Hi guys,

As the title says I am looking for someone to recommend an amp for me. I need a new one as I've been playing on a really old crappy one that I found in my basement.

Anyway I know it's probably better to go to a store and try them out but the problem is I don't know what's a good deal or what I'm really looking at.

I'll likely be hooking it up to a speaker box with 2 700 watt 10" speakers not sure on the voltage, with 2 10" subwoofers not sure on voltage or wattage on them. I'm playing a gibson epiphone special edition guitar, not sure if I can be more specific than that as it's not really mine.

Looking to spend about $400 though if necessary I could spend a bit more. I'm not worried much about effects, just looking for something that I can play through that will sound decent loud enough to hear with drums for jamming. Some of the bands that I like playing songs by include early thrice stuff, anti flag, rise against, nirvana, so I'd want the distortion to sound good, but I also want to be able to play some ska though that's not nearly as important since guitar is barely noticable most the time in ska anyway.

If there's any more info that could help let me know, and I thank you all for any help you can give me.
check out some spots on craigslist if you're looking into that price range, as used stuff will most likely be your best bet.

Someone just recommended me a Peavey 6505 1x12 Combo that i've been looking into. Might be worth a look, though its a little higher than ur price range (goes for 600 new).

Hope that helps!
used Peavey Classic 30 would probably suite you well

give your closest major city and maybe I can find you something

otherwise - maybe a Jet City.

also - I would not count on those 'speaker boxes' being right for guitar based on what you told us....could be wrong.
Maybe the two channel Jet City combo?

...they are making that a combo, right?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
In all honesty - since you're very new to guitar playing (or so it seems) you might want to get a small, entry level modeling amp combo at this point. 30w or so is more than enough to practice with, and new shouldn't be more than $200 whatever brand/model you go with. You may be sick of it in a year or two - but it's a safe bet to help you understand the sounds that can come out of different amps/effects.
First off thanks for the responses I really appreciate it.

I wouldn't say I'm new to playing, I just haven't put any effort into upgrading any gear, just playing on my brother's old stuff. I've been playing for about 2 years but never really worried about it sounding better, but with summer coming up I'll have more time to practice.

I'll try looking into some of those tomorrow when I have more time. Out of curiosity, why isn't it a good idea to connect it to a speaker box? I'm not doubting you just wondering the reasoning.

Also is it a good idea to get one used when I don't know enough about them to tell if there's anything wrong with it?

Honestly I'm wondering if the one I'm playing on now just needs something replaced or something because it sounds good at low levels but as you turn it up it sounds alot worse, and there's virtually no scope for distortion, it's either on all the way or it sounds terrible. It's a peavy rage 158 btw.

Any more suggestions are always welcome, and thanks again
A modeling amp like the Peavey Vypyr is a good idea. It will be better than the Rage. If you amp sounds worse as you turn it up - that is a bad sign. Should be the other way around. Hell I played the Vypyr 15 again the other day and was shocked at how good it sounds and it is only $99. With a budget of $400 you are real close to the Vypyr 60 which has a power tube section. You can gig with it and it covers just about every genre.

If you are new to amps I can understand being reluctant to buying a used one. You'll learn more about them as you move forward in life. I just think you can get a lot more for your money going the used route. With your budget there are not a ton of new amps to look but the Vypyrs, Jet City, Bugera V22, Vox Night Train or VT40, Egnater Tweaker, Blackheart, Blackstar, etc are all good amps.

I would need to know more about your 'speaker box' to determine if it would work but generally speaking (generally) electric guitar sounds best through an electric guitar speaker cabinet that has 12" speakers. 10" and 15" speakers are more for bass amps. Plus a 700 watt cab just does not make sense for what you are doing. You need a cab in the 30-50-100-150w range. Get the exact info including Watts and Ohms and we might know more. Those are the only two things really outside of speaker diameter that you need to worry about.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
A modeling amp like the Peavey Vypyr is a good idea. It will be better than the Rage. If you amp sounds worse as you turn it up - that is a bad sign. Should be the other way around. Hell I played the Vypyr 15 again the other day and was shocked at how good it sounds and it is only $99. With a budget of $400 you are real close to the Vypyr 60 which has a power tube section. You can gig with it and it covers just about every genre.

If you are new to amps I can understand being reluctant to buying a used one. You'll learn more about them as you move forward in life. I just think you can get a lot more for your money going the used route. With your budget there are not a ton of new amps to look but the Vypyrs, Jet City, Bugera V22, Vox Night Train or VT40, Egnater Tweaker, Blackheart, Blackstar, etc are all good amps.

I would need to know more about your 'speaker box' to determine if it would work but generally speaking (generally) electric guitar sounds best through an electric guitar speaker cabinet that has 12" speakers. 10" and 15" speakers are more for bass amps. Plus a 700 watt cab just does not make sense for what you are doing. You need a cab in the 30-50-100-150w range. Get the exact info including Watts and Ohms and we might know more. Those are the only two things really outside of speaker diameter that you need to worry about.

This post is highly refined, text-based win. Great post 311.

TS, I'd recommend the vypyr aswell. It does have tones for the price.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Agreed, great post, and I thank you for taking the time to help me.

