van halen. First album sound.

80s rock, judice priest and eddy money, bad company

May be a little bush,

with the distortion up very low may be a wind crys mary?

For zep would it work? or would i have to get a overdrive pedal.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
It's a very bad sounding pedal, don't buy it (or mod it).
What's your current gear? Budget?
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
you can do a lot better than a ds-1, unless you get a pre 80's one or something like a keely modified one. Visual sounds jekyll and hyde are good as well as the route 66 (but may not quite get you that van halen sound). Keely modified Ibanez tube screamer. Pre-90's Rat distortion. Vox Saturater. Ibanez Jemini (may be a little too bright for some of the low gain Zepplin).
here is the thing. I had the pod 500 and fig i didnt need it and now i just need a good pedal. Cuase i didnt use all the stuff in the hd500. All i want is a dist , tube screamer, but... pedals are expensive.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
i really like the can halen first album sound. I think they call it the brown sound now sure tho

also some nice grit for sabeth songs

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by irnmadn88
THAT sound does not come from a single pedal.

Google is your friend.

Let me guess.. He's gonna need a new amp?

Also, TS, what is your current gear?
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Quote by TuningGamer
Let me guess.. He's gonna need a new amp?

Probably. Of course, Van Halen, Led Zepplin, and Jimi Hendrix all have very different sounds. A JCM 800 would cover them nicely, maybe with a boost for VH, but I have a feeling TS can't afford a new amp if he's looking at a DS-1.
well i have a fender deville... i play mostly blues and such rock. BUt as a cover band was thrown the other songs. So now i have to alter my sound. Would the hd 500 be best bet. May be ill buy it back or the 300

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
I wouldn't say that it'd work particularly well for any of those, why do you feel the need to get a distortion pedal in the first place? The pod hd is a great unit if you know how to tweak it, it's not very noob friendly sadly and Line6 are incapable of creating good presets.
Last edited by Ascendant at Apr 6, 2011,
Well I can't imagine it getting any worse than the DS-1, and really, there are way better distortion pedals out there, if you feel compelled to drop cash on pedals rather than getting a good tube (or modelling if you're on a budget) amp.
im not gonna get another amp i payed 900 for the deville. Prob just get good pedals. I know i made a mistake but im trying to fix it. So whats a good choice for pedals?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
I guess it's out of the question for some reason to sell the deville and get a more appropriate amp since you don't play in a band that requires a clean fender tone or whatever? I'm no distortion pedal expert but pretty much stay away from Boss for distortion pedals, the SD-1 is a great pedal for overdrive though. So how big is your budget anyway?

Then again I'd just go for the pod, or sell the amp if I ever bought a fender and didn't own another amp.
Last edited by Ascendant at Apr 6, 2011,
Selling the Deville and going for something like a Traynor YCV50 blue would be the most sensible thing to do - all the bands you like have distorted, British-voiced amps whilst your Deville is best at clean, American-voiced tones.

Certainly a DS1 isn't going to do what you want, if you must get a pedal you'll need to spend a fair bit more to get something that'll do the job.

A Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde will give you distortion and ovedrive, an MI Audio Crunch Box might be worth a look for your VH tones...a Zvex Box of Rock would be perfect but they're pricey,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by GezzyDiversion
I guess you're looking at the DS-1 because it is the cheapest pedal you can see.

Try a tubescreamer or similar (Boss BD-2 or SD-1) to push the amps gain channel to get a more saturated tone.

Usually I'd agree, but that's never gonna cut the mustard on the Hot Rod's pissweak fizzy OD channel
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
try the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. this will cover tubescreamer tones that would work for say Bad Company and using the setting switch set to mod will get you reasonably close to VH or JP (i say reasonably close not that you'd nail it). part of the answer kinda depends on what songs you are playing. songs like say Living After Midnight or Panama don't requier tons of distortion however other songs would. what is your play list like?
good pedal=/=ds-1. it seriously won't do you any good for what you want to play only for grunge.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by irnmadn88
THAT sound does not come from a single pedal.

Google is your friend.

This is truth!

BUT. . . for the core of the sound, this distortion is maybe what you're after and it's only $50:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Brownie-Classic-Distortion-Classic-Marshall-Amp-tones_p_1076.html

www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
the DS-1 isn't crap, it's just weird. it relies on the rest of your gear matching the pedal, in a way, so if you have either a cruddy amp or an amp that just doesn't like having a DS-1 in front of it you won't get any sounds you're happy with. that's why so many people hate the DS-1 so much but a few people really love it.

unless you've got an amp with an overdrive channel that responds to pedals particularly well and want to use it as a sort of edgy, gritty 'clean boost' (dist pretty low, level full, tone wherever desired), it'll probably be hard to get anything other than harsh and fizzy crapness, basically.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by rawkandrowl
This is truth!

BUT. . . for the core of the sound, this distortion is maybe what you're after and it's only $50:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Brownie-Classic-Distortion-Classic-Marshall-Amp-tones_p_1076.html

Hmm.

Not bad.

Not exactly a HAO Rust Driver with the mode switching.

Gearmanndude:

w/Strat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_79TK0bhcw

w/SG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3UJgHgNeEA
Last edited by irnmadn88 at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
the DS-1 isn't crap, it's just weird. it relies on the rest of your gear matching the pedal, in a way, so if you have either a cruddy amp or an amp that just doesn't like having a DS-1 in front of it you won't get any sounds you're happy with. that's why so many people hate the DS-1 so much but a few people really love it.

unless you've got an amp with an overdrive channel that responds to pedals particularly well and want to use it as a sort of edgy, gritty 'clean boost' (dist pretty low, level full, tone wherever desired), it'll probably be hard to get anything other than harsh and fizzy crapness, basically.

Exactly, the DS-1 is a nice pedal, but if it's going through a cheap solid state, don't expect much.
If you want the brown sound look into a BSIAB2, that is exactly what it was designed to do. If you got money look into Wamplers stuff like the Pinnancle.

You can check them out on youtube