this is linked off a thread i posted a few minutes ago, sorry for the 'spam' haha

i'm really stuck , there's so many nice OD pedals out there to choose from and idk what one to go for

i've looked at:
Ibanez ts7
Ibanez ts808
Ibanez ts9
Maxon OD808
Maxon OD9 pro+
Maxon true tube OD
MJM phantom
Way huge green rhino

(i'm aware ibanez and maxon are pretty much the same but hey)

I play metal/hardcore/melodic hardcore mainly, but i do like to experiment out into other genres
i'm playing through a peavey jsx and an ltd ec-1000
I'm also in the UK

Any help or narrowing down would be much appreciated !
ts-7 IMO you can get one fairly cheap and its almost the same circuit as a ts9 and i believe you can mod it to ts-9 specs if your handy with a soldering iron. they are extremely fugly though imo
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
TS7 would work fine.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
TS7 is great but the Green Rhino is a bit more versatile than the rest. If all you need is a boost to tighten up your amp, just pick up a TS7. If you want a nice standalone OD in addition to a boost for tightening up your amp, the Green Rhino is a solid choice with awesome build quality.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
take a look at the tonerider american od. Supposedly it's very close (if not a direct clone) to a ts9, with true bypass, and is £50 delivered.

I haven't tried it, but i have their distortion and chorus and they're both very nice for the money. They're also reliable (unlike things like biyang which sound good, but which break ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bad Monkey OD. Great OD for the price. I was going to get one but I sold some sports cards to get the OD808. Once I played it, I had to have it.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by DroptuneD
Bad Monkey OD. Great OD for the price. I was going to get one but I sold some sports cards to get the OD808. Once I played it, I had to have it.

+1 for the Bad Monkey. I use to own one before I upgraded to the Maxon OD808, can't go wrong with either. I'd recommend either of them but if you don't own a noise gate I'd suggest getting that first (Boss ns-2/ISP Decimator) and then get a Bad Monkey instead of a tubescreamer if you can't afford one.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
budget isn't really an issue, this is just so i can broaden my search and actually find the one that'd suit me best haha
i would get the ts7 for the price, but its OD sounds really thin imo, whereas the maxon pro+9 has a really full sounding OD

any other suggestions?
Try the BBE Green Screamer.

Mostly because I have never heard one and want to know if they are any good. They are a nice price.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Owned both TS808 and OD808, The Maxon sounds "better" but the Ibanez is built better.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Well i'm going to suggest something a little less known, just to give you some more options. A guy on Youtube called Gearmanndude (sounds like jack black) sells his own personal pedal, the Luther Drive, and it sounds awesome imo. nice and clear and creamy, and he also has some videos comparing it to some other OD's to help you decide. It is $107 with shipping I believe, but you said price wasn't a problem.Heres a video with it vs the OD808. Good luck
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
I'm liking my maxon OSD9 I picked up for cheap used. maybe try that? might have to be patient, I only had to wait a week or so before one popped up in the classifieds near me. maybe it was luck.
ts-7 is best for the price. it sounds good on its own but even better after you mod it. they are very easy to mod. i just modded mine to be an 808 and it sounds really good.
Quote by bogg808
klon centaur

lulz.

I'm annoyed the Fulldrive II didn't make the list. It's easily in the price range of the Maxons. (and better)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Maxon Od808 is just hands down one of the best things to happen to my tone. Can't go wrong with it.
It may be a wee bit pricey/hard to come by but if you can get your hands on a Crowther Hot Cake (hand made in NZ), they are saweeeeeeeeet. It's my workhorse and through a blues jnr and my old 60's Harmony Rocket....dreamy.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
mxr classic overdrive
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by rawkandrowl
Try the BBE Green Screamer.

Mostly because I have never heard one and want to know if they are any good. They are a nice price.

they aren't over here. Dude is in the UK.

Just to point out, a lot of the things (not just the BBE) suggested in here are not that great value here... that's why i suggested the tonerider.

But I mean if budget's not a problem you can go boutique (though a lot of those are poor value here too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ah gotcha....I wonder how much it would cost to build a tube screamer style pedal. I have been getting that thought in the back of my mind like it could be cool to build my own pedal. But I would have to start small. Maybe with some kind of kit or something.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
yeah most of those kit guys are based in the USA too, so they're not as cheap here as they'd be in the US. Though I know of several people from the UK doing it anyway, so maybe it's not as dear as I thought. Or maybe they just wanted to try building one like you. I know places like BYOC etc. offer full kits... might be worth considering. Alternatively some places will sell the PCB separately, so it might be cheaper to get the PCB, and then see if you can source the parts more cheaply than the kit (though it might end up being a bit of a faff to save like $3, lol).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah there are a bunch of options. General guitar gadgets (something like that) is another one. There are a couple of EU-based ones in Germany, now that I remember, too- musikding or something like that, and there's another one whose name I can't think of at the moment
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ONCE AGAIN ILL SAY IT! deltalabs tube driver! cheaper than cheap and great sounding!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Have you ever looked into the Fulltone OCD? It's a bit more expensive but I've had one for years and love it.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
I'm not an experienced player.. but i think boss bd-2 is also a good pedal.. and i rarely seen it mentioned in this kind of topic.. isn't it?
You might look at the Malekko Omicron Fuzz. I just got one in on Monday and so far I like it better than the TS9DX I was using before.

