I have had multiple amp forums on here and i have decided i want to buy an ADA MP-1 Preamp. I play mostly 80s music and feel it is best for the tone i am wanting. But i know knothing about preamps. Are they like pedals or heads or neither? How easy are they to operate? and How would i connect it all up?
Thanks...
Preamps are basically half of an amp head; the other half being the power amp. Ease of operation depends on the preamp it's self. Some are easier than others to set up and use.

Typically one is pared with a poweramp like the Carvin TS100 or the Mesa 2/90 or what have you to to power a cab. Esentially: guitar -> preamp -> power amp -> cab. You can also throw effects in there if you wish.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
A preamp is the section of the amp in which almost all of the tone shaping and pre-gain (distortion) comes from. They don't contain a power amp, which is the section that gives you the volume and power to drive a cab.

You can connect a preamp to a separate power amp, or you can run them into the FX Loop Return of another amp, which will bypass that amps preamp so you are only using the power amp.
Define what you mean by simple. If you're talking about a 2 stage Fender AB763, then ya, it's pretty simple. But if you want something like 3 channels with foot switchable bright switches, gain boosts, seperate EQs, MIDI, etc., it's gonna be something way over the head of 99% of people.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If you're not building/working on it, you don't really have to worry. Just be aware that full featured preamps are sometimes costly to repair. The MP-1 is fairly complex so I assume repairs would be a bitch but the build quality is also great so you shouldn't have to worry about it. As far as hooking it up to a power amp and cab, it's simple. An extra cable to hook the pre out to the power in is the only difference from a normal head.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
If you're not building/working on it, you don't really have to worry. Just be aware that full featured preamps are sometimes costly to repair. The MP-1 is fairly complex so I assume repairs would be a bitch but the build quality is also great so you shouldn't have to worry about it. As far as hooking it up to a power amp and cab, it's simple. An extra cable to hook the pre out to the power in is the only difference from a normal head.

okay, thanks.