I'm getting a new amp for my bedroom however the house I live in is terraced, and because of this I can rarely play loudly.
I'm considering buying either the Blackstar HT-5 (or HT-5R) when it's released, or the Blackstar HT-1.
I realize that the HT-5 has some extra features when compared to the HT-1, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra price tag, especially if I'll only be using it in my bedroom, since I have another amp that I leave where me and my friends practice.

So here's the main question - Will a cranked HT-1 sound much better tonally, in comparison to a much quieter HT-5? Or will they sound more or less the same, only with the HT-5 I'll be able to enjoy having a channel switching pedal/effects loop/2 emulated output settings/etc

Thanks
The volume difference won't be huge, go for the HT-5 for the extra features.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
The volume difference won't be huge, go for the HT-5 for the extra features.

I'm not so much talking about volume difference, it's just I know that a cranked amp is supposed to sound amazing, but how much different will it be tonally compared to an HT-5 that isn't being pushed as much?
Even a crank 1w tube amp wont sound that great. Hell, you can probably still hear you're strings over the amplifier. My only experience with these types of tiny amps was the Jet City Picovalve ($299). It is a 5w amp with a switchable 2w button on the back. The 2w was a perfect bedroom amp when CRANKED (volume at 10). The 5w was good too, when around ~5 volume. At 10 the thing was just a bit too loud to play without disturbing anyone else.

The HT-5 is pretty similar from overhearing someone else playing it, looks like it had a few more knobs. You're never going to get uber metal tones out of such a small valve amp - so it all depends on what you need from it.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 5, 2011,
I'm saying that you won;t be able to crank the HT-1 much more than the 5 because the volume will be pretty close. My HT-5 sounds fine at lower volumes.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
what sort of music do you play TS?

I find that higher wattage amps at lower volumes still sound better than cranked lower wattage amps.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
Quote by Tom 1.0
what sort of music do you play TS?

I find that higher wattage amps at lower volumes still sound better than cranked lower wattage amps.

Generally I play metal, my band plays thrash metal but that's about it (nothing too extreme).
I'm 'learning' guitar properly too, so I want a somewhat large range of tones.
As far as I'm concerned though the Blackstar seems to be the only viable option for a low watt tube amp that has some decent gain.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Even a crank 1w tube amp wont sound that great. Hell, you can probably still hear you're strings over the amplifier. My only experience with these types of tiny amps was the Jet City Picovalve ($299). It is a 5w amp with a switchable 2w button on the back. The 2w was a perfect bedroom amp when CRANKED (volume at 10). The 5w was good too, when around ~5 volume. At 10 the thing was just a bit too loud to play without disturbing anyone else.

The HT-5 is pretty similar from overhearing someone else playing it, looks like it had a few more knobs. You're never going to get uber metal tones out of such a small valve amp - so it all depends on what you need from it.

Wait a minute...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Wait a minute...

** Hybrid amp... but the valves are responsible for the clipping.

I tried the HT-1 today, and ordered mine (they sell before they even get them in stock XD).

I find it loud enough for home use, but there's no way you'd disturb neighbours with that thing.

Tone wise, the ISF takes it from nice bright tones to mid-rich British tones.
It has gain and crunch on tap for Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Guns and Roses, Metallica, Alterbridge like sounds. Obviously not much of the kick you get with the big stacks, but the tones I got out of it felt right for the riff. Ohh, and tool's Aenima sounds pretty nice through it.
It is on the vintage side of things though, and an external eq will really open up more tonal possibilities. I was planning to get one anyway.
However, a high gain monster it ain't (although it had more than I was expecting), but I haven't seen anything with more gain at this wattage. Don't expect massive modern metal sounds.

The speaker's its weak link... It will buzz when you crank it on full gain. Nowhere near as bad as some small amps I've played, and won't be as much of an issue as I cut some of the low bass though.
If you can, using an external cab is probably ideal.

In terms of which one to get... depends if you need those features like the foot-switch, extra output option and the effects loop. Personally I didn't bother with the reverb, it's an ordinary digital one not anything fancy.

