Okay, so I was practicing yesterday for about 3 hours, just a chromatic exercise to build my speed. So it worked. Today I was able to play it faster then I could ever before (Cleanly as well)

But today, I was practicing the same exercise again, and I noticed I wasn't able to do it anymore.
It isn't as clean as it was before. I kept playing the same thing over and over... but I started getting bad at it. So.. Is this normal? Did I goof?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Give yourself a break from it. Your mind has probably just stopped thinking about what its doing, so you can either lock it in better by playing it slower or take a break from it for a few days and you will think about it more the next time. This happens to me all the time with skateboarding.

you lose that high that you had the other day, happens to all of us. expect what you had the day before to be rolled back 10 bpm, though your new max for the new day is usually 1-2 bpm higher.
Okay I thought that's what it might be.. I just kept on playing the same thing over and over.. I should be better tomorrow. Thanks!
And no I don't play with a metronome. I just tap my leg, and then follow it.
Quote by TheChosen1One
you lose that high that you had the other day, happens to all of us. expect what you had the day before to be rolled back 10 bpm, though your new max for the new day is usually 1-2 bpm higher.

Though that high I had, was today. I just kept on practicing and I lost it.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
Okay I thought that's what it might be.. I just kept on playing the same thing over and over.. I should be better tomorrow. Thanks!
And no I don't play with a metronome. I just tap my leg, and then follow it.

Though that high I had, was today. I just kept on practicing and I lost it.

are you pressing too hard? if the fingers fatigue, any flaws in your technique will crop up and slow you down

ive also had that too where i can do something, i take a break and when i come back i can't quite do it at that speed. usually it takes about a week to solidify the speed. timeframe sucks i know, but in 7 days you'll be faster than ever

i found my speed to go faster when i practiced various scales like aeolian/ionian/phrygian...etc, i fo und that it was more musical and had much more application than the chromatic... unless you're going to start playing diminished stuff all the time lol
Last edited by TheChosen1One at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by TheChosen1One
are you pressing too hard? if the fingers fatigue, any flaws in your technique will crop up and slow you down

ive also had that too where i can do something, i take a break and when i come back i can't quite do it at that speed. usually it takes about a week to solidify the speed. timeframe sucks i know, but in 7 days you'll be faster than ever

i found my speed to go faster when i practiced various scales like aeolian/ionian/phrygian...etc, i fo und that it was more musical and had much more application than the chromatic... unless you're going to start playing diminished stuff all the time lol

Yeah, my fingers really hurt because I was playing along to back tracks earlier today a lot. I've been playing far more then normal, so I guess my fingers aren't used to it yet.
That's probably the problem. Thanks!
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Spending 3 hours practicing chromatics isn't going to have any appreciable effect on your ability. All that happened is you were well-warmed up.

Chromatics aren't magic, you don't get any more benefit from them that you'll get from practicing anything else with the same level of dilligence and concentration. Certainly spending 3 hours on them is a waste of your time - you'll be far better off playing exercises that are more musical in nature, stuff that translates to actually playing the guitar. How you practice is ultimately what makes you improve, not what you practice. Don't do exercises for the sake of it though, there's no point worrying too much about how fast you can play them and certainly don't start chasing the metronome with them - you don't practice to get better at practising. Nobody cares how fast you can play exercises and neither should you, what you should worry about is whether or not your practice is making you a better player.

Regardless, 3 hours practicing for one day will not cause any noticeable improvement in your overall ability - however spending 3 hours practicing for a couple of months will.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Spending 3 hours practicing chromatics isn't going to have any appreciable effect on your ability. All that happened is you were well-warmed up.

Chromatics aren't magic, you don't get any more benefit from them that you'll get from practicing anything else with the same level of dilligence and concentration. Certainly spending 3 hours on them is a waste of your time - you'll be far better off playing exercises that are more musical in nature, stuff that translates to actually playing the guitar. How you practice is ultimately what makes you improve, not what you practice. Don't do exercises for the sake of it though, there's no point worrying too much about how fast you can play them and certainly don't start chasing the metronome with them - you don't practice to get better at practising. Nobody cares how fast you can play exercises and neither should you, what you should worry about is whether or not your practice is making you a better player.

Regardless, 3 hours practicing for one day will not cause any noticeable improvement in your overall ability - however spending 3 hours practicing for a couple of months will.