I'm not worried about hooking up the speaker box, I just assumed it would be better than the speakers that come in the amp since I won't be buying a really expensive one, but if it would be worse, then by all means I just won't use it. I'm really just using the speaker box as the speakers in my room for listening to music, so it's no big deal not to use it.

From what you say about the vpyr it sounds really good I'll definitely look into that. I think for this one since it's not that much money anyway, I'd rather just get it new and in the future when I learn more about amps I can get the next one used. Any ideas on the best place to get it new? I'm assuming someplace online would be better than something like gutiar center but maybe not with all their coupons.

Really thanks alot man I'd be lost without you.
Incidentally, what is the best way to learn more about amps? I keep hearing phrases like power tube and preamp or modeling amp but I dont' really know what they mean lol.
I'd go to GC so you can play the different Vypyrs as well as some other amps inside and outside your budget.

If you end up not liking it or something goes wrong it will be easier to return. My suggestion is to go as early in the day as possible and ask to take some amps into the loud room. I also suggest you look up the Vypyr user manual on-line so you can get a feel about how to operate it. Some people get frustrated because they don't know how to turn effects on and off and such. Learn as much as you can about it before you buy. True with any amp really.

There are a few stickies that will help with your last question. Start there and I'm working on a 'Catch All' Blog that has some info and links and such if you want to take it further.

Good luck,
Ok so I was looking into this because guitar center has a coupon this weekend for 100 off purchases of 500, and i searched peavey vypyr in the store search and I'm a little confused.

For reference, here is a link :
http://www.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear.gc?internal=1&src=peavey+vypyr&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

I'm not understanding why the peavey 100W 2x12 is 399.99, and the 60W 1x12 is 449.99. Wouldnt the bigger one be more?
^ hey

That is because the Vypyr 60 (and 120) have a power tube section and are considered hybrids. The Vypyr 15, 30, 75, and 100 are strictly solid state. The tube versions by the way sound a lot better to me. More organic and harmonic.

Coincidently-

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429787

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ hey

That is because the Vypyr 60 (and 120) have a power tube section and are considered hybrids. The Vypyr 15, 30, 75, and 100 are strictly solid state. The tube versions by the way sound a lot better to me. More organic and harmonic.

Coincidently-

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429787

lol I guess you were serious about recommending it, nice.

So I'm strongly thinking about getting one, I just have a few more questions if you wouldn't mind

First off, the coupon expires today and I can't get to a guitar center before it closes, and $100 off is pretty much 20% and I don't really want to miss an opportunity. Do you think it's a bad idea to buy it online without trying it since guitar center has it's 30 day return policy if you aren't satisfied?

Also, I don't know how aquainted you are with guitar centers or this particular coupon(i got it by email), but I don't know if it has to be one purchase or you can add up. So my question is, since the 60 is 449.99 and the 120 is 649.99, how much of a difference in quality is it? Am I better off spending another $50 on stuff I could use but don't necessarily need and paying 400, or going ahead and spending 550 on the bigger one? I'm ok with spending it if it's worth it, but like I said, I don't know too much about this :/
well - i would first double check with guitar center on how their coupon works. I find a lot their offers are very limiting and somewhat misleading. I'm guessing that $100 coupon is for one single item of $500 or more but I could be wrong.

the 120 would be a bit overkill imo. you won't need the extra 60 watts nor the extra speaker. it will just be a bigger heavier version of the Vypyr 60. Now a Vypyr 120 head and a seperate cab is another story altogether. That I would consider - but I already have a cab.

long story short is that it depends on how they treat that coupon, otherwise, I would feel comfortable buying one on-line knowing you can return it if you don't like it.
Ok well I tried it online adding the 60 and 3 random cables just to get it over 500 and the coupon appears to work.

I'm actually going to try to get to guitar center today before 6 and hopefully I'll be able to try it first. I'm getting kind of excited lol might actually have a new amp today. One last question, does guitar center allow you to bring your guitar in to try the amp or would I have to use on of the ones there?
I would recommend taking your own guitar. It is the best way to try out amps. GC has no problem with it. I do it all the time.

I would also recommend reading the vypyr owners manual online at peavey.com. It will make your vypyr test run more enjoyable if you know how to turn things on and off. Ask one of the amp guys if they wouldn't mind setting one up in the loud room for you and showing you how to work it. Although it is a Sunday so it will probably packed.

Good luck,
So I got there in time, but they didn't have it in stock so I had them order it, and got a foot pedal with it to make up the difference. since they didn't have it I tried the 30 w one, which I don't know how comparable it is, but I did like, so hopefully this one's twice as good lol.

Thank you so much for all your help, I couldn't have done it without you.
You're welcome.

If you liked the 30 then you'll like the 60. I played the 15 recently and was really surprised at how good it sounded. The Sampera pedal will come in handy. I don't have that. So if you look at strictly the amp that is like $100 off that amp so $350? That is a good deal for what you get. They do have a hint of 'fakeness' sometimes with some of the setting but unless you are recording an album with one - I wouldn't let it bother you.

Have Fun!