However, the HT-1 is AU$250 vs AU $600 for the HT5... Not sure what the prices are on your end but it still is a significant difference. I found the HT-1 to be a steal, but the HT-5 was getting a bit more serious
If you play metal I would rather have a higher watt amp than a cranked little one.

Metal tone comes from pre amp distortion, not power amp distortion.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Wait a minute...

Is it a hybrid amp? This makes a lot more sense as to why it's gainer than a lot of other amps in its wattage category...
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Is it a hybrid amp? This makes a lot more sense as to why it's gainer than a lot of other amps in its wattage category...

Yes its a hybrid in a way it uses both SS and Tube components in both the preamp and power amp. It still sounds really good tho for what it is. And for its price its definitely worth it.
i have the ht-1r head and blackstar 4x08 cab, and its plenty loud and tonefull!!!!!

and it looks cool!!!! lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Gear:-
Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony 2011
Blackstar Ht-1r Head and 408 Blackstar Cab

Practicing:-
Trot Stetinas Lead guitar Vol 1 (2nd solo)
Trot Stetinas Rhythm guitar Vol 1 (4th Rhythm)

Plays:-
Anything from Slash to Killswitch Engage!!!

Last edited by Danslash at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Danslash
i have the ht-1r head and blackstar 4x08 cab, and its plenty loud and tonefull!!!!!

and it looks cool!!!! lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That is a freakin tiny cabinet! Can't believe 4 speakers fit in there. What kind of speakers do they use?
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
That is a freakin tiny cabinet! Can't believe 4 speakers fit in there. What kind of speakers do they use?

It's a 4x8 speaker if I'm not mistaken
Quote by TheBlackening91
Generally I play metal, my band plays thrash metal but that's about it (nothing too extreme).
I'm 'learning' guitar properly too, so I want a somewhat large range of tones.
As far as I'm concerned though the Blackstar seems to be the only viable option for a low watt tube amp that has some decent gain.

The HT5 is pretty loud for such a small amp. It is pretty high gain but not full on metal. You can push it with a tubescreamer or whatever though and it grinds.
Yeah, the 4x8 cab uses some sort of custom speaker... but you can use any 8 ohm cab with it. I want to try it with an Orange PPC412. XD
Quote by Danslash
i have the ht-1r head and blackstar 4x8 cab, and its plenty loud and tonefull!!!!! and it looks cool!!!! lol

I realize this thread is 9 months old (just found it) but I'm planning on either getting the HT-1R or HT-5R depending on the volume (affecting the power tube) for best tone vs mainly using the gain for the preamp tube to compensate for lower volume. So for those who have tried both, with a similar gain knob setting how much would the volume knob be at for comparble loudness in the home?

BTW, I really love this photo. The head and cab for the HT-1RH looks so sweet. Now I'm torn between getting the combo or head w/cab!

P.S. There seems to be a controversy if they are really all tube amps or hybrid amps. The Blackstar engineers insist the solid state circuit (op amps and diodes) of the amp are non-clipping and just used to increase gain and control audio levels before the signal path hits the tubes. Any distortion produced is tube generated only, mainly from the preamp tube.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
i couldn't care less if the blackstar engineers insist the sun orbits the earth, it doesn't mean it's true. we all saw the reverse-engineered diode clipping circuit in the feedback loop around one of the op-amps in the signal path.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

The HT-5 has a tubescreamer like diode clipper in the feedback loop of a op-amp, so by appearances the Blackstar engineers are not being truthful. But I never put a scope on the circuit to verify that.

IMO... buying small amps for hearing the tubes being driven is a waste of money unless you know for a fact that the sound it makes is exactly what you want. You can just get pedals that sound like what you want and attach them to any amp of any watts that you like.

If you ever do get the chance to crank your small amp, it is going to be totally lacking in balls (bass response). Yes it will be loud but it won't have enough power to deliver a balanced low freq response. IMO the HT-5 is nothing more than a Valve Jr with a distortion and eq pedal in front.

