im using a 56 gauge for my 7th string. it feels like a noodle at times... i heard if you increase it to 60 or 70 its better. some i've heard say that at 70 it can sound a bit weird

i can play with the 56 on my current guitar but when i'm doing technical stuff that involves many notes, i find it easy for the string to become a bit noodley on me.

what are advantages/disadvantages to higher string gauge?
What tuning are you using? And what scale is the guitar?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
i was once using a 52 for my A string, and it felt at a reasonable tension at standard tuning, so i imagine, that a 56 for a B is super loose...
I run a 60 at half step on a 27" scale and it's still a bit noodlely
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
My JP7 has a .056 for the low B and it feels fine to me, its a 25.5" scale.
Some people prefer to have them pretty tight though, I like my strings to be a little on the loose side for the silly widdly solo bends

I'd try a .060, see how that goes. Once you start getting much bigger than about a .065, you might find the windings won't fit in the tuners though.
I have a 6 string. my low E is a 56. Tuned to C, its like theres nothing there finger strength requiring wise. for a B string, I wouldnt play with smaller than a 65.

if you move to a bigger string you will get a bigger ballsier sound. the only drawback to a bigger string is you get more punchy bass sound. but If you have a 7 string, you probably want punchier bass, so its not really a drawback maybe.

ninja edit: if you go too big, you may have trouble getting the string through the tuner hole.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Last edited by satanicgurrl at Apr 6, 2011,