I joined this band back in november, and it was started by a producer and his son who apparently have a lot of connections. They aren't in it, they just manage. I wasn't initially impressed by the music which consisted of three songs, one original and two covers that I didn't particularly enjoy. Once they allowed us to write/learn our own stuff, I felt better because the five songs we've written are pretty good. The thing that worries me is how quick the managers seem to be when it comes to firing people. They continuously tell us not to get attached and that we are all expendable.

We began recording this weekend, and we aren't impressed with their mix so we asked them to retry (I asked them politely. The drummer admittedly did freak out) and they apparently got very upset and told the singer that they would fire all of us and then they calmed down and said no never mind we'll keep you. When asked if we could mix it ourselves, they replied that we were being ungrateful and all that jazz. A lot of this just seems rather silly and disturbing to me. I'm thinking about calling them myself and speaking to them personally. As of now we have 8 songs (3 which they 'own,' and 5 which we 'own'). What would you guys recommend?
Dis management and get back to making the band work, they dont own you, continue writing good songs that make you and the band happy.
If they become too much of a problem, and the whole band agrees on that, you could then fire them, or just all quit and start up a new band together, since you own 5 of the songs.
Rhe managers may have put the band together, but they do not own the band. Tell them to **** off, and if they continue to act like dicks, fire them.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
A good manager knows that team building is important.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
why don't you guys take the five songs you own, and then go practice them and record someplace else, unless you guys were dumb and signed a bad contract.... hell you guys could just get yourselves fired and start a band together, I would personally find this one way more fun haha...

oh yeah do they pay you? if not they can't really fire you.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by JasperPryce
We began recording this weekend, and we aren't impressed with their mix so we asked them to retry (I asked them politely. The drummer admittedly did freak out) and they apparently got very upset and told the singer that they would fire all of us and then they calmed down and said no never mind we'll keep you.

Why did you ask them instead of the recording engineer? If it was just the mix, it could have been fixed easily on the spot (without any retrying).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah, ideally, a manager is someone who is hired by the band and works for them, not the other way around. Their job is usualy to sort out the business side of a band, leaving the band itself free to concentrate on the creative side. The band creates the product, (the music, from conception to recording) and the management markets and sells the product.
(Gigs are generaly handled by a third party, the agent, who can be hired by either the band or the management, but failing that either the band or the management can act as the agent and get the gig themselves.)

Being in a band and being creative is hard enough without someone who really should have nothing to do with the creative part getting involved in it.

With that in mind, Chrisseh's suggestion seems the best to me, "all quit and start up a new band together".
Do they pay you?
If not, screw them. Tell them that you aren't paid to take their shit.

If yes, screw them. Tell them that you aren't paid enough to take their shit.

If they pay you a lot, then sit there and take it. You're paid to take their shit.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 7, 2011,
^

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You could split from them and cut all ties, and go out on your own.

Honestly, this guy sounds like a major douchebag.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by kangaxxter
Do they pay you?
If not, screw them. Tell them that you aren't paid to take their shit.

If yes, screw them. Tell them that you aren't paid enough to take their shit.

If they pay you a lot, then sit there and take it. You're paid to take their shit.

bravo good sir just bravo
Quote by Drummerrrrr?
Your singer doesn't happen to be Hayley Williams by any chance? No?

www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)