EDIT: even though you are UK, I believe proguitarshop.com ship internationally which is where I picked mine up, they have a vid too.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Last edited by Arch1119 at Apr 7, 2011,
I really liked my vooodoo lab sparkle drive - 808 clone and clean boost in one pedal. I sold it when I needed cash and replaced with a dano cool cat transparent OD - have to say for a low cost pedal that thing is fantastic....
i had a field day on black friday, MXR ZW OD for $30 bucks new
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The Maxon OD808 is the OG, for the record.. *cough cough*

But, the Boss SD1, Ibby TS7/9, Digitech bad Monkey... The Boss and Bad Monkey are super easy to mod, too.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
The Maxon OD808 is the OG, for the record.. *cough cough*

But, the Boss SD1, Ibby TS7/9, Digitech bad Monkey... The Boss and Bad Monkey are super easy to mod, too.

The new ones are real cheap inside and aren't even an 808 - they're a TS-10 board.

You'd be further ahead to mod an OD9.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Dwarfcraft 'The Internet'
http://www.moogaudio.com/dwarfcraft-devices-the-internet-p-4419.html
I found it's a little bit heavier sounding then the tubescreamer and has a optional boost too
I hype the shit out of this pedal but it really is my new favorite toy and has a little more character to it then most pedals
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Last edited by Shayne777 at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The new ones are real cheap inside and aren't even an 808 - they're a TS-10 board.

You'd be further ahead to mod an OD9.

What the Maxon OD808? Really? That's disappoint.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by rawkandrowl
Ah gotcha....I wonder how much it would cost to build a tube screamer style pedal. I have been getting that thought in the back of my mind like it could be cool to build my own pedal. But I would have to start small. Maybe with some kind of kit or something.

I build most of my pedals. Cost would depend on a few things. The components alone are like 5 - 10 bucks not including an enclosure. But, you need a decent soldering iron, wire cutters/other tools, copper clad board and some chems to etch it if you don't want to use veroboard or something similar, etc.
I use a Biyang OD-8, a supposed TS9 (or is it a TS808?) clone. I like it.. and it hasn't broke on me.
okay so i'm either looking at getting
ts-7 w/mod
maxon OD808
or the maxon OD9pro+

i'm still looking into a few of these suggestions but those 3 are appealing most atm
what would i have to do to mod the ts7?

-EDIT
the boss blues driver 2 also sounds like a good choice, its got a nice natural boost to it which is what i'm after, any opinions on that?
Last edited by JakeLTD at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by WhoDooVooDoo
I use a Biyang OD-8, a supposed TS9 (or is it a TS808?) clone. I like it.. and it hasn't broke on me.

I'm not sure either, I just know it sounds pretty tubescreamery. Mine hasn't broken either, but my other couple of biyangs (fuzz and phaser) did.

If you could guarantee it wouldn't break, it's a nice pedal, as it does the tubescreamery thing, but is also a bit more versatile with the different modes and chips.

Quote by JakeLTD
okay so i'm either looking at getting
ts-7 w/mod
maxon OD808
or the maxon OD9pro+

i'm still looking into a few of these suggestions but those 3 are appealing most atm
what would i have to do to mod the ts7?

-EDIT
the boss blues driver 2 also sounds like a good choice, its got a nice natural boost to it which is what i'm after, any opinions on that?

why are they appealing the most? Have you even read the responses in the thread?

I mean it's your money, and you're entitled to do what you want, but when I hear that the maxon od808 is a ts10 board i.e. not the sought-after one, at all... now I realise that a lot of the reasons that the original 808 is sought after are based on esoteric bullshit, but the od808 charges a similar price to the 808 and doesn't even deign to pay lipservice to that arcane bullshit, lol.

I mean it's like if I say "Probiotic yoghurt is bullshit, but it sells for £3 while normal bog-standard yoghurt sells for £1. Here, I'll sell you some normal yoghurt, but in a carton which says "Probiotic", for £2.50. It's a good deal, I think you should take it."

I mean if you just want a bog-standard TS, you can get one from e.g. tonerider for £50, and it's true bypass too (or at least claims to be).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 8, 2011,