It's quite convenient that this forum was made since I intend on learning to play soon.

Just to explain, I'm a complete and utter beginner at drumming and know nothing whatsoever about good brands, price ranges and what's considered a good drum kit. My budget is around £200 ($300) and I just need a 5-piece drum kit suitable for entry-level.

Are there any particular brands/kits you'd recommend? As I said, I'm completely new to this and have nought knowledge regarding buying my first drum kit and I don't want to make the same mistake as other instruments I've picked up by buying a poor-quality instrument and having trouble learning.

Any suggestions & guidance would be appreciated much.
The CB kits are not too bad.

Keep in mind though, unless tuned well, most of these aren't that good, much like a squier guitar
You can take a look at Westbury kits, I think they're pretty good for the price.
squire ain't that bad of guitars.

first of all, you have to know that 300$ ain't a lot of money to spend on a drum kit. so you'd be best of finding a Tama Imperialstar for that money. those are good to begin with, considering your cymbals won't be so good.

i've recently purchased a drumcraft series 4 to start to play on, in combination with sabian B8 cymbals. it's a little bit more pricy, (about 560£, but you'd like it more in the long run) another brand i would advice is Gretsch (blackhawk or catalina type)

Greets (sorry for my bad english)
Drum drum drum away!
I know that it's not a lot to spend on a drum kit, but I'm not that good at drumming and I'm only in the learning stages and I've not yet decided to pick this up as something serious, so I don't think it would be responsible if I spent a large amount of money on a drum kit if I can barely drum.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll be sure to do some research.
I've heard good things about pdp. I was recommended them when I was getting my first kit and had the same budget as you.

Never actually played them, but they're probably better than soundpercussion. My friend's brother has a SP kit and it sounds like ass.
I'd go with something like this:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/43881-stagg-5pc-full-size-acoustic-drum-set-black.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

I haven't played the kit, but in my experience Stagg are a pretty good company, really good for the price and I hear a lot of good things about Stagg cymbals even though they are cheap.

Found this on Youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URIz33H_eRo

Sounds pretty good for that price (skip to the 7:00 mark to hear how it sounds, the guy talks a lot ).
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Last edited by Skinny91 at Apr 6, 2011,
I've been checking out pdp drums, they're probably at the top of my list unless I can raise some extra cash and get a Gretsch.

I'll also look into Stagg. Although I'm somewhat sceptical about purchasing a Stagg drum kit, in my personal experience instruments by Stagg are usually unreliable and tatty, it may differ in the drum world though.
Quote by J.Simpson
I've been checking out pdp drums, they're probably at the top of my list unless I can raise some extra cash and get a Gretsch.

I'll also look into Stagg. Although I'm somewhat sceptical about purchasing a Stagg drum kit, in my personal experience instruments by Stagg are usually unreliable and tatty, it may differ in the drum world though.

Thats fair, as I said, I haven't actually played the kit, so it could be god awful.

I didn't even know they sold PDP kits for under like £400. This is the cheapest I found on a quick google search.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DW-PDP-PACIFIC--DRUM-KIT---BRILLIANT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ130496480203QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=223400090480&rvr_id=223400090480&cguid=47e6478012e0a47a43e1ee71ff1d3864

And that doesn't come with any cymbals/stand :S
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
I''ll say this:

Stagg Jia series all maple kits (Which they stopped making since changing manufacturers, and thus i'm lucky to own one) are the only thing from Stagg that I've ever liked.

Also this, since it's your first kit and i'm not sure how serious you want to get about drums. You're better off looking to buy a second hand drumkit and make due with that. Because, and I say this half jokingly and pretty seriously, you'll be lucky to get a decent new drumkit for £200.

Also, the sound of drums is mostly in the heads. A general rule of thumb for most drummers is that when you're buying a kit, either new or used, you buy a new set of heads and replace them the minute you get them. Stock heads are generally awful on drumkits so yeah. That's it really. Try fishing through classified ad sites like gumtree or look on ebay, you're always bound to find a good deal.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I would do, but second hand is not an alternative at the moment since I'm living in Cyprus, you can't really find many instruments out here at good rates. Most people who sell used are unwilling to ship over here, so I'm most likely going to have to order off of a UK site that does shipping.

I've been searching and sadly nothing spectacular has popped up. If I can't get a decent drum kit within my price range, I might just wait until I return to the UK in September, raise a bit more money and go used.
I would probably say :
Wait a bit and buy used...
You'll be able to get a better quality kit with cymbals... For a decent price.
Try going for a Gretsch or a Mapex set, having a budget of 400-500 bucks will get you started off pretty well. Now for the cymbals, try to not go to high on the budget with them I have a Gretsch set of my own and I still love it till this day (and of course my Pearl kicks)