Bear with me please, this post will probably be quite long.

So i use a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface to record guitar, with an RCA to 1/4" jack cable connecting it to the line-out of my amp. I recently discovered that this can be used as an actual main sound card. My sound card right now is an on-board one and wasn't designed for recording and producing music and such, and i'm always getting sound problems. So i decided to try and use my UCA202.

Firstly, it might sound stupid but how exactly do i do this? This is what i've done so far: downloaded the correct ASIO drivers for my pc to use it as a soundcard, and set both recording device and playback device to Behringer UCA202. However, when i do this there is no sound coming from anything.

Then i realised that there isn't actually anything going in or out of the thing (except the usb connection to my pc). Like with my onboard soundcard there are the green pink and black 3.5mm jack connections, from my speakers going into the back of my pc which i presume is going to the sound card... But the only things on my UCA202 are, stereo RCA input and output, an 'optical output' and a headphone jack for monitoring.

To put it simply, i just want to fully replace my on board sound card with the UCA202. What do i need to do in order to do this? Sorry i'm such a novice at this by the way.
Last edited by 12Jim34 at Apr 6, 2011,
ASIO is great to reduce latency but you can only use one device (sound card) at a time!!!

If you want to use your internal sound card and your USB soundcard you will want to look at another protocol like WDM. You will lose some clarity and increase latency but you can use one card to record and another for general playback.

On the other hand, you can connect your computer's speakers to the UCA202, disable the internal soundcard and run all ASIO.

I have a USB soundcard and have removed the internal soundcard completely.

Once again, because ASIO bypasses Windows Device software and services, you typically cannot use more than one device at a time. There is probably a way to setup your internal card to be a slave device to the UCA202 -- but you might as well just plug your speakers into the UCA202.
You need to hook your stereo of whatever your using into the headphone out on your UCA202, it's getting the information, but it's not going to send it back to the computer and pump it out of the computers sound card, because you just turned off the computer sound card.

Me personally, I'd use the RCA output and go to the stereo, sounds better.
Ok thanks a lot for clearing things up. Would i get the same sound from connecting my speakers directly to the UCA202 and using just that for everything? Because as i say my current sound card has 3 outputs (green pink and black 3.5mm jacks) to my speakers so i assume that's for the subwoofer as well as the speakers..? But my UCA202 has only got 2 RCA outputs...
Quote by 12Jim34
Ok thanks a lot for clearing things up. Would i get the same sound from connecting my speakers directly to the UCA202 and using just that for everything? Because as i say my current sound card has 3 outputs (green pink and black 3.5mm jacks) to my speakers so i assume that's for the subwoofer as well as the speakers..? But my UCA202 has only got 2 RCA outputs...

Nope.

Check this:

http://www.gilfether.com/connecting-your-subwoofer-with-stereo-wire-to-an-rca-output/69/
Hmm... I'd need to get my hands on 2 RCA to RCA cables for that then. I'll do that and see if it works. Thanks for the help