Anybody played one of these? Theyve got tube preamps, but mostly solid states innards. Just curious how they sounded. I live about two hours from any major guitar shops, and I'm really curious. So, who can tell me anything and everything about hybrid amps?

Also... why the hell doesn't anybody sell Krank?!

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Hybrid amps are, in my opinion, mostly a marketing scheme. One tube preamp doesn't go very far in giving you a real tube amp warmth.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
There seem to be some decent hybrids and then there are an equal amount of them that are lacking.

I personally own and use a hybrid. Mine is a Legend Rock N Roll 50 from the early '80's. It's a loud as hell 50 watt combo (but I run it through a 4x12 because the internal speaker is too bright for my tastes) with 3 12ax7's in the preamp (JJ's since I obtained it) and a fat sounding solid state power section.

I really dig the amp, and most people who see and hear it assume it's all tube. I've heard some hybrids that just sound thin and lifeless, but my