Okay, I've been like this for as long as I remember and it's really hard to explain. Anyways, Freud mentioned the Id and the Superego as that angel and devil on your shoulder. Well, I always thought my way of thinking was normal, like whenever I see something or am confronted with something to think about I have two thoughts completely contradictory on everything. It kinda gives me the ability to see both sides to everything. I always say it's like my creative side and my logical side, or my Romantic era thinker and Enlightenment era thinker. Like I kinda feel like I'm two different people I guess.

Well to get to the point I was talking about this with several of my friends and they thought it was weird, and they don't have thoughts like that. My girlfriend said I should see a therapist about it, and I guess the Id, Ego, and Superego are all supposed to be subconcious. I don't know, does anyone else think this way?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I think you're describing that in a way that makes it sound weirder than it is.

And the ego is mostly conscious, and the superego partially conscious, I think. They're not all unconscious, they're a model of the mind that's supposed to make up all of your thought processes. Although they don't, because psychology has changed since then.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by Glythium
It seems like your friends don't have a conscience.

Well it's not like guiding me on right or wrong, it's hard to explain. It's like one side romanticizes almost everything and the other side tries to use cold logic. I don't know how to explain it any better than me, but they feel like two different people, but not in like a schizophrenic way.
euhhhh. I have an imaginary friend named Simon... or Jack I cant remember his name. He tells me to do some funy stuff. Or they. Are they 2? wait I dont remember...

You do not need to consult a psycho guy. You are just more enlighted then others and care about other peoples reaction. You are the next budha
its not a personality order, dichotonomy in the human thought process is very normal. Are you also familiar with his theories on eros and thanatos?
Quote by tayroar
Well it's not like guiding me on right or wrong, it's hard to explain. It's like one side romanticizes almost everything and the other side tries to use cold logic. I don't know how to explain it any better than me, but they feel like two different people, but in like a schizophrenic way.

Oh...

I was trying to be teh funniez. I don't know really, I thought everyone could approach problems from more than one "angle" or point-of-view.
Quote by piratemetalhead
its not a personality order, dichotonomy in the human thought process is very normal. Are you also familiar with his theories on eros and thanatos?

I've never heard of it, I know very little Freud.
I don't really know what this has to do with id, ego, and superego. Doesn't everybody have different "sides" to themselves?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
I don't really know what this has to do with id, ego, and superego. Doesn't everybody have different "sides" to themselves?

Idk, we both see our left side right now.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Glythium
It seems like your friends don't have a conscience.

Yup, no coscience friends.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Idk, we both see our left side right now.

Or is it our right?
From what I remember from psychology (not a lot), I don't think what you're describing really applies to Freud's id-ego-superego model.

To me, it sounds like what you're describing is called "making a decision." Simple as that. Doesn't everyone approach problems in several different ways before deciding the best thing to do?

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
From what I remember from psychology (not a lot), I don't think what you're describing really applies to Freud's id-ego-superego model.

To me, it sounds like you're describing is called "making a decision." Simple as that. Doesn't everyone approach problems in several different ways before deciding the best thing to do?

It's not just my decision making process, that was just an example. It's like everything is contradictory, I don't know how to explain it better, it's just my thoughts on everything, and the two sides of my personality are constantly arguing, like almost a fight for how I'll become. One side will plant an idea and the otherside will freak out and become paranoid about it, I have to play tricks on myself like a preemptive reaction for things I might become paranoid about just to keep from feeling paranoid later in the night.
Quote by tayroar
It's not just my decision making process, that was just an example. It's like everything is contradictory, I don't know how to explain it better, it's just my thoughts on everything, and the two sides of my personality are constantly arguing, like almost a fight for how I'll become. One side will plant an idea and the otherside will freak out and become paranoid about it, I have to play tricks on myself like a preemptive reaction for things I might become paranoid about just to keep from feeling paranoid later in the night.

This is dissociative identity disorder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder
Wow. Freudian Psychology with the Pit, I didn't know that we were that sophisticated. I always though the three parts were subconscious, but maybe not for everyone. And take into mind that many of Freud's ideas have been disreguarded by modern psychologists. Sometimes Father doesn't know best. Get the pun?
Quote by tayroar
They don't ever take control, like I don't know, they wander like thoughts, but like they never have control of my arms or what not, just like my thoughts. I'm not multiple personality.

Regardless, Freud's id/ego/superego theory is unable to be proven and thus not used in modern psychology.

I don't know what's wrong with you. I'm not a psychologist. Go to the doctor, receive meds.
buy a DSM and start diagnosing yourself. ambivalence is a serious problem among today's youth.