10 48%
Carvin V3m
3 14%
Buy a trailer and haul the renegade to gigs
6 29%
Something else
2 10%
Voters: 21.
My band will hopefully have enough material to start getting some gigs in the next couple months, and I'm in a bit of a quandry about a backup.

I have an Egnater renegade 212 combo that I'm currently only using for the other guitarist to play at practices, etc. That amp is nice, but it's a bit impractical to haul something that large to gigs as a backup.

I've been looking at the POD HD300 as a possible alternative. What do the esteemed contributors to GG&A think about plugging one of those direct into the PA in case the mesa dies at a gig?

The only POD I've ever used is the pocket POD I use for quiet practice, and no way I'm gigging with that, but I've heard the HD series in some clips and they sound a lot better. Plus it's just a backup, so it's just meant to get me through the show so I can troubleshoot the mesa at home. I like this option in theory, because it's very small, light, and easy to carry to a gig. Space in my car is at a premium, so hauling another full sized amp isn't really an option.

One other thing I was considering was getting something like a Carvin V3m micro head as a backup, but that's about doouble the cost of the HD300, so that's kinda a last resort.

TL;DR

Will a POD HD300 direct into a PA (1600W) suffice as a backup "amp" for gigs?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
TL;DR

Will a POD HD300 direct into a PA (1600W) suffice as a backup "amp" for gigs?

Yes.
To be more specific, it would sound much better than you think, the guys at church plug right into the PA and it sounds great. I'm pretty sure he has a similair POD. I also use a small MFX(RP90) direct into PA for gigs and it sounds fine.
Last edited by dopelope at Apr 6, 2011,
My backup at gigs is a Boss Blues Driver into the PA, thankfully I've never needed it.

I work in a theatre and often have to work a lot of musicals, all the guitar players I've seen just have a POD or similar and we just DI it into the desk. It's simple and it sounds great!
I was comparing the 300 and 400... What's the big improvement in the 400 aside from FX loop (which I probably would never use)
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Crate powerblock(too bad they stopped making this one, it is a really nice backup.)

EH .22cal or .44mag
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
So is anyone familiar enough with the POD HD's to know what the differences are between models? I know the -500 is by far the best one, with basically all the options, but that's a bit overkill for me unless I can get one on eBay REALLY cheap. All I can tell from looking at the spec sheet and comparing the -300 and -400 is that the 400 has an FX loop (i don't need), a few more output options (also don't need), and more footswitches (always nice to have)... is there anything I'm missing?

Like I said, this will be a backup rig, so I don't need anything too fancy. But, it would be nice to have some features on it in case I actually have to use it live. I could also ditch the pocket POD I use for quiet practice to justify spending a little extra coin and get a nicer model.

I had no idea GAS applied to backup rigs too.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
The amp isn't the issue here - you bought the wrong car.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Well I have an SUV, but I live almost an hour from where most of our shows will be, and pretty much all the gear is at my place. Everybody else would have to drive to my house, load gear, drive back to Cleveland, play the show, then drive an hour back to my place to unload gear, then another hour back home. So I'm gonna have to pretty much cram everything in my car.

So basically, I don't need a POD so much as I need a trailer for all the gear lol.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Why does everybody have to go to your place first? Just meet them at the gig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i think it would suit as backup, but...

i there are very rare occasions you need a backup. if you carry a couple of extra tubes, fuses, an extra speaker cable, etc. you wouldn't need a backup 99% of the time. most of the guys needing backups are the guys who don't bring fuses and extra tubes and the like.

so again, the pod would be fine into the pa, i used to play at a church and plug my old korg processor into PA and everything was great. so just my $.02
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
They would be coming to haul their gear because I may not be able to fit it all in my car in one trip. Which is why I want to keep the backup rig as small as I possibly can. I already have more gear to haul around than I think will fit in there.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
So they have to come to your place anyway to get their gear? Just cram it all in man. Don't compromise at the gig, that's where it counts.
A lockable box trailer is a good idea though. I once played in a band with one and it was great. We'd just pull up the trailer at whoever lived closest and leave it there until the next day. Next best thing to a bus.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, I've been looking for a small enclosed trailer that can be locked... Problem is that the cheapest one I've seen around here was $900. Kinda steep, but we may have to bite the bullet and pool funds to get one.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Trailers are pretty easy to build. You just need somebody that can weld.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification