Page 5 of 8
This seems to be the only viable place on UG to ask my question:

How would I program the drums in the pre-verse of Bloodlust by Venom?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udBKbqeSgOg
It starts at 29 seconds.

Particularily, I'm not sure on the snare. I've been trying different things to get the sound, but I'm just not getting it.
I'm using EZDrummer with Drumkit From Hell.

I was thinking I might have to actually record my snare rather than using the standard one. Out of the 6(?) snares, none of them fit the tuning or sound that I need.

One last thing,
How do I find the BPM of a song?

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated.
..I was watching my death.
I don't really know what to tell you in terms of the tone of the snare. Try and screw around with the mixing?

Also, I'll have a look at that tomorrow, and tab it in GP. In terms of figuring out BPM, just... listen to the song I guess. You develop a feel for it pretty quickly. Try and know the "sound" of different tempos I guess. I can tell you right now that that part is triplets and about 170-180 bpm.

I got to go to sleep, so yeah, I'll check it out tomorrow. Or today, as it were. Meh.
Thanks Steve.

As for the Snare, I need the actual snare tuning to be lower than that and I need a much crappier snare recording.
I'm writing all of my MIDI files in Cubase. It's a pain to do, but I'm not really familiar with doing it in Guitar Pro anyways.

I think I might acquire SuperiorDrummer 2.0. I'm going to end up using it for a long time and right now, EZDrummer DFH isn't doing it for me 100%.
It's actually more like 190-ish bpm, but yeah. In that case, here:

51 = ride, 40 = snare, 36 = bass.

That's pretty much the entirety of the groove I think, it's a little hard to tell since the quality of that vid isn't the best... looks to be an awesome gig though haha.
Thanks!
I got the BPM correct originally. I had it at 192 as well.

That's the best quality video of Bloodlust I've found. I don't think they even have a studio version.

Thanks again,
--timbit
Frenchy said there would NEVER be a drum forum, and I come back after a year and THERE'S A DRUM FORUM?!

Well played, old-admin.

What we all talking about in here?!
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
Frenchy said there would NEVER be a drum forum, and I come back after a year and THERE'S A DRUM FORUM?!

Well played, old-admin.

What we all talking about in here?!

Thats why you go straight to the site owners / people higher than Admin
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Thats why you go straight to the site owners / people higher than Admin

Hell yeah Rankles (?) zappp (?) AWWWWWH YEAH

How do I get in on the June drummer contest?!?!
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
God damnit Bloodlust drums are hard to program. I got the hardest part done, the part I asked for help.
I ended up putting a snare all the way through the pre-verse with a velocity of 60 then velocity 90 for the accented hits.

EDIT:
Eight hours later and I'm done.
Christ that was difficult.
Protip: When trying to program drums for a song only performed live... Give up.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Jun 14, 2011,
Hey drummers, I just acquired a drum set. I want to learn to play but I don't know where to start. Advice would be much appreciated!
Quote by dylanfromearth
Hey drummers, I just acquired a drum set. I want to learn to play but I don't know where to start. Advice would be much appreciated!

Try and imitate this guy.

I just started out playing songs I know. That's still mostly what I do.
Quote by Alex Vik
Try and imitate this guy.

I just started out playing songs I know. That's still mostly what I do.

If you were a girl I'd probably fall in love and stalk you for posting this.... Is what I would say if I was weird (Then again, i'm on a UG forum).

Even if you don't like hip hop music, listen to the Roots and try and learn Questloves beats and his style, it's a great starting point. That and learn your standard 4/4 rock beat and be able to play it cleanly to a metronome for atleast 5 minutes
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Stay Cool is super easy on the drums...stayyy coool, stay coooool
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by Niiko

Even if you don't like hip hop music, listen to the Roots and try and learn Questloves beats and his style, it's a great starting point. That and learn your standard 4/4 rock beat and be able to play it cleanly to a metronome for atleast 5 minutes

Wow, the Roots are great. I am sensing this is legitimately great advice. How long does it take to become proficient?
Quote by dylanfromearth
Wow, the Roots are great. I am sensing this is legitimately great advice. How long does it take to become proficient?

It varies really, I'd learn the standard rock beat first, and it's all a matter of how quickly you pick it up and how much you practice. But I say anything from a week to a month or two if you spend every day practicing it for 10-20 minutes
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

So start a conversation about something i'll participate... so you wont get bored
The band I had to leave when I got sent to Afghanistan just started playing some very high visibility shows.

They are booked for the California State Fair, and in support of that they have made some TV and Radio appearances. They also have offers from clubs in So Cal and Vegas. For a cover band getting national exposure is the Holy Grail.

The worst part is the guy they hired is adequate, at best, but is a long time friend of the band. When I came home I wanted my gig back but they couldn't seem to find the balls to fire him.

Anybody ever have a situation like this where you feel like you missed your chance.
I'm jealous you guys are getting gig opportunities, I'm in an originals band but we are still in the writing process. Its moving a bit slowly for my liking, but hopefully we can do some jam nights soon.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
How long have I been gone from this site???

I remember seeing Zappp himself say there will never be a drum forum.
We still going to finish all of the Drum Forum FAQ? It's pretty much come to a stop for months. I don't mind writing another guide.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Sounds good, I'll have a look at whats left to do

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Anybody still alive in the drum forum?

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
It's always like this.
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
Well I'm gonna start coming to the Drum Forum now.

Just bought myself a second kit (my other one's always at my band's singer's house, as that's where we practice). Feels fantastic to have a kit at home again. It's getting me back into shape
It'd be nice to get regular forum traffic this way but there's not many drummers or not many people interested, or both?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Niiko
It'd be nice to get regular forum traffic this way but there's not many drummers or not many people interested, or both?

Well I'm going to post here.
Whether or not people pay atention to me is a totally different matter though