Well i can't remember how this came up exactly but my friend wanted to send her boyfriend (who lives in canada) a phone but she lives in Australia and she was wondering if the phone will even work in canada if it comes from Australia.

I don't know much about mobiles so i didn't know what to tell her. Does anyone here in the pit know?

Also if you're going to say "Why doesn't he just buy his own phone?" I asked the same thing and she got snippy so i'm not gonna push that one lol.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
As long as it's not locked to an Australian network, yes.

And don't use an Australian network by mistake, or you will pay ALL the fees. They charge a shitload for international roaming.
depends. if it's a phone on a carrier then it may not work. but if it's a standalone phone ie.: a motorola phone as compared to Verizon Wiresless (as the case in the US) phone. then he can get it set up with a Canadian carrier
Hmm, i'll ask her about those things. If it's on a network can you take it off? Or is it like attached to the phone for good?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Umm overseas I don't know...

(I'm from Australia, so sorry if you don't have these companies over there)

If I bought a Telstra-locked phone, it won't work without a Telstra simcard, while it's locked. The locked period will vary depending on the phone and the carrier, but I'm pretty sure most of them unlock over time; 6 months would be fairly typical.

You could also go to a Telstra shop and ask them to unlock it for you, for a fee, but if it's locked to an overseas network, I'm not sure how you'd do that...
Like everyone else has said, it will probably only work if the phone is unlocked. It costs about $80AUD to get a phone unlocked from a network. I'm also pretty sure you will have to get it unlocked before it gets shipped. Also, @Wolffgang, I think all of the network auto-unlock periods are about 12 - 18 months after purchase.

OR

You can buy a phone outright, with no network lock and send it. I think these cost a little more than their network-locked counterparts.
Quote by soulflyV
You can buy a phone outright, with no network lock and send it. I think these cost a little more than their network-locked counterparts.

Probably depends on the type of phone.

I bought a shitty little $50 with no network, and the same phone locked to a network could cost the same price or more.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Probably depends on the type of phone.

I bought a shitty little $50 with no network, and the same phone locked to a network could cost the same price or more.

I see.

I bought my Samsung Galaxy S outright and unlocked and it cost more than the Telstra or Optus ones.
Why not just have her buy it online from a Canadian shop?
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
No man, they don't have phones in canada, they teach Polar bears to speak and then use them as message-boys.