Lately, I've been playing an Epiphone Viola bass through a 500 watt GK combo amp. I'm looking for a new bass under $800. Something light weight but with a nice clear tone. I mostly play with my fingers, I pluck, but on rare occasions I pick, so I'd like something with a non-pointy pickup, I tend to have that problem with Jazz basses. Any help is thanked. I live in Orange County and do have the ability to try out new basses, I'm just looking for recommendations.
Beyond moving up the original Hofner version of your bass, I'm not sure what recommend. Sounds like a semi-hollow will suit, but beyond that, Reggae isn't really my area of expertise...

I've found most 'modern' basses to be fairly versatile, ie Spector, Schecter, Ibanez etc.

I have a Spector Euro 5, and I can get pretty much whatever i want out of it.

Also, my STACK, with a 4x10 and a 1x15 is 500 watts; that is one BIGASS combo. Nice one.
I'm not sure what you mean by a pointy pickup. Are you referring to the edge on the Jazz single coils? Jazzes and Precisions seem to be the most common basses in the Reggae bands I've seen. As for pros, I know that Aston Barrett plays a Jazz:

I've played a Schecter Diamond P-4 a few times over the last couple of months and if I didn't already own a Fender American Deluxe Precision, I'd buy one:

(Invalid img)

It's a lot of bass for about $500.00.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I don't know if it's just the MiM Jazz, but the single coils have very pointy sides and my thumb starts to hurt when I play..
But Aston rests on the neck...Hmm...Might have to try that.
Quote by Chimpout

you must be new here.

OT: I've always liked an Ibanez SR, neck humbucker and flats for a reggae sound.

Or a P bass.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I don't play reggae, but I always play anchoring on the neck, gives me a beefier tone from the get-go so I can leave the tone knob a bit brighter. also consider buying a thumbrest ($1.99 black plastic) and put it where you like to play most.

As for basses, Aston used a Hofner originally I do believe. If I were you, I'd consider anything fender, Mustangs might be an option, or the squier P bass, that has the huge mudbucker riding the neck, install a darkstar and flats and you'd be golden.
Im feeling a Peavey t-40 for this. Or a good p-bass.

Strung with flats and a mute.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Flats or Nylons are a big pluss... a good amp... a REALLY decent cab... bass choice itself comes in somewhere after those points...

I'm not much of a reggae fan... but i like dub... i've used my ATK. Most active basses should be real nice... just bump the lows.

I've always wondered how something with a big-old humbucker up at the neck would sound. A Squier VM Telecaster Bass or an Epi EB-0 or EB-3.... a T-40 would be nice too... i never did play mine with dub stuff before i sold it...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Flats or Nylons are a big pluss... a good amp... a REALLY decent cab... bass choice itself comes in somewhere after those points...

I'm not much of a reggae fan... but i like dub... i've used my ATK. Most active basses should be real nice... just bump the lows.

I've always wondered how something with a big-old humbucker up at the neck would sound. A Squier VM Telecaster Bass or an Epi EB-0 or EB-3.... a T-40 would be nice too... i never did play mine with dub stuff before i sold it...

I have actually been looking at an Epi EB-3. I always play with Rotosound Flat Jazz strings, and I always get a great tone out of my amp. I'm really just looking for something for comfortable and reliable.
As others have suggested, either a jazz or a P bass, maybe check out the Peavey T-40.

anchor your hand at the neck and let the tunes fly.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
FatalGear41- Good call it doesnt get much more Reggae than "The Family Man".

OP, everyone else has made some great suggestions.

Speaking from my own personal experiance. I play alot of motown and reggae. I use a Fender P/J Special with RotoSound 77' Flats on it and I love the tone for both.

I has that nice thump you would expect from a P. And when you combine the P bass with with the flats it's supper mellow and warm. A MIM P/J Special only runs $700 new. Which leaves you $100 to swap out the pups, and or get some strings if you like.

IMO it's one of the better deals and definitely one of the most versitle bass's in that price range. At the very least it's something diffrent to check out
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
FatalGear41- Good call it doesnt get much more Reggae than "The Family Man".

OP, everyone else has made some great suggestions.

Speaking from my own personal experiance. I play alot of motown and reggae. I use a Fender P/J Special with RotoSound 77' Flats on it and I love the tone for both.

I has that nice thump you would expect from a P. And when you combine the P bass with with the flats it's supper mellow and warm. A MIM P/J Special only runs $700 new. Which leaves you $100 to swap out the pups, and or get some strings if you like.

IMO it's one of the better deals and definitely one of the most versitle bass's in that price range. At the very least it's something diffrent to check out

Best suggestion yet.
I'm looking at Yamaha Billy Sheehan. Do you think that'd work?
Last edited by JahRiddim at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by JahRiddim
Best suggestion yet.
I'm looking at Yamaha Billy Sheehan. Do you think that'd work?

YES!

I can't think of too many other basses that'd be perfect for dub-raegge as the Billy Sheehan model. Humbucker at the neck with a P in the sweet-spot.... awesome!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."