Hey Guys!!

Basically ive been having alot of thoughts for making songs or riffs recently...I could be sleeping daydreaming or just jamming. And i released that... if i were making a song out of a great riff, the riff is pure imagination not based on any scale or anything. How Do I Find The Right Key, Scale, for the Solo???
Will really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Look at which notes you are playing or the notes that make up the chords you are playing and then see which key they fit into. The notes don't need to all be in the same key either, you can change keys along with the riff.

Let's say your riff followed Am/BM/Dm/Em, you could play in A minor over everything except that BM and just play BM chord tones over that chord.
Last edited by mousecape at Apr 5, 2011,
See where it resolves to.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Voodoo13
the riff is pure imagination not based on any scale or anything. How Do I Find The Right Key, Scale, for the Solo???

Thanks

use the key of imagination?
sing it with me
imaginaaaaaaaay-ay-tion imagination, imaaaaaaaaginaaaaaaaaaaaay-tion

really though, you can boil any piece of music down to keys and tonal centers. i would start by determining its root key and then figuring out how the groupings of notes work harmonically and then go from there.
use this amazing ear and imagination of your's to write the other song parts, and start learning theory so in the future you understand what keys/scales to use etc. its not quite as simple as "hey how do i write a mad hard rock guitar solo?" "oh just click your heals 3 times and say 'there's no guitar solo like a van halen guitar solo'" no u gotta learn things that take a lil while, takes some people longer than others depending on things like natural talent (if u dont have it that doesnt make u bad, unnatural guitarists can learn to be amazing too), on your ability to learn things quickly in general, and on your resources (lessons, books, internet, etc.). be patient and your music will become better and better, happy shredding
Quote by Voodoo13
Hey Guys!!

Basically ive been having alot of thoughts for making songs or riffs recently...I could be sleeping daydreaming or just jamming. And i released that... if i were making a song out of a great riff, the riff is pure imagination not based on any scale or anything. How Do I Find The Right Key, Scale, for the Solo???

Thanks

Know your theory. That's the answer. How well do you know your theory? If you know theory and can apply it then you can more than likely understand what you are doing.

You are right in one sense, though, the ultimate endgame is to be able to draw out what you hear in your mind to the fretboard, but also to know what you are doing, so that you have a full palette of options that you can create with.

You understand what the end game is, but many people can play a lifetime and never get there. In my experience, the ones that do eventually get there are those that understand what's going on in the big picture, inside and out.

What are your plans for getting there?

Best,

Sean
the title is quite misleading! or maybe not, and knowing your scales makes masterpieces
Last edited by gavk at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by mousecape
Look at which notes you are playing or the notes that make up the chords you are playing and then see which key they fit into. The notes don't need to all be in the same key either, you can change keys along with the riff.

Let's say your riff followed Am/BM/Dm/Em, you could play in A minor over everything except that BM and just play BM chord tones over that chord.

But if i was just sitting with a friend each with our guitars...And he starts a nice A 12bar blues... I mean, I don't really have time to analyse which notes in which mode will clash and so on. So is this purely for songwriting.. Or when i have time to analyse. Or should they be memorized??
Quote by Sean0913
Know your theory. That's the answer. How well do you know your theory? If you know theory and can apply it then you can more than likely understand what you are doing.

You are right in one sense, though, the ultimate endgame is to be able to draw out what you hear in your mind to the fretboard, but also to know what you are doing, so that you have a full palette of options that you can create with.

You understand what the end game is, but many people can play a lifetime and never get there. In my experience, the ones that do eventually get there are those that understand what's going on in the big picture, inside and out.

What are your plans for getting there?

Best,

Sean

I would say i know my theory very well... Btw Ive been playing for about 1.5 years now( Not bragging but i can play (jimi hendrix and gary moore perfectly) (and yngwie's cleanly and almost exact) so im not completely illiterate...So you can be specific... And im planning to be a guitarist but dont know how to tell my parents considering im going to boarding school which is expensive and they woulde prefer if i was in the buisness industry not that they would they would just be scared lol...

Btw you guys know any good cooling down excersises??
Quote by Voodoo13
( Not bragging but i can play (jimi hendrix and gary moore perfectly) (and yngwie's cleanly and almost exact)

No you can't.
Quote by gavk
the title is quite misleading! or maybe not, and knowing your scales makes masterpieces

Yeah, scales don't make anything, they are just a tool in helping you find your place. You don't need to know scales persay, you just need to use your ear. Scales just make things faster to find.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, scales don't make anything, they are just a tool in helping you find your place. You don't need to know scales persay, you just need to use your ear. Scales just make things faster to find.

Well it really helps to know what notes are chord tones, scale tones and chromatic embellishments.

Ultimate we use our ears to hear what sounds right and riffing over scales is boring and sounds boring.

