You can only play in a school band so long before you crave actual music, and I guess Scott Pilgrim vs. The World made me want to turn Bass into a hobby.

So where should I start? Every local teacher says to start with Green Day, but... well, they aren't the best exactly. I'm not much for theory or terms, so don't throw too many words I don't know at me.

Thanks.
Try learning songs you like, like I started off with The Beatles (Paul's a great bassist)
Green Day is actually a good place to start learning any instrument. Very straightforward. Work from the ground up. If you like a piece of music learn it. No matter how simple. Enjoy.
Quote by Bobfred75
Try learning songs you like, like I started off with The Beatles (Paul's a great bassist)

Paul McCartney is the man!

Who are some of your favorites bands, TS? That is usually a good place to start
Quote by ZakAtak757
Every local teacher says to start with Green Day, but... well, they aren't the best exactly.

Exactly. I started playing bass and guitar with their songs, even though their music isn't really my favorite. You get the basics down really fast though because that's all they do.

Quote by Sleeping_Sun
Who are some of your favorites bands, TS?

I don't know what a TS is, but I imagine this is directed at me. :p

I don't love bands, or albums, I just love songs. My taste is pretty varied so here are a few favorites: Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones), Run to the Hills (Iron Maiden), Invaders Must Die (Prodigy), Slow Ride (Foghat) and various nerdy soundtracks.
Quote by ZakAtak757
I don't know what a TS is, but I imagine this is directed at me. :p

I don't love bands, or albums, I just love songs. My taste is pretty varied so here are a few favorites: Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones), Run to the Hills (Iron Maiden), Invaders Must Die (Prodigy), Slow Ride (Foghat) and various nerdy soundtracks.

TS means Threadstarter

You've been playing bass in your school band, right? "Gimme Shelter" seems easy enough to play, especially if you have been playing in your school band.
check out the songs you need to learn thread for ideas.

heres my list of awesome begginer basslines
7 nation army -white stripes
feel good inc-gorillaz
money-pink floyd
anything ever done by nirvana
longview -greenday (even if greenday isn't your thing, that baseline is awesome)
no sir away a papaya war is on
The Perdestrian is right.

Go here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1099195

Also, listen to Coheed and Cambria. Mic Todd is a fantastic bassist with a real understanding of groove, which can take a while to 'learn' how to express.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Welcome to the forum.

This website has a huge resource of tabs so look for your favourite songs and start learning them. If you need further help with any song then feel free to ask on this forum. We've all been where you are and we all know what it's like to struggle with songs. We're all here to help.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Motown.

If i had any wish, when it comes to bass, it would be that i could have been hip to Jamerson from the get-go.

Groove > Technique

I think tabs are a double edged sword... they show you WHAT to play, but not HOW to play it. Learn some rythm, learn your scales... get a drum machine or a metronome.

Also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
You know those songs you like? Play those. You've probably listened to them enough to figure them out note by note.
Quote by Din of Win

I think tabs are a double edged sword... they show you WHAT to play, but not HOW to play it. Learn some rythm, learn your scales... get a drum machine or a metronome.

that is one of the main reasons i liked tabs when i first started learning it's a great way of being able to learn to hear and feel the rhythm of a bass line.

i totally agree with the metronome, that is definitely one of the best purchases i ever made

and btw, bootsy is brilliant ^^
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Kinda late, but I started with rise against. I learned no theory for about three years, just looked at tabs. But not very difficult tabs. Things like senses fail's rum is for drinking, not for burning; I learned alot if senses fail actually.... Pretty simple stuff.... But yeah, rise against and senses fail are pretty simple, yet passionate music ( at least old rise against and senses fail.)
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Din of Win
Motown.

If i had any wish, when it comes to bass, it would be that i could have been hip to Jamerson from the get-go.

Groove > Technique

Technique is a part of groove. You can't groove if you don't have good technique, rhythm, spacing, ect...

The metranome idea was a damn good one. But throwing Jamerson at him may be a little to extreme. I love James as much as anyone, but if all the teachers are suggesting easy Green Day songs. Playing songs by one of the most infulential and talented musicians of the last century may be a little extreme
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.