Page 1 of 2
Being a spolied brat that has nothing to be depressed about comes first
Os Abysmi Vel Daath
Lol article assumes all teenagers listen to teeny-angst music.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?
"What came first, the music or the misery? Did I listen to music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to music? Do all those records turn you into a melancholy person?

People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands - literally thousands - of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones that like pop music the most; and I don't know whether pop music has caused this unhappiness, but I do know that they've been listening to the sad songs longer than they've been living the unhappy lives".

EDIT: ^ FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!

Last edited by fender_696 at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by fender_696
Or it may be that reading The Catcher in the Rye has a major antidepressant effect.

Wat.
One reason I stopped listening to my chemical romance is because I found it made me unhappy. The other reason I stopped listening to it is because my musical tastes change.

In my experience music really effects my mood, so I've made a partially conscious decision to listen to more 'upbeat' music. I've been much happier since.

EDIT: it may have been coincidence that while I was in my teenage angsty phase I listened to such music because I felt I could 'relate'.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Last edited by ICOG at Apr 6, 2011,
Hahahahaha it's funny how pretty much every article i've read has been so stupid and utterly useless. Honestly, research has said that when they call kids up on their phones which if they can answer means they arn't doing much, (probably why so many of them were "consuming media") that a good percentage had music playing. HEADLINES: "MUSIC CAUSES DEPRESSION".

Oh crap well I guess we all better stop listening to music and start reading books so we don't get depressed.
I've never met a "depressed" teenager before. But I have met people that tell me about their depression.

Some emo music is fantastic. I love Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate, and anything Tim Kasher has ever put out.
i think emo music came around because they knew justin bieber would eventually turn up... be honest, what would you rather listen to?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Emo people (sensitive types) want to listen to emo music. Do you think people starving in Africa listen to Emo, I highly doubt that. Anyway, the point is the majority of people choose how music effects them - someone listening to Vader isn't going to go on a rampage because of the music, it might enforce that emotion but it doesn't cause it.

Depression came before. That is all.
Quote by Dempsey68
i think emo music came around because they knew justin bieber would eventually turn up... be honest, what would you rather listen to?

Listening to justin beiber is a good way to give yourself depression, or any other mental illness for that matter.
I listen to Silencer and Bethlehem when I'm depressed. It's possibly the dumbest thing I do, because I think I've self harmed almost every time and ended up in hospital due to it a few times. I've stopped listening to them for that reason and just listen to power metal instead to see if that will help.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Dempsey68

Hey, is it cool to rag on Justin Bieber at your kindergarten too? Awesome.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Lol this is basically the definition of old people ignorance towards teens
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
Hahahahaha it's funny how pretty much every article i've read has been so stupid and utterly useless. Honestly, research has said that when they call kids up on their phones which if they can answer means they arn't doing much, (probably why so many of them were "consuming media") that a good percentage had music playing. HEADLINES: "MUSIC CAUSES DEPRESSION".

Oh crap well I guess we all better stop listening to music and start reading books so we don't get depressed.

Shut that down. Even a cursory glance at the article tells you it doesn't say that. beginning:
Teenagers are more likely to be depressed if they spend a lot of time listening to music, while teens who read a lot are less depressed, according to new research.

So does that mean that My Chemical Romance is bad for your health? Or that multiple replays of "The Catalyst" by Linkin Park will push an adolescent from moodiness to mental illness?

Not necessarily. The researchers didn't try to nail down cause and effect.

Cor.rel.a.tion.al. And if we go a bit further the researcher says he thinks the opposite is more likely the case:
Pediatrician Brian Primack, at the University of Pittsburgh who was the lead author on the study, says it's more likely that depressed teenagers are turning to music for solace, rather than music being the cause of the mental illness. "They don't feel like doing anything," Primack says. "They don't have a lot of energy, and this is a place where they can go and they don't have to perform."

Christ. Relevant:
Just 0.2 percent of the teenagers said, they were reading

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Last edited by SteveHouse at Apr 6, 2011,
How did Primack and the other researchers investigate the connection? They called 106 teenagers on special cellphones as many as 60 times over eight weeks and asked what they were doing. About half of the teens had been diagnosed with clinical depression by a psychiatrist.

Yeah, that would push me to the verge of mental fucking illness too. Damn creeper pseudo-scientists. They just sound like that annoying guy who no one likes but just hangs around friend groups with his one learned social interaction "Hey, what you up to?"

Also, "emo" is being thrown around too loosely again.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Yeah, that would push me to the verge of mental fucking illness too. Damn creeper pseudo-scientists. They just sound like that annoying guy who no one likes but just hangs around friend groups with his one learned social interaction "Hey, what you up to?"

Informed consent = they were told what would happen, agreed, and could opt out at any time (and knew it).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I have always read books like...a person who reads a lot of books. I also listened to fairly gloomy music as a teen. I was deeply unhappy and suicidal. I'm still not brilliantly cheerful.

I guess reading books doesn't make you happy, eh? I'm certainly a daydreamer though.

Congrats, silly study, which admits to not researching cause and effect.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
This sort of makes sense. I have depression and I spend a lot of my free time just listening to music and doing nothing else. (often rediculously depressing screamo or introspective hip hop).

I've become quite reliant on my ipod. Often resorting to it if I'm uncomfortable or angsty around people. I always have to have some source of music going.
I could honestly see this as having some validity. In high school, there was a period of time from about my sophomore year to my junior year where I didn't do anything other than listen to music. I honestly did become kinda depressed during that time. I didn't really have any friends, and i just stayed at home all the time.

Listening to music did help though. It really inspired me to play a lot of guitar during that time, and I got pretty good.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Apr 6, 2011,
I haven't read the article yet but I would say that music amplifies my mood, it doesn't control it.
cat
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I could honestly see this as having some validity. In high school, there was a period of time from about my sophomore year to my junior year where I didn't do anything other than listen to music. I honestly did become kinda depressed during that time. I didn't really have any friends, and i just stayed at home all the time.

Listening to music did help though. It really inspired me to play a lot of guitar during that time, and I got pretty good.

I think depression can be as productive as it is destructive. Just look at all the amazing art and self discovery it is has inspired.
i hate emos, always hanging around and spending money on chains and braclets >
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
i hate emos, always hanging around and spending money on chains and braclets >

Don't hate, take advantage! Start selling chains which have been painted black and red or whatever, can't fail
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Page 1 of 2