Howdy! I plan on doing background vocals for my band however it seems like everytime i try to i end up messing up my bass line or vocals. any techniques to help me get the two down?
Left handed bass player

1998 Fender Mexico Jazz Bass

2006 Warwick 5-string Rockbass
Practice, a lot. Honestly, that's all there is to it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
yea i have been doesnt seem to be getting any better lol
Left handed bass player

1998 Fender Mexico Jazz Bass

2006 Warwick 5-string Rockbass
Quote by STUMPEHH
yea i have been doesnt seem to be getting any better lol
It takes a while.

Also, make sure you can do both parts individually without having to think about them. If you have to focus on one, then the other will suffer.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
if you have a recording practice the song to that, if not record a scratch track with all the vocal parts and practice with it until you feel comfortable doing both bass and vocals at the same time.
I do backing vocals for my band and that's what works for me to learn the songs, just make sure you know your bass part perfectly before you try adding vocals.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I used to just play bass in my band and I knew the songs back and forth without looking at my board. But, when we needed a backup singer, I jumped in. I know that because I knew the songs so well, I didn't need to focus on the bass playing. But it's still hard sometimes when it comes to harder riffs and screaming/singing.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5