I recently bought a used valveking 112. It is my first tube amp and i dont know how old the tubes are or what the amp sounds like new. It still has what i believe are stock rubys Also does it need biasing. What brands would you recomend that are reasonably priced.
Just rock it! If it works, it works, and assuming the tubes are original or OEM, it doesn't need rebiasing. If you rely on it to gig, it never hurts to get a backup set.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by clevelandcavs22
I recently bought a used valveking 112. It is my first tube amp and i dont know how old the tubes are or what the amp sounds like new. It still has what i believe are stock rubys Also does it need biasing. What brands would you recomend that are reasonably priced.

Always a good idea to replace stock tubes. I did a tube swap and a speaker swap on my valveking. Also bought a MXR 10 band EQ (in the FX loop) for it as well. Those 3 things made it playable for me. Anyway, as far as brands of tubes, thats more of a opinion thing. But the 2 best places for tubes that I know are www.dougstubes.com and www.eurotubes.com. You can email with DOug about tubes and he can tell you what his customers like the most with that particular amp.

Oh yea, VK's are a fixed bias as well.

Also, for everything VK related, join the discussion in this massive VK thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296&page=1&pp=20

Good Luck.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
Sell the tube amp. Get a good solid state amp. Laugh at the tube amp guys for:

1. Having to spend money to replace tubes every year at the least.
2. Having the distraction of "what if my amp sounded better with this kind of tube in this position or with these tubes or this mix of tubes" etc.
3. Having to get their amp biased every so often.
4. Having to lug around those heavy tube amps and worrying about screwing something up.
5. Having all that extra heat in their practice space.
6. Always worrying about accidentally turning it on without being connected to a guitar cab.
7. Always worrying about plugging their head into the wrong impedance jack on their cab on a dark stage.
8. Worrying about retensioning tube sockets.
9. Worrying about filter caps and screen grid resistors wearing out / blowing out / frying on a hot day or in a hot environment / etc.
10. Resale value going down because their tube amp isn't the exact specific sought-after 'tone monster' of the moment.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
Sell the tube amp. Get a good solid state amp. Laugh at the tube amp guys for:

1. Having to spend money to replace tubes every year at the least.
2. Having the distraction of "what if my amp sounded better with this kind of tube in this position or with these tubes or this mix of tubes" etc.
3. Having to get their amp biased every so often.
4. Having to lug around those heavy tube amps and worrying about screwing something up.
5. Having all that extra heat in their practice space.
6. Always worrying about accidentally turning it on without being connected to a guitar cab.
7. Always worrying about plugging their head into the wrong impedance jack on their cab on a dark stage.
8. Worrying about retensioning tube sockets.
9. Worrying about filter caps and screen grid resistors wearing out / blowing out / frying on a hot day or in a hot environment / etc.
10. Resale value going down because their tube amp isn't the exact specific sought-after 'tone monster' of the moment.

your either a troll putting a lot of effort into this, or a really stupid person. most of what you posted is absolutely retarted.
Quote by irnmadn88
Would you buy a used car and not change the oil?

Good call. I love a good analogy.