just out of curiosity i quoted a custom shop esp ex bass with emg p and mm pups with emg bqc preamp all black neck thru alder body maple neck ebony fretboard with iron cross inlays. pretty basic stuff for $7050!!!!! now im curious why its so much
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Because custom shops and boutique builders build basses at the absolute highest level of quality. They're the absolute cream of the crop, made by the best builders/luthiers in the business.

You also pay a high premium for the options. Going custom allows you to get a bass tailor made to your specifications. Its not a bass manufactured to appeal to a mass market with a handful of stock options, its bass built to suit you.

EDIT: In short, you pay a high price so you can get exactly the bass you want, and to have it built to the highest standards with the best wood, hardware, pups, electronics, etc.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Tostitos
Because custom shops and boutique builders build basses at the absolute highest level of quality. They're the absolute cream of the crop, made by the best builders/luthiers in the business.

You also pay a high premium for the options. Going custom allows you to get a bass tailor made to your specifications. Its not a bass manufactured to appeal to a mass market with a handful of stock options, its bass built to suit you.

^this
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

hmmm..... well that does make sense, but i personally think it would be more worth the money to go the warmoth route (minus neck thru but thats no biggie) and have more options with wood and everything else. idk maybe im just crazy?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by summerson1
hmmm..... well that does make sense, but i personally think it would be more worth the money to go the warmoth route (minus neck thru but thats no biggie) and have more options with wood and everything else. idk maybe im just crazy?

Different custom shops have different levels of options. I'm sure ESP would accomodate further options if you get in contact with their CS staff.

Go onto the Warwick website and view their custom shop options list (go Custom Shop->Pricelist->Choose your country's flag). The only thing they won't do is change body shapes and custom options on artist signature basses, and they'll happily do special requests. Do I think it's worth more than the Warmoth route? Yup.
Quote by summerson1

Warmoth is good if you want custom woods and the like but don't want to spend a fortune, but you won't get the quality that comes with a boutique instrument. The amount of options depends on who you go to for a custom. There are some luthiers who will build you absolutely anything as long as you're willing to supply the necessary cash. Some boutique builders and custom shops will have some parameters (body shape and company-specific things like that), but as long as you're willing to take a bigger hit on your credit card bill you can have more design freedom.

tl;dr: If you have deep pockets, the options open up in the boutique world. Luthiers and custom shops will accommodate all kinds of crazy additions and requests if you have enough money to fork over.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^And it's that quality that makes me think it's worth every extra penny.

Agreed 100%.

Despite slow build times and the occasional slow communication, the personalized service and willingness to bend over backwards (to an extent anyway) for requests is worth the extra dough.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
well shit warwicks custom shop i would definitely fork out the cash for a stryker built just the way i like (already quoted one), but the esp just didnt seem like it would be 7 grand. 3 or 4 would be more around what i would pay for it
Quote by Bass First
I wish Peavey's custom shop was still open
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."