I found one on clearance at GC yesterday and really loved the look, feel, and sound of it. But the question is, are they a really good quality guitar?

I'm sorry I didn't search bar. I'm in the middle of writing a paper and wanted to get this opened and get a few quick responses before I forget.
eh, if it looks good, sounds good and feels right then get it. there's no reason not to. no matter what the name on the headstock says.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
they're not a great quality guitar, but if you like the sound and feel - not to mention the price - does that really matter? they usually cost $99 - what were they asking on clearance?

btw, check it carefully before buying. gc often marks cracked guitars as clearance items where i live, and mitchell is the same company as gc, it's not likely they're clearnancing them.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 6, 2011,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear.gc?internal=1&src=mitchell&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&o=1
as you can see, that's about the top price they charge for a mitchell. not a clearance price. you can get a yamaha fg700s or fg720s for the same price, which is what i'd suggest. unless you really love that mitchell.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
For my first guitar, I bought a Mitchell MD-100 CE. It was about $200. It sounds really good (for a $200 guitar) . The only problem I had was that it deveolped some minor fret buzz on the low E and high E strings on a few frets.. and that was after about 3 years of owning it, but only 6 months of actually playing it. Maybe it was somehow my fault... so I can't totally blame the guitar. Either way, look at it as an investment to learning the guitar. You can't expect a concert-worthy guitar for this price, but it'll sound decent when you play in front of friends, and you can take it with you anywhere without worrying too much about damaging it...
I had one of the acoustic/electric dreadnaughts that sold for 200.00. I was pretty impressed with the fit, finish,and sound for such a cheap instrument.
I was not very impressed with the cheap electronics (you had to take the strings off to change batteries....) and the friction-fit endpin jack that pulled out the first time I tried to pull my cord out....
If I were going to buy one I'd get a straight acoustic with a solid top... A few bucks more but likely worth it.
Quote by Bikewer
I had one of the acoustic/electric dreadnaughts that sold for 200.00. I was pretty impressed with the fit, finish,and sound for such a cheap instrument.
I was not very impressed with the cheap electronics (you had to take the strings off to change batteries....)

We probably had the same one. That does suck if you have to take the strings off each time. I was able to just loosen the hell out of them and my hand fit in. But it still sucks either way.
Quote by BiggsRJ
Either way, look at it as an investment to learning the guitar. You can't expect a concert-worthy guitar for this price, but it'll sound decent when you play in front of friends

I've been playing for a few years now, thank you. But if you didn't know any better you'd think I'd only been playing for a month or two :3

But really, I think I'm going to be a regular at an open mic night a local pizza shop has every month and right now I'm riding on a Yamaha FD02 so I'd like something of a bit better quality, be it tonal and construction. I love my acoustic half to death but I just think it's time to move onto something at least a little better.
the newer yamahas are very nice - good quality, good tone. i suggest you try some from the 700 series - they're probably the best sounding guitars in the 200 to 300 range.
Quote by Skeet UK