Also remember that the power tubes are not even real power tubes. They are just preamp tubes used as a power tube.
yeah... to be fair there's no guarantee it is clipping- i've seen other circuits with what looked like clippers to the uneducated (i.e. my) eye but they weren't doing clipping.

that being said, the BS reply did say some other things that were iffy too (pregain and BS like that).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
i couldn't care less if the blackstar engineers insist the sun orbits the earth, it doesn't mean it's true. we all saw the reverse-engineered diode clipping circuit in the feedback loop around one of the op-amps in the signal path.

This is one of the statements that released on other forum posts from coorespondence with Blackstar on the question of hybrid vs tube clipping:

"The HT-5 preamplifier is based on the HT-Dual pedal. As is the case in the HT-Dual, we use solid-state circuits to provide "pre-gain" before the ECC83 valve. The diodes are part of this "pre-gain circuit" and are used to limit the signal level being driven into the valve and hence maintain the correct operating conditions for the valve in this application. Most importantly, the valve is the last amplification (and clipping) device in the signal chain and the overall gain structure is designed such that the compression and harmonics you hear are generated solely from the valve itself."

Have you seen the insides of Marshall tube amps like the YJM100 and AFD100? Plenty of solid state circuitry doesn't mean solid state clipping.

Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
For the owners of Blackstar HT1 and HT5 or those who can try them both out in a store (none of my local music equipment stores have them in stock) I'd still like to know the comparison of the gain and volume knob setting affecting the preamp and power tube saturation between the 1 watt and 5 watt versions (on both channels) to get similar loudness for practical home use. For example if the gain is half and volume is half on the 1 watt, what would yield similar loudness on the 5 watt amp with gain being the same?
Quote by Yngwie#1
(a) This is one of the statements that released on other forum posts from coorespondence with Blackstar on the question of hybrid vs tube clipping:

(b) Have you seen the insides of Marshall tube amps like the YJM100 and AFD100? Plenty of solid state circuitry doesn't mean solid state clipping.

(a) yeah i've seen that, and it doesn't make sense. what is "pre-gain"? Far as i'm aware, it's not a recognised proper electronic term. It also looked darn like a diode-based clipping circuit to me, not like what BS said (but admittedly I'm no expert).

(b) yeah i'm well aware of that, but that's not really what we're talking about here, either. we're talking about solid state amplification or clipping in the signal path, not random SS stuff elsewhere for switching, fx loop buffering or something like that.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

no the blackstar ht1 and 5 have op-amps directly in the signal path -> first stage is an op-amp

when you plug a pedal in and boost the signal, first thing that gets distorted is an op-amp.

there are also clipping diodes elsewhere.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Quote by Yngwie#1
For example if the gain is half and volume is half on the 1 watt, what would yield similar loudness on the 5 watt amp with gain being the same?

The HT-1’s controls have a very different response curve; gain and volume on both channels remain fairly low until the gain knob gets to around 2 o’clock. At around 2 o’clock there is a sudden jump in gain, and on the OD the gain ramps up very dramatically from here. The HT-5 is much more even and the volume on the OD channel ramps up a lot sooner.
That statement from Blackstar is tragic.

"The important thing is that we gave you all of the crappy input sensitivity of a SS amp but with all of the inefficiency of a tube output section. If we say 'limiting' instead of 'clipping' maybe you'll believe us when we say the diodes are only to gently massage the signal into the right form despite no other tube amp ever needing this kind of treatment. But they're totally not clipping. They're limiting. By clipping."

Clipping diodes at the front so the tube acts exactly the same no matter what the input signal, then a SS phase inverter so there's no dynamic range going into the tube power section. They're neutering the tube signal at every turn - they don't ever allow the tubes to actually interact or do any of the interesting things that they're supposed to. There have been some perfectly good hybrid and diode-clipped tube amp designs, but this doesn't seem like one of them.
Just get something along the lines of a Vypyr 30. Lower wattage doesn't equal better, and neither-

Oh wait, this thread is 2 years old. Nevermind.
+1 min and colin
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

everythought of grabbing a used peavey vypyr tube 60 and some headphones are quiet time?
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Peavey Vypyr 112 (WGS Veteran 30)
Boss SD1
Zoom G1on

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B