Hey everyone, I apologize for starting another "which amp" thread but I wanted some more side-by-side comparisons. I have really been looking at the Fender Hot Rod, 60w with 2x12 from what I've read. (I originally wanted the 4x10 but I think the 212 would fit me better) of course just lately I've also gotten really interested in Vox as well as Marshall, and i think an Orange would be cool too if i could find a cheaper one. I'm wanting a combo that is loud enough to be heard over drums, I'd gig with it too but most the venues I play at have PA's and mic the amps anyway.

Currently I have the 100w Fender Frontman 212. I like it but my other guitarist has a tube peavy something (heritage I think) and I am jealous of his tube sound although I am not a huge peavy fan. I prefer Fender guitars, I have a MIM Strat and I wanna get a Jazzmaster soon too. I just like the feel of a good Fender.

My band plays punk/pop punk but I do like to venture out into blusey stuff on my own. As far as distortion goes, I don't care for in-amp distortion, I have a Zvex distortron that I love.

I would prefer something under $1,000 I know that most the higher watt Orange and Vox are probably gonna be over that price but if it's well worth it I might be willing to spend more.

So guys, any advice?
Look into a used Vox AC30CC2; I'm pretty sure Tom DeLonge uses AC30s now (although he might be using the real mccoy since he's, you know, loaded) and so do countless other bands.
Awesome thanks man, I'll have to try it out. I'm at work so I can't do much other than browse websites on my phone, but I'm on MF and they have an AC30 and an AC30C2X and there's about a thousand dollar price difference, is the C2X all-tube and the other just solid-state?
well if you have a solid sound system and your micing it, go with a 2x12 (mostly for projection to you on stage and portability) and you can get away with lower wattage (ie- less than 100 or 50 watts).

my good friend uses your same amp. no offense, but i think its crap. i think it has no business being on stage. the 40 watt hot rod eats it for breakfast, literally. by that i mean the ht rod completely overpowers it, easily 2x as loud. i mean really, like 1 guitarist has to max out the frontman and the hot rod is on like 4 or 5.

so if your buying wattage compared to your 100 watter frontman, you wil lbe really surprised with a comparative tuber sounds like with quality components (speakers and such).
Yeah definitely. I've never had a tube amp before so I'm kinda excited to get one, I've been researching different ones all week haha. Actually I just started another thread, I should just copy some of the stuff to here and delete that one. But I've been looking into the AC30, I had a question, the effects loop it has, the way I'm understanding that is that it's like a footswitch that bypasses all your effects at once. Does it work for other effect pedals or is it just for the on-amp effects?

Lately I've also been looking at the Fender Twin Reverbs, it sounds like the HRD is a more distortion-centered amp and to be honest, I'm not real impressed with Fender's distortion, I like the cleans though. I would just rather have the reverb or something on an amp footswitch than distortion.

Then I got curious about the Vox AC15 just because they weigh less and are cheaper, how big of a difference is there between them and AC30's? Other than pure wattage, I'm pretty sure even a 15w tube would get close to as loud as my SS Fender haha.

AND, What are your opinions on comparable Orange and Traynor amps? 30-ish watt 2x12. Oranges are a bit out of my price range, but I've never heard anything bad about them, and if I could save up a little more in addition to paying off my credit card they could be an option haha. And then how do the Traynor YGL-2's sound? I don't know of any dealers in my area but I've heard they sound like a mix between Fender and Vox.
Then you also have the YCS50 custom special wicj is switchable between both American and British voicings and also between 15w Class A or 50w Class A/B. It's a great amp IMO. I'm looking into etting one myself.
Quote by ptregaskis
Hey everyone, I apologize for starting another "which amp" thread but I wanted some more side-by-side comparisons. I have really been looking at the Fender Hot Rod, 60w with 2x12 from what I've read. (I originally wanted the 4x10 but I think the 212 would fit me better) of course just lately I've also gotten really interested in Vox as well as Marshall, and i think an Orange would be cool too if i could find a cheaper one. I'm wanting a combo that is loud enough to be heard over drums, I'd gig with it too but most the venues I play at have PA's and mic the amps anyway.

Currently I have the 100w Fender Frontman 212. I like it but my other guitarist has a tube peavy something (heritage I think) and I am jealous of his tube sound although I am not a huge peavy fan. I prefer Fender guitars, I have a MIM Strat and I wanna get a Jazzmaster soon too. I just like the feel of a good Fender.

