I'm not gonna beat around the bush, I'll go straight in for the lick.

I've recently acquired the Broomstick Bass VST, and I can't find out how to make it play individual notes on MIDI files. When I paste a MIDI file into it, it makes pre-arranged grooves based only on the pitch of the notes, it doesn't actually play the notes I tell it to. Anyone have an idea on how to to it?
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
Quote by kennykenny
Yeah. Have you?

I am not sure if you have.
There is a button labeled "Auto" and directly underneath it one labeled "Manual" in the main window.
If you select manual it will play what you desire it to. Auto will play predefined grooves in a key and tempo of your choice.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
I am not sure if you have.
There is a button labeled "Auto" and directly underneath it one labeled "Manual" in the main window.
If you select manual it will play what you desire it to. Auto will play predefined grooves in a key and tempo of your choice.

That's what I did, it still wasn't playing anything. I just discovered it only played notes which were quite high in pitch. Which is weird. Like, not even a standard E. Anyone know about this?
Quote by kennykenny
Yeah. Have you?
No? I don't use broomstick bass so why would I?..

You didn't specify that you had checked the manual at all and since you said you acquired the program it sounds that as if you either bought it off someone or pirated it which would mean you probably didn't have a manual so it was a legit question.
No need to be a smart-ass.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by TechnicolorType
No? I don't use broomstick bass so why would I?..

You didn't specify that you had checked the manual at all and since you said you acquired the program it sounds that as if you either bought it off someone or pirated it which would mean you probably didn't have a manual so it was a legit question.
No need to be a smart-ass.

youmad.jpg

Also, I wasn't being a smart-ass, I was just wondering if you'd found anything on it that I may have skipped.
Quote by kennykenny
That's what I did, it still wasn't playing anything. I just discovered it only played notes which were quite high in pitch. Which is weird. Like, not even a standard E. Anyone know about this?

I am willing to bet you have exported a bass MIDI from Guitar Pro.

If so, Guitar Pro exports them in an octave different to what a bass guitar actually plays.
You will need to select all the notes in your DAW's MIDI map (crtl + A) and decrease them a few octaves. Decrease one, play. Decrease again, play - repeat until bass is at correct pitch.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
I am willing to bet you have exported a bass MIDI from Guitar Pro.

If so, Guitar Pro exports them in an octave different to what a bass guitar actually plays.
You will need to select all the notes in your DAW's MIDI map (crtl + A) and decrease them a few octaves. Decrease one, play. Decrease again, play - repeat until bass is at correct pitch.

Ah, genius! Cheers for that!
No problem. If it still doesn't work, increase it by a few octaves. I can't remember correctly if GPro exports the bass too high or too low.
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by Solid S/hit
No problem. If it still doesn't work, increase it by a few octaves. I can't remember correctly if GPro exports the bass too high or too low.

if you make it (say 4 string bass instead of 6 string guitar) it exports it too low for most vsti programs to recognize sadly

I was gonna suggest to tab out the bass guitar like you would a guitar in GP so that way you dont run into pitch problems and adjust the pitch in your DAW with a vst or something around those lines. Its what i do, i write my base line in drop C or so
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Last edited by kcorkcar at Apr 7, 2011,