So I set on buying a Marshall JCM800... but when I typed in the name on ebay there were like many models of a JCM 800.

So what model should I get? << I play stuff like: Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden etc.
2203 or 2204
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
Get some kind of boost pedal too if you want that extra heavy crunchy/chugging tone. The JCM800 is high gain but not super metal sounding without boost. At least none that I've ever heard have been in stock form.
Yea the 2203 or 2204 is what you want, and you probably want an OD pedal like the previous guys have mentioned.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Just to clarify on what others have said: The 2203 and 2204 refer to the particular circuit. The 2203 is the 100 watt while the 2204 is the 50 watt. There are other circuits that have the JCM800 model name but it's almost always the 2203 and 2204 that people are referring to when they say "JCM800."
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
2203 Kerry King Model. Its awesome.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Any of the non channel switchers. Google up a listing of model numbers.

I'd do it for you but I'm on my phone.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
whats the obsession with 2203's and 4's ?
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
Epiphone Special Les Paul
Peavey Milestone III Bass
Because they're the single channel heads. Heads are generally more sought than combos when it comes to Marshall.

The channel switchers (2205, 2210) aren't as good, IMO, because of the diode clipping as well as the design flaw that makes the clean channel pretty much useless.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
surely youed want the diode clipping for that extra bit of gain?
earlyer ones better then?
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
Epiphone Special Les Paul
Peavey Milestone III Bass
Quote by Garry94
surely youed want the diode clipping for that extra bit of gain?
earlyer ones better then?

More gain isn't always better.

Besides, you can just slam the single channel ones with a Tubescreamer, SD-1 or other overdrive pedal and achieve better results if you want more gain.

I was curious also on jcm 800. 100 watt ? Jesus who need s one that loud.

Can it play classic and 80s stuff? I saw ones used for 600+. 100 watt ones. Also i play a hss strat.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Quote by silly6-string
I was curious also on jcm 800. 100 watt ? Jesus who need s one that loud.

Can it play classic and 80s stuff? I saw ones used for 600+. 100 watt ones. Also i play a hss strat.

The difference between 50W and 100W is more one of tone, headroom and punchiness than volume.

As far as practical use is concerned, they're equally loud.

I owned a 1980 2204 and yes, it was a 70s and 80s rock machine.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The difference between 50W and 100W is more one of tone, headroom and punchiness than volume.

As far as practical use is concerned, they're equally loud.

I owned a 1980 2204 and yes, it was a 70s and 80s rock machine.

What info would i ask to make sure i was getting a good 2204 head ? Is the 100wat head louder than a 60 watt develle? I saw one on gc. Used for 600+ the 2204 that is. Dunno if it was a 1980.

What cab woul i get with it ?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
If it's a 2203 100W and you want a good one, make sure it has vertical input jacks.

That is, a line drawn between the High and Low should look like | and not like _. The horizontal ones have half the filtering and sound like crap unless they have 6550s, but I'd still avoid them even then.

With 2204s the period doesn't matter, but the closer you get to '78, the fatter (on average) the tone will be as the circuits tended to get brighter as the 80s rolled on.

I'd just look for one that sounds real good when you crank the volume up to around 6 and play with the preamp gain.

Make sure there aren't any scratchy pots and ask when the last time the filter capacitors were changed (should be about every 7-10 years).

Get whatever cab you want/can afford.

Edit: also ask if any mods were made on it and look for holes in the chassis at the back. Sometimes people do hamfisted things to those amps and it can really screw things up.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Apr 13, 2011,