Hi ppl out there. I'm thinking of buying a new amp and (it seems for now) i ll only use its FX loop to connect my amp modeller (vox tonelab le). The point i want to ask is does it matter if it's a solid state or tube amp if i'm only going to use its fx loop. i mean does tube amp gives more vintage sound if i even use its fx loop jacks. this is a technical question and i have no idea about these kind of stuff. i hope i explained my problem well. please ask if something is still blurry. i ll reply asap. if there is no difference between solid state and tube amp. i don't want to waste more money on tube.
Quote by fendersrvvox
Hi ppl out there. I'm thinking of buying a new amp and (it seems for now) i ll only use its FX loop to connect my amp modeller (vox tonelab le). The point i want to ask is does it matter if it's a solid state or tube amp if i'm only going to use its fx loop. i mean does tube amp gives more vintage sound if i even use its fx loop jacks. this is a technical question and i have no idea about these kind of stuff. i hope i explained my problem well. please ask if something is still blurry. i ll reply asap. if there is no difference between solid state and tube amp. i don't want to waste more money on tube.

they work the same way as far as the fx loop is concerned. tubes will sound warmer and better (in most cases) than SS but i wouldn't call that vintage. if you plan on using the amp mod4ling section of your vox then it should go in front of the amp. if you just use the time based fx then it can go in the loop.
Quote by monwobobbo
they work the same way as far as the fx loop is concerned. tubes will sound warmer and better (in most cases) than SS but i wouldn't call that vintage. if you plan on using the amp mod4ling section of your vox then it should go in front of the amp. if you just use the time based fx then it can go in the loop.

no no no if you want to use the tonelabs amp models its going to sound way better using it as a preamp and plugging into the fx loop return.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by SEALSniper1152
the amplifier's tone will shine through effects, period. So get an amp that you like before using any effects, and you will be happy, and maybe not even need the effects after all.

will it still shine when connected through fx loop? as far as i know fx loop aims to by-pass amplifiers characteristics? am i wrong?
Quote by travs2448
no no no if you want to use the tonelabs amp models its going to sound way better using it as a preamp and plugging into the fx loop return.

ye, that's waht i heard and why i'm asking this question. my question was when i plug into the fx loop does it matter if its a tube or solid state amp? like using a tube amps fx loop doesn't colour your sound but helps you get a tube-ish sound after all. or makes no difference in terms of making it "tube-ish sound".
Last edited by fendersrvvox at Apr 6, 2011,
it depends on what amp really, im mean if you running it through a line 6 spider which i dont think even has an fx loop but just to make a point, its gonna sound probably like ass. and if you get a nice tube amp why would you want to run amp models through it? for more versatility? what sound are you actually going for here?
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
does it really matter which sound i'm aiming for? the point i want to reach is

"When i plug into fx loop of a tube amp, do i benefit its tubes (i mean does it give a tube amp sound) or it ignores its tube like sound and acts as a simple speaker which makes it more like a solid state amp."

think of i'm getting all drive,distortion,delay etc. from my guitar processor in this case. by the way thanks for replies ppl.
Quote by fendersrvvox
does it really matter which sound i'm aiming for? the point i want to reach is

"When i plug into fx loop of a tube amp, do i benefit its tubes (i mean does it give a tube amp sound) or it ignores its tube like sound and acts as a simple speaker which makes it more like a solid state amp."

think of i'm getting all drive,distortion,delay etc. from my guitar processor in this case. by the way thanks for replies ppl.

So you're asking us if tube amps sound like tube amps, and solid state amps sound like solid state amps? If you want to run a pedal purely as your preamp then look at a good poweramp, tube or solid state.
you're only going to benefit from its power amp tubes in the power section of the amplifier.. but my point is why would you buy a whole amplifier just to use it with a tonelab? especially if your playing clean of blues tones.
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by AxSilentxLine
So you're asking us if tube amps sound like tube amps, and solid state amps sound like solid state amps? If you want to run a pedal purely as your preamp then look at a good poweramp, tube or solid state.

yes. so you say it doesn't matter if its tube or ss in this case
when u use the fx loop on any amp it inserts the signal betwwen the preamp and power amp, it dosnt bypass any thing, some effects sound better like delays and reverbs in the fx loop. If you plug your vox in the fx lood u wont be able to use the preamp section or overdrives on your vox, because the need to be placed before the preamp.
Not particularly a good clean SS poweramp would work tube poweramps tend to be better because most professional grade ones happen to be tube but that doesn't mean there aren't any good solid state poweramps.
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by mcamp1230
it wont make a tube amp sound more vintage or modern

and i'm not aiming this actually. thanks for your reply anyways
Quote by mcamp1230
when u use the fx loop on any amp it inserts the signal betwwen the preamp and power amp, it dosnt bypass any thing, some effects sound better like delays and reverbs in the fx loop. If you plug your vox in the fx lood u wont be able to use the preamp section or overdrives on your vox, because the need to be placed before the preamp.

most probably i got your answer totally wrong because you say by plugging my vox into fx loop i wont be able to use my distortion. so what's the difference between this and connecting to a headphone? forgive me if i ask something stupid cos i have no idea about technical stuff here.
The power section of an amp is purely to amplify a signal to a useable level and output to a cabinet/speakers. There are other components involved but for the sake of keeping things simple the majority of your "sound" comes from a preamp. In this case you will want a power section that is as clean and uncoloured as possible. Your fx pedal is your preamp, and all you need is a good clean power amp, but I wouldn't recommend buying a "guitar amplifier" if this is the case as the preamp will be wasted. Look at getting a separate power amp.

