So I was just sitting around, and thinking about how much better of a person I'd be if I could play the harmonica. Also, I was listening to Tom Petty; this might have had some kind of impact.

Anyways, I looked them up on Musiciansfriend, and realized that they have a harmonica based off of every note, at which point, I kinda just stared at the screen for awhile.

Basically, I wanted to ask if there's a "standard" harmonica, that suits more things than any other, and, if not, which one would be coolest to buy.

So, yeah; bestow me with your harmonica-related wisdom.
I have a key of C harmonica.

I wish I had some more keys.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I think everyone wishes they could play the harmonica, but nobody puts in the time.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by bradulator
I have a key of C harmonica.

I wish I had some more keys.

like A and T?
Quote by Wisthekiller
I have a six sided one (six different keys, kind of in a wheel) valued at $400 if you're interested...
I have $43 dollars, $18 of which I owe to a dealer. Do we have a deal?
You can buy a chromatic tuner, which isn't set to a scale, or you can buy your standard ones like a D or a C harmonica, which you can use to play in either one of two scales if you cross-harp.
Last edited by hamett91 at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by Wisthekiller
I have a six sided one (six different keys, kind of in a wheel) valued at $400 if you're interested...

Gimme 6 different diatonic harmonicas and a solder gun...

...at least $300 in profit.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
You can buy them in any key, additionally you can buy a chromatica which has a method of playing in all keys. It has either a slide to transpose or all semi tones.

If you want to start, start with C. It'll go best with a piano and it's a comfortable range. G is also good as is Bb.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
you can buy a chormatic harmonica
or just buy the keys which you thing youd be playing in th emost
C A G E D are the ones id get

i wish i could play the harp better
I'm planning on buying a key D harmonica as soon as my exams are over and I have enough money.
Quote by abdulalhazred

Quote by RPBiohazard

Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote by Garou1911
^
I think C is the most standard (it's the one I've seen the most). G comes next (and it's used to play the Office theme song, if that's what you want). Those are the two harmonicas I have, and they work well.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I recommend getting something like a Hohner Big River Harp. Runs about $20, but is much easier and nicer to play than the cheap guys. Hohner Marine Band's sound really nice too, run about $30. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $20 given that there's a pretty good probability you will get bored and give up on it.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by dmiwshicldply
but if you wanna go the bob dylan route and just blow on the damn thing then I don't guess it would matter what you learned on

Awwww

You make me cry
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by dmiwshicldply
Hey I love bob dylan one of my favorite people but he's not exactly a harmonica prodigy now is he?

Depends on what you are after. His playing fits his music, voice and lyrics like a piece of cake on a cake plate. But he might not be a virtuos no.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash