I'm looking for a guitar as close to the sort used by Andrew Stockdale as possible in my price range of about $400 -$500 in australian dollars.

I've heard a lot of different opinions about the Epihpone Sg g-400 being badly made, and that the Vintage VS6 plays a lot better than it. But i've never played the VS6 myself. I have played the Epiphone at my friends house.

I need help deciding which is best and which has the best pickups and sound without any work done to it.
When did harry potter get a signature guitar?

Gear:

Peavey Raptor
Fender Squire Strat
Peavey Audition Trans-tube Amp
Zoom G1 Pedal
Cort M600
Quote by mr.speaker
I'm looking for a guitar as close to the sort used by Andrew Stockdale as possible in my price range of about $400 -$500 in australian dollars.

I've heard a lot of different opinions about the Epihpone Sg g-400 being badly made, and that the Vintage VS6 plays a lot better than it. But i've never played the VS6 myself. I have played the Epiphone at my friends house.

I need help deciding which is best and which has the best pickups and sound without any work done to it.

I've had 2 vintage VS6(one black one red with gold hardwear)
Both played great, nice and light, slim neck, but the pickups where sub-par IMO.
Cannot comment on the epiphone's, always stayed away from them.
any particular reason why you stayed away from the epiphones?
When did harry potter get a signature guitar?

Gear:

Peavey Raptor
Fender Squire Strat
Peavey Audition Trans-tube Amp
Zoom G1 Pedal
Cort M600
with regards to you hearing that the vintage VS6 plays better, that's subjective.

they are both on an even level in terms of quality. in the UK vintage are better value because epiphone are quite overpriced for what they are here. but i'm not sure what it's like anywhere else.

at the moment vintage have wilkinson design pickups which are a lot better quality than what epiphone uses but still not brilliant. not too sure about the hardware - i think epiphone may have the upper-hand when it comes to things like tuners, bridge etc...

the only way you can really know which is better for you is to go to a guitar shop and play some epis and some vintages.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I always thought they didn't look at nice, and I've heard far too many horror storys about epiphones.
i had an epiphone les paul le it was about 1200 aud looked nice and played well and had good sustain but after about 6 months the kneck started to bow from the humidity here.i have seen a few gibson sg faded for 600 to 800 around.
Im just commenting on epiphones quality, I personally dont like epiphone but I bought my wife a epiphone sg special 150 bucks new and I was suprised on the quality of it, even the finish was flawless.
And for an entry level beginner guitar it plays pretty good, so Id think that there higher up guitars would have similar quality and better idk.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I had an Epiphone SG G-400 for a while. I wouldn't say the quality was bad, but I didn't think it was that great either. Stock pickups were terrible (but that's to be expected). It had the faded finish, which always felt a little cheap to me.

What bothered me the most is that I never could get the action set up how I like it. It never really felt right to me. For some reason it always felt a little harder to play than my other guitars.

It was also my first SG-style guitar and I really didn't like the headstock divebomb routine. I bought a leather strap as suggested to keep it in place, but all that did was twist my t-shirt around my body as the headstock dropped to the ground. I ended up not playing it much so I got rid of it.

But to each his own. I'm sure there are a lot of G-400 owners that love theirs.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2