Hi,
So I've always considered myself a wrist picker, I don't anchor my hand etc etc, and whenever I see threads related to how to pick, people always say "pick from your wrist, not your elbow". Fair enough, as far as I'm concerned I do.

But the thing is, there's a couple of ways to move your wrist. There's either turning your wist (a little like turning a circular door knob, though not quite - if tracing the line the end of the pick makes it would have a slight curve) or moving it straight up and down (a bit more like waving at someone using only your wrist, again if tracing a lane the end of the pick makes it would make a straight line). The former to me feels more relaxed, probably because that's what I'm used to, however it does seem to have the effect of rotating your forearm. Now what I don't get is this - is that forearm twist what people tell you to avoid when they say to pick with your wrist? Or is that type of movement what they mean when they say it?
Your hand moves side to side, literally, pivoting around the wrist joint
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Hmmm, personally I pick by turning my wrist-ish...

I think..

But watching, also interested in this...
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
Quote by ROHG
Hmmm, personally I pick by turning my wrist-ish...

I think..

But watching, also interested in this...

I do this too... I have my wrist slightly turned when picking with my wrist.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
Cheers for the link, it does look like he's moving his wrist and not twisting. Also found a video of John Petrucci who seems to do the same. I think I'll give it a go for a few days and see how I get on.
So how is my picking? Posting a video that I try to show it pretty well not very good sound though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNV2WH3JTnM
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

OP: I was gonna post that vid that FP made and linked The rotation of the forearm isn't considered "using elbow to pick." Rotation is still considered wrist. You can't rotate your wrist without rotating your forearm bone.

Quote by brandon2784
So how is my picking? Posting a video that I try to show it pretty well not very good sound though.

I'm not really a fan of holding the pick between the pads of the finger like that. Feels less natural since it causes you to have to contort a bit. The pads of your thumb and index finger don't normally face each other in a relaxed position.

Also, and probably more importantly, your shoulder seems raised and tensed, unnecessarily. Your playing your guitar on your left leg, and so that should give you the freedom of dropping your shoulder for much more relaxed playing.
What works for most does not work for all. I pick with a similar style (my wrist is rotated inward somewhat such that my hand is mostly below the pick; my picking technique is more rotation/oscillation as a result) and it's far more comfortable for me than any style I've ever tried where the pick was held against the side of my index finger.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 6, 2011,
I've found this topic to always bring up some debate. Doesn't seem to be a CLEAR consensus on how picking is done. Me personally.... if it's working, I use it. If not, I change it up until it works. Currently, I use a little wrist turn and a little side to side action. Maybe it will change as I improve.
So when I got home I got straight on this and realised that I do in fact use a combination of both. I found that when sat without a guitar and try to replicate how I pick fast, I twist, however when I'm actually sat at a guitar I do generally just move my wrist at the joint with a slight twist (although my picking movement is so small that it's hard to determine), and obviously use my forearm/elbow to move between strings. Also it seems that without realising it I hold my pick the same way as Paul Gilbert does in his video. Now if only I was better...

One thing that I've noticed is that when watching videos of other people playing guitar, their wrist movements look a lot smoother than how I perceived myself, but then I caught my reflection yesterday and saw that from that perspective my picking looks the same. So that's a bonus.

Basically, while I don't like the way you're holding the pick, the main problem is that your movements are too big and your left and right hands aren't synched. Those are the two biggest problems for alternate picking, you need to sort them out.