But a bit of knowledge can go a long way on helping to relate concepts to other musicians, remember what we are doing and why, and knowing how and when to apply well tested musical idioms.

We spend a lot of time working on technique (at least I sped a fair amount of time), but just as important is trying to understand the grammar and vocabulary of music. Learning tunes, learning riffs, learning scales, arpeggios, chord progressions, and other musical concepts that are tried and tested gives a guitar player MORE to work with -- these are more tools and more valuable than any particular piece of gear or technique -- after all, the guitar is just the instrument -- the final product we want is music.
i dont know much about theory but over the years ive gotten much better at joing riffs together,thats how i make my song up,doesnt matter if its a riff from 10 years ago and a riff i made up last week,they seem to match up pretty quickly,i guess ive found my way,good luck to you
Quote by Voodoo13
Hey Guys!!

Thanks

It helps to know music and theory. Knowing what you are doing can answer a lot of the most common problems.

Sean
Quote by griffRG7321
No you can't.

Umm I kinda put the ''Not bragging'' so people like you don't get jealous...
Quote by Voodoo13

Jealous? hardly. I've been playing for a considerable amount of time, and know for a fact it takes longer than a year of playing to develop the technique, vibrato and feel to pull off Malmsteen/hendrix 'perfect and almost exact'.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by Voodoo13

i doubt it's jealousy to be honest. any videos on youtube etc of your playing these perfectly?
This is a ridiculous claim. Even if you could play all guitar heros with youre big toe in 3 part harmony, that doesnt say a thing about theory, by the way a lot of people can learn these from Lick Library in a year, hell even I can play Black Star and I don't even play it. That doesn't equal theory or proficiency.

But since you know theory, you take a look at all the notes, and determine the key that the notes come from, and then you look at the progression and determine its tonality as well. That IS the answer...you have the answer since you know theory, maybe you just didn't realize how to put it together, but basically you just find the central tone, look at the function of each note against the tone, and you have your key.

Its all about resolution. By the way if you aren't a troll, and you know all that you say and claim, you are the first in my 26 years of playing and teaching in this world that Ive come across that is that far advanced.

Please post a you tube video playing and breaking down the functions of any song, be it Gary Moore or Mary Had a Little Lamb. I'm sure it would be inspiring to watch! I'll try not to be jealous.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
I'm sure it would be inspiring to watch! I'll try not to be jealous.

Best,

Sean

Quote by Voodoo13
But if i was just sitting with a friend each with our guitars...And he starts a nice A 12bar blues... I mean, I don't really have time to analyse which notes in which mode will clash and so on. So is this purely for songwriting.. Or when i have time to analyse. Or should they be memorized??

Well a 12 bar blues doesn't use modes. That should make your life a bit easier now. I bet Gary Moore or Hendrix could have told you that.

As for ridiculous claims;

Quote by Sean
Its all about resolution. By the way if you aren't a troll, and you know all that you say and claim, you are the first in my 26 years of playing and teaching in this world that Ive come across that is that far advanced.

Actually it's quite clear on your profile that you were born in 1999. That makes you 11/12 years old. There's no way you could have been playing for 26 years
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well a 12 bar blues doesn't use modes. That should make your life a bit easier now. I bet Gary Moore or Hendrix could have told you that.

As for ridiculous claims;

Maybe i should have mentioned Gary Moore Blues.
But honestly i don't need you to believe me. I was just stating.
Okay ill put a video up. Its not that hard really i said (Jimi and Gary Moore) because jimi isnt all about speed. And feel comes from the day you first pick up a guitar its not something you can learn. You learn to express yourself through it. And i said yngwie because he is mostly about sweeps and things..

And another thing i was just using modes as an example.
Its kind of hard because in my country the internet is kinda slow. but as soon as possible ill put one up. Plus i dont even really like yngwie..unless hes playing Blues.
What got me into guitar was BB.King so vibrato was the first thing i worked on 'FYI'
Its not about how long you play it about how much of that time you wasted. Im actually 16years old.

Note: I didnt say im as good as them, i said i can replicate them. I cant compose a piece like little wing because im not at that level yet. And everybody can tremelo and if you practice hand syncing for over 500 days without 1 day breaks i pretty sure you can get (almost) sweeps done and playing fast (not faster , FAST) down. And i can play some yngwie because i got into fast playing such as Yngwie Malmsteen so i could play Hendrix.

Btw ALAN as funny as you think you are they're dead. So they could'nt

P.s I dont even play Guitar Hero or wont to shred like MAB.
So you guys must be pretty useles if youve been playing for 26 years and cant play Yngwies or Jimi Hendrix songs<--- Its his soul thats hard to replicate not his songs.

And thanks Sean thats good to know
Last edited by Voodoo13 at Apr 13, 2011,