My band plays punk/pop punk but I do like to venture out into blusey stuff on my own. As far as distortion goes, I don't care for in-amp distortion, I have a Zvex distortron that I love.

I would prefer something under $1,000 I know that most the higher watt Orange and Vox are probably gonna be over that price but if it's well worth it I might be willing to spend more.

So guys, any advice?

I'm not surprised given that you own a Frontman - you'll change your opinion when you've got a decent amp
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What about the Blackstar HT-40? On it you can dial between American and British voices. I was going to get one but they were all sold out and waiting on shipments. I bought a Bogner Alchemist 112 instead which was a pretty good amp.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by steven seagull
I'm not surprised given that you own a Frontman - you'll change your opinion when you've got a decent amp

Is it a world of difference going from using in-amp distortion on a SS to a Tube? I'm excited to go try all these out, thanks for the advice!
I think if you are going to be using your pedals for distortion, go for clean.

If you have a base clean, it really shows off how good a pedal can be(especially zvex!)

Orange does have really nice cleans, but the reason people buy them is for their amazing overdrive.

I use a Fender Twin reverb, which is perfect for getting the crunch out of a pedal(Big Muff Pi sounds fantastic). but unless you buy it used or from craigslist, you might be looking at over 1000.

I really like the Vox AC15 or AC30 as a choice for you. They have a remarkable top boost channel that gives you a really rich, creamy tone for you to work your pedal around that really brings out a distortion pedals tone. The problem you might find with the CC or the CC2 versions is the somewhat crappy speakers they come with.
Again the ac30 might run a little above a 1000.

Which leads me to believe that the ac15 is up your alley. Much better mobility and still has a brilliant tone to contest with. It can be loud as hell, but with a mic set up(which almost every decent venue will have) you will get that thing shining through.

Even while practicing you don't even need to push the thing too hard to get over the drums. IMO its a fantastic amp.

Hope that helps
Thank you for all the suggestions, I greatly appreciate them. I've played forever but I haven't gotten real into it until this year and with all the different things I need/want I feel a bit overwhelmed haha.
Quote by ptregaskis
Is it a world of difference going from using in-amp distortion on a SS to a Tube? I'm excited to go try all these out, thanks for the advice!

Definitely, it's not in the levels of distortion, it's in the quality of the tone - certainly even a cheap tube amp will sound far more organic than the Frontman which sounds thin, flat and fizzy. By comparison a tube amp will sound warmer and "larger" due to the wider harmonic range - the smaller ones can sound a little "boxy" due to the smaller speakers but even then that's often the sound people want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Go to a store and have them set up an amp and take your pedal with you to compare the distortions. Try every amp you can in your price range and pick a few and A/B them until you can narrow it down.

Amps/brands I'd recommend to check out, in no particular order:
Jet City
Some of the larger Blackstars
Egnater
Used Marshall JCM
Alright so I went to GC and tried out a bunch of stuff. I mostly played with an AC30C2 which I really liked and think I'm gonna get. I was curious about the AC15, but I figured I can handle the heavier amp, and this way I won't be in need of another upgrade later ya know? I tried out a Fender Blues Deluxe too, as well as an Orange something-or-other. The Orange blew me away, after using that Frontman I have now I figured all in-amp distortion sucked, but boy was I wrong. The Fender I tried didn't impress me quite as much as the Vox and the Orange. I was gonna try the Twin Reverb, but I ended up buying a cheap PA system for the vocals in my band and then I kinda wanted to get out before I was tempted to break out credit cards haha. I did decide to go with the Vox over the Orange though just because the Vox seemed a bit more versatile. I only noticed one channel on the Orange so I wouldn't be able to switch from distortion to clean very well, and because I'm kinda dumb I forgot to bring my dist. pedal :-/

I have one more question though about this stuff. I was looking in the "popular musicians' rigs" thread and noticed a lot of them use splitters so they can switch between two different amps during a show. Would this work for me if I got a splitter and ran it to the lead boost, and regular channels on the Vox? That way I could have a good distortion, and a good clean. I was also thinking I could use the pedals I like that add to clean tones for the clean channel and the distortion on the lead boost (with the amp gain turned down if I wanted to use the pedal) and that way I wouldn't have to switch 2-4 pedals off and on to get really pretty, refined sounding cleans ya know? Tell me what you guys think about this idea.