Hi guys, I have an Stoner-Psychedelic rock band and I was thinking in buying a big muff. I was listening to the russian muff and I really like its sound but I cant get it anywhere. So i decided to go for a NYC Big Muff, and that was when the Litlle Big Muff appeared.

What do you think of the little big muff in comparison to the big muff?

Do you think any of this fuzz would be ok for the music style I play?

And what`s about the Russian Muff??

Thanks for answering! Cheers!!!
Quote by somedude789
Buy more pot, fab after smoking said pot, then kill a baby, and finally eat so much food that you must get your stomach pumped.
I used to own the little big muff but never played the NYC model, I am also interested to hear from someone who has played both. But yes I think it suits that style of music very well. It's a very vocal fuzz with loads of sustain and is very popular in psychedelic rock.
I own both a russian muff and an american and I strongly dislike the russian one, it just sounds harsh and bleh to me, I loved the NYC one when I used it, but it gets drowned in band situations.
Out of these two, I'd go for the NYC without any hesitation.
However, I haven't tried the little muff, but I heard it was the exact same pedal as the NYC in a compact casing
I thing the muff sounds fuller and fatter than the little muff. The muff with the tone wicker is supposed to very good. Another alternative I have heard great things about is the mud honey, by T bone I think. a friend of mine is raving about his none stop
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html#MuffVersionSummary

This reckons that the Little Big Muff is brighter and has a little less bottom end. But I've A/B'd them and there really is no difference between them. Personally I'd go for the Little Big Muff. Sturdier, Boss-style adapter jack and smaller footprint. I miss mine quite a lot.

EDIT: If you want something closer to the Russian Muff, go for the Bass Big Muff and use it on the Normal setting. It's based on the Russian Muff circuit.

But hell, if you've got a bit more to spend, go the Musket all the way.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Apr 6, 2011,
I have the giant nyc muff. I love it, but I have been wondering about the Russian. I have noticed that there are many who buy the Russian and then mod it a wee bit and hot dang it sounds gorgeous. Worth noting that Billy Corgan uses a Russian if you weren't aware. As does Dan Auerbach (Black Keys) but I believe both have modded theirs a tad though.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25
I have the giant nyc muff. I love it, but I have been wondering about the Russian. I have noticed that there are many who buy the Russian and then mod it a wee bit and hot dang it sounds gorgeous. Worth noting that Billy Corgan uses a Russian if you weren't aware. As does Dan Auerbach (Black Keys) but I believe both have modded theirs a tad though.

Hmm? Have I been horribly, horribly mislead, NakedInTheRain? I did a bit of reading on fuzz pedals ages ago and that's what I found but it is the internet after all.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by Darkflame
However, I haven't tried the little muff, but I heard it was the exact same pedal as the NYC in a compact casing

Look at the PCB inside a regular modern Big Muff... The PCB is about the size of a Boss compact.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by mike_anderson25
Hmm? Have I been horribly, horribly mislead, NakedInTheRain? I did a bit of reading on fuzz pedals ages ago and that's what I found but it is the internet after all.

I'm not sure if dan's is modded, and Billy used a pedal that was based off of the civil war muffs, I can't recall what it's name is. I think...

Anyway, I have a little big muff, and a first edition Russian big muff, and I have run those with my friends regular one. I prefer the little to the big for sound and convenience, though they practically sound the same, but the old Russian muffs just sound so much better IMO. I want another one to use as a light distortion.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by kracdown
I'm not sure if dan's is modded, and Billy used a pedal that was based off of the civil war muffs, I can't recall what it's name is. I think...

Anyway, I have a little big muff, and a first edition Russian big muff, and I have run those with my friends regular one. I prefer the little to the big for sound and convenience, though they practically sound the same, but the old Russian muffs just sound so much better IMO. I want another one to use as a light distortion.

I know Dan has an Earthquaker fuzz as well, as the makers are Akron lads as well apparently. And he defo has a Russian muff, or at least did when they brought out their first live dvd (you get a couple of clear shots of his pedal board).

The old Russian muffs must be awesome, they're expensive as **** on ebay at the very least! My flat mate made his own Big Muff using the old 'Rams Head' specs and it sounds pretty sweet.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25
I know Dan has an Earthquaker fuzz as well, as the makers are Akron lads as well apparently. And he defo has a Russian muff, or at least did when they brought out their first live dvd (you get a couple of clear shots of his pedal board).

The old Russian muffs must be awesome, they're expensive as **** on ebay at the very least! My flat mate made his own Big Muff using the old 'Rams Head' specs and it sounds pretty sweet.

Yeah earthquakes devices is based in Akron. I don't think the old Russians are to bad, you just have to always scan eBay. I got mine for under $200.00, which is the lowest I've seen for a first version green muff.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Billy Corgan used (famously, I might add) a V4 Op-Amp Big Muff for his fuzz tones on Siamese Dream. Not sure about his previous/future stuff from that point, but the V4 Op-Amp Muff is the quintessential Smashing Pumpkins pedal. Matt at Stomp Under Foot makes a clone of the Op-Amp Muff called the Pumpkin Pi...I've been looking into this myself for a while.

And the reason Russians are so expensive on eBay is the same reason that any vintage Muff is expensive on eBay. Out of production and mojo factor.