So I record with garageband. I just finished recording the music for a rap rock song that me and a couple of friends are doing, and I want to make the mix as a whole louder but how do I do this without clipping? (I realize this may be a noobish question but oh well )
compress the **** out of it. if all you care about is loudness.
Multi-Instrumentalists FTW!!!
Quote by joshpasson
compress the **** out of it. if all you care about is loudness.

any recommended compression settings? Right now I have the threshold at -10dB, ratio at 3:1, the attack at 0ms and decay at 20ms but that still causes it to clip too much for my liking.
with compression, with dealing with loudness, i got my compressor set at 8:1, fast attack, fast release, threshold at -10dB
just know that overcompression can make your audio sound diminished, while the actual output is quite high.
Get an analyzer and find all the frequencies you don't need on each instrument.. EQ those out, especially in the low frequencies. give you a lot of room to move without compression. Compress the track that shift in volume a lot. Those two things have helped me gain a lot of volume without throwing a compressor on the master.

EQ the frequencies you want boost on master (if you want, although I always end up with a worse sounding doing this so I never even try to do this). After that if your not satisfied compress/limit the mater, but not so much that there is no "pumping".

The top paragraph will give you much success and I highly recommended for your mixing stage. The second paragraph you can attempt, but I find my music usually looses dynamics, and sound I originally had so I don't do it often for my own music. (I usually limit/compress master track on other people music cause all they care about is the brickwall.)

With that said I am not a master mixer and master and don't have the experiences in real studios that some people on here do, but I highly don't recommend you to "compress the shit out of your instruments". Unless volume is all you care about.
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 6, 2011,
If you have a balanced mix with no major peaks, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAJ6fDG4Rms
Making sure everything is balanced is essential. If you've got a huge snare that's eating a ton of headroom, for example, use gclip on it prior to the mastering to raise it's volume but save headroom.
Quote by FireHawk

With that said I am not a master mixer and master and don't have the experiences in real studios that some people on here do, but I highly don't recommend you to "compress the shit out of your instruments". Unless sound is all you care about.

I just answered his question about loudness, he never said he wanted it to sound good.
Quote by joshpasson
I just answered his question about loudness, he never said he wanted it to sound good.

Isn't that understood?

I got it louder, but it's not quite as loud as songs I have on iTunes.