I have this old Stratocaster knockoff guitar that's a total piece of shit, so I decided that over the summer I would just re-do the whole thing. But I have some issues with how I'll make it work. It's the exact layout of a SSS Fender Stratocaster. I wanted to sand the body down completely and re-finish it so it doesn't look awful, then I wanted to get new pickups. For the neck I want a lipstick pickup and a p-90 pickup at the middle, with no bridge pickup.

The issue is under the pickguard the body cavity is just a hollow mess, I was wondering if it was possible to fill that up and have no pickup and make a new cavity in the back for all my wiring and knobs and such.

Has anyone ever doe anything like this and have any idea how easy it would be to go about doing?
Quote by sk8m8trix
I have this old Stratocaster knockoff guitar that's a total piece of shit, so I decided that over the summer I would just re-do the whole thing. But I have some issues with how I'll make it work. It's the exact layout of a SSS Fender Stratocaster. I wanted to sand the body down completely and re-finish it so it doesn't look awful, then I wanted to get new pickups. For the neck I want a lipstick pickup and a p-90 pickup at the middle, with no bridge pickup.

The issue is under the pickguard the body cavity is just a hollow mess, I was wondering if it was possible to fill that up and have no pickup and make a new cavity in the back for all my wiring and knobs and such.

Has anyone ever doe anything like this and have any idea how easy it would be to go about doing?

When you say "...make a new cavity in the back..." do you mean a rear-route?
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Yeah. Just whatever would allow me to not have to put a pickguard up there to cover all the routing work like it has now.
A buddy of mine did something similar with a cheap SX strat copy.

What he did was glued (titebond I believe) in large pieces of wood to fill in the cavity, clamped, let everything dry and then used his dremel to achieve what you are looking for.

There are probably much better approaches to tackling this but if it's a cheap starter guitar then it might be worth a shot.

Note: if you do decide to go that route I would recommend a solid color finish, it's not the most appealing procedure.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
yeah I figured it would be really noticeable so I'd just matte finish it cause I think matte finishes are sexy and it would cover all my ****ups. The body is already noticeably cheap wood to begin with.
you'd need to fill in ALL existing cavities (except the trem routing) with blocks of wood. As you would then be re-routing into those blocks, they'd need to be nice and tight with no gaps. It is do-able, but probably less hassle to go out, buy a cheap (eg. poplar or basswood) body blank and use the existing body as a template.