I have asked before and did get advice ,but please help again !!! I'm trying to get into this scale thing ,but ...

Advice was start with a major scale . Cool ,no prob, Google's your friend and .... hours later it's diatonic scale this, dorian that ,"This is a G major based on a E chord..." blah blah blah and it's "movable" but looks different as an A,B,C,D whatever ... Got this cool diagram of the "Caged" system ,but which is which etc.

Can someone PLEASe help! A movable major shape: Does it mean it stays the same ie; the "dots" forms a picture and it's "A" and you move this same "picture" down 2 frets and it's "B" ... But that cant be,since Caged says theres only 5 shapes blah blah...

Please understand my frustration and apologies for the idiocy ...
Screw caged, screw dorian this lydian that, screw modes altogether, the word mode doesn't exist in your world yet. As soon as you stumble upon a lesson that mentions any scale or key but the minor or major, if it's a basic lesson, move on to another one since it's probably going to confuse you more than it'll help if you don't even know about intervals yet.

I strongly suggest reading The Crusade, great series of tutorials and you should read all of them in order if you want to learn about keys and scales and all that jazz. Just because I'm such a nice chap here's the first one http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_i.html. The second part (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_2_intervals.html) is about intervals, which you should understand before learning about the scales themselves.
Last edited by Ascendant at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Ovation e148
I have asked before and did get advice ,but please help again !!! I'm trying to get into this scale thing ,but ...

Advice was start with a major scale . Cool ,no prob, Google's your friend and .... hours later it's diatonic scale this, dorian that ,"This is a G major based on a E chord..." blah blah blah and it's "movable" but looks different as an A,B,C,D whatever ... Got this cool diagram of the "Caged" system ,but which is which etc.

Can someone PLEASe help! A movable major shape: Does it mean it stays the same ie; the "dots" forms a picture and it's "A" and you move this same "picture" down 2 frets and it's "B" ... But that cant be,since Caged says theres only 5 shapes blah blah...

Please understand my frustration and apologies for the idiocy ...

You're over complicating it.

Whoever said "Start with the Major scale" had it wrong IMO, IF we are talking about new scales for lead...if we are talking about THEORY, then they had it right. Caged, isn't for THEORY imo, its lead. So first clarify your goals and objectives.

If you want lead...then do this. You start with just a simple Pent minor scale, and the notes on the neck. Learn those, and leave it at that for a while. Find some basic i key tracks (blues preferably) and start experimenting.

I teach this stuff, theory scales, the entire fretboard, from beginning to end, so you do have one option there, if you want to learn more, click my link, send me a PM, whatever.... but there are many other options as well, and Im not trying to sell you on mine, just to let you know whats out there. OK, done.

Being Self taught is going to be full of these big confusing pitfalls, unfortunately that's the "cost" you pay in messed up advice, inconsistent information etc. But, you CAN push through it, over time if that's all you have as an option.

But for what its worth, if you are new to scales. Go learn one pattern of the Pent Minor scale, start learning the Notes on the Neck of the guitar. When you have your starting notes, simply move that 1 simple pattern (notice I said start with 1 pattern...I mean it..unless you love confusion) to that note for that key and bang away and explore.

I hope this saves you a lot of uneccesary hassle and frustration. In addition to teaching, I also have a free mentoring service, if you want one on one guidance, click my link and send me a brief introduction concerning your playing history, goals, the usual.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Apr 6, 2011,
Thank you gents for the replies and information !

@Ascendant: I actually scanned through those before,will pay more attention to it ,thx

@Sean:"if we are talking about THEORY, then they had it right. Caged, isn't for THEORY imo, its lead. So first clarify your goals and objectives."
I play acoustic/electric ,rhythym and a few lead/melody/riffs/lines...,pop/rock mostly. Would just like to solo a bit over chords where possible ... Will pop you a pm anyways ,thank you.