So im learning Joel the watchman by for today and Im having trouble getting this riff up to speed (140bpm).

Ive been practicing this alt picking from 60bpm 16ths up to 105bpm and cant get past this speed with this particular riff.
I keep trying to bump my speed by pushing myself harder a little but doesn't seem to be working yet.

|------------5-8/11p8-----------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------7----------10-------------10------------------------------------------------|
|------5-8---------------11p8----8----------------------------------------------------|
|--4-7------------------------10------------------------------------------------------|
|6------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Would it be more economical to use legato on this riff (not sure if worded properly) then sweep after the 8/11p8 ?

How would you play it?

Thanks.
Quote by smokeysteve22
So im learning Joel the watchman by for today and Im having trouble getting this riff up to speed (140bpm).

Ive been practicing this alt picking from 60bpm 16ths up to 105bpm and cant get past this speed with this particular riff.
I keep trying to bump my speed by pushing myself harder a little but doesn't seem to be working yet.

|--------------5-8/11p8---------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------7----------10-------------10-----------------------------------------------------|
|------5-8---------------11p8---11--------------------------------------------------|
|--4-7------------------------10------------------------------------------------------|
|6------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Would it be more economical to use legato on this riff (not sure if worded properly) then sweep after the 8/11p8 ?

How would you play it?

Thanks.

This one plays the best. No changes in legato. Start with an upstroke.

|----------------8/11p8-----------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------10--------10--------------------------------------------------------------|
|------5-8-11-------------11p8------14--------------------------------------------------|
|----7-------------------------10-13-----------------------------------------------------|
|6-9------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
 U D D D U D  D  D  U   U  U   U  D  D
Cheers man, just made another varation as i found your one alot harder than the original. Less movement and streches.
   S   S  S   S  S   S  S   S  S  S   S  S   
---------------------------------------------
---L--------------------------16-------------
-----------------------14h-17----17p-14------
----------------13h-16------------------16p-1
---------12h-15------------------------------
--13h-16-------------------------------------

Just if anyone is learning this song also.
Quote by dirtfoot
I misunderstood you, I thought you wanted it economy picked.

Oh, I see now. I think the way i wrote my post was misleading

It was meant to be more economical for my fretting hand.