Thanks for the advice, but when I went to playing the exercise, I could it faster then ever before, without warming up at all. I would consider myself fast at developing.
I've searched for exercises that improve speed but I haven't really come across any.
I want to improve my speed and accuracy cause that's what I need to improve most on.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Again. it's not what you practice that makes you more accurate, it's how you practice
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, how would I become more accurate? I just want to be able to play quickly and accurately. I know shredding isn't amazing and speed =/= amazing skill, but I just want to be able to do it. I think of it as fun.

So basically I'm looking for something that will help me, and eventually help me shred...

wat do?
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
I do notice when I warm up properly I play much much better. You could have just warmed up better
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
not to beat the proverbial horse...but I would seriously recommend metronome + tapping, I find most of the time if you are thinking about what you are playing then you aren't going to be totally thinking about the time. I played for almost 2 solid without a metronome and I can admit I was fooling myself and would have definitely progressed much faster with one.

Its also somewhat harder to measure progression based on the fact that you think you are tapping faster now that you used to
I've experienced this phenomenon as well.

It comes down to the 3 hours. That could be a lot of practice for one exercise if you were doing it non-stop. Depending on your guitar setup as well, you could have really worn our your fingers without realizing it. When that happens, things feel a bit tighter and you'll notice you can't control the fingers as much.

This is why I try to spread out my practice over many small sessions instead of sitting down for 3 hours straight. I can't speak for anyone else. But my results after doing this were simply astounding.
Quote by openedmind
not to beat the proverbial horse...but I would seriously recommend metronome + tapping, I find most of the time if you are thinking about what you are playing then you aren't going to be totally thinking about the time. I played for almost 2 solid without a metronome and I can admit I was fooling myself and would have definitely progressed much faster with one.

Its also somewhat harder to measure progression based on the fact that you think you are tapping faster now that you used to

I didn't say anything about tapping?

Quote by no bs johnny
I've experienced this phenomenon as well.

It comes down to the 3 hours. That could be a lot of practice for one exercise if you were doing it non-stop. Depending on your guitar setup as well, you could have really worn our your fingers without realizing it. When that happens, things feel a bit tighter and you'll notice you can't control the fingers as much.

This is why I try to spread out my practice over many small sessions instead of sitting down for 3 hours straight. I can't speak for anyone else. But my results after doing this were simply astounding.

Yeah it was pretty much non-stop.

I guess I'll try and vary my exercises, and have smaller sessions. Thanks!
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
I find the longer i have known something the better I can play it with speed I could learn a song tonight and execute it horribly but learn it, come back refreshed and ready to play the next day and I do it so much easier and with the quickness. My speed dips up and down and I have problems with consistence cuz I play sooooo much I just get tired hahaha
Knockoff Fender
83' Peavey Milestone << Favorite
Line 6 Spider IV
You want speed? I'll tell you how I got speed

1) Don't exclusively chase it, but make it a goal
2) Practice it at the highest speed which you can do it perfectly with very little pressure and pretty much zero tension anywhere (excluding insane shit like obscure bar chords)
3) Put in the time. Don't overdo it like 3 hours on one technique, do 30 minutes or so in 15-20 techniques with some fun
4) Slowly increase over time, never strain yourself
5) ALWAYS minimize movement. Its okay to be big once in a while, but you should be the laziest guitarist you can be
6) Perfect posture
: )
Quote by Cjk10000
You want speed? I'll tell you how I got speed

1) Don't exclusively chase it, but make it a goal
2) Practice it at the highest speed which you can do it perfectly with very little pressure and pretty much zero tension anywhere (excluding insane shit like obscure bar chords)
3) Put in the time. Don't overdo it like 3 hours on one technique, do 30 minutes or so in 15-20 techniques with some fun
4) Slowly increase over time, never strain yourself
5) ALWAYS minimize movement. Its okay to be big once in a while, but you should be the laziest guitarist you can be
6) Perfect posture

Okay thanks a lot!
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Swap off techniques day to day.

Don't completely forget about other techniques but keep your fingers moving differently as much as possible.
Quote by skylerjames13
Thanks for the advice, but when I went to playing the exercise, I could it faster then ever before, without warming up at all. I would consider myself fast at developing.
I've searched for exercises that improve speed but I haven't really come across any.
I want to improve my speed and accuracy cause that's what I need to improve most on.

IMO you're going in the wrong order. If you improve your accuracy your speed will naturally improve.

Check out this lesson by one of the members of this forum, I was reading it the other day and it really helps to put you in the right frame of mind to practice well.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/speed_kills.html

Hope this helps.