Quote by mcamp1230

This isn't really true. You're thinking of when you place an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of an amp and modulation in the loop, in this case the pedal is his preamp so whether he uses distortion or not doesn't matter.
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by fendersrvvox
most probably i got your answer totally wrong because you say by plugging my vox into fx loop i wont be able to use my distortion. so what's the difference between this and connecting to a headphone? forgive me if i ask something stupid cos i have no idea about technical stuff here.

the vox dosnt have a power section, just peramp and stop box models.
But it does put out enough power to power head phones.

the reason u cant use distortions in the fx loop is they go straight into the power amp section of the amp(dosnt sound good) and it needs to go through the preamp section of the amp first.

you may be able to do the 4 cable method of hooking your vox up if it has a fx loop too, but im not real sure about how that works. that would place all effect or amp models in the correct place(before amps preamp, or in between preamp and power amp), but i dont think your vox will do that, but im not sure.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The power section of an amp is purely to amplify a signal to a useable level and output to a cabinet/speakers. There are other components involved but for the sake of keeping things simple the majority of your "sound" comes from a preamp. In this case you will want a power section that is as clean and uncoloured as possible. Your fx pedal is your preamp, and all you need is a good clean power amp, but I wouldn't recommend buying a "guitar amplifier" if this is the case as the preamp will be wasted. Look at getting a separate power amp.

All right. this was crystal clear. thanks for it. Now. If i'm going to get a power amp does it matter if it's tube or solid state. You know what i mean and i think i want a direction like "yes, a tube power amp will be better cos its tubes will effect your sound" or "no. in this case no need to buy a tube amp, Solid state will do fine in this case"
Quote by mcamp1230

the reason u cant use distortions in the fx loop is they go straight into the power amp section of the amp(dosnt sound good) and it needs to go through the preamp section of the amp first.

you may be able to do the 4 cable method of hooking your vox up if it has a fx loop too, but im not real sure about how that works. that would place all effect or amp models in the correct place(before amps preamp, or in between preamp and power amp), but i dont think your vox will do that, but im not sure.

yes my vox has a fx loop send return thing
Quote by mcamp1230

Why would it have to go to the preamp first? It will sound different in the loop yes, but it just needs tweaking. He is using his pedal as the preamp. If that was true then all standalone power amps would sound bad.

Quote by fendersrvvox
All right. this was crystal clear. thanks for it. Now. If i'm going to get a power amp does it matter if it's tube or solid state. You know what i mean and i think i want a direction like "yes, a tube power amp will be better cos its tubes will effect your sound" or "no. in this case no need to buy a tube amp, Solid state will do fine in this case"

I have explained this to you about 3 times now... please read my above posts
Quote by AxSilentxLine

This isn't really true. You're thinking of when you place an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of an amp and modulation in the loop, in this case the pedal is his preamp so whether he uses distortion or not doesn't matter.

yup, my mistake!
it would be a waste to get a good tube amp and not use half the amp.
i'm in he FX loop camp!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
All right then. thanks all ppl for replies, comments and helps. this was helpful.

have a nice day
Quote by fendersrvvox
It does matter. However there are so many variables there is no way to give you a definitive "tube will sound better" answer

My preference is to plug a multifx into the FX return of a tube amp. You could plug into a PA like some people prefer. Or you could plug into a SS amp, and it may or may not sound good. Some tube amps will sound great and others will sound like crap. It will also boil down to your ability to tweak and eq. Or maybe the amp will have some speakers that don't sound as good with your multifx.

There is no simple answer. Even if you buy the same multifx and amp as someone who has a great sound, it doesn't guarantee that it will sound good to you. Your guitar will be different and your settings will be different. Even the room and placement will be different. Getting good tone is a combination of experience and experimentation.
Last edited by fly135 at Apr 6, 2011,
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by fendersrvvox

you really aren't making it clear as to what you are trying to achieve. do you love the sound of your tonelab that much that you want to just run it thru a power amp? of course tubes will effect the sound it's just a matter of whether this is a positive or not. if you just use a tube power amp you won't get the full effect until it's driven to the point where the power tubes produce distortion. a SS won't give you a tube like sound at all. of course iif the sound of the tonelab is what you want then that would be the better option. can't say i's what i'd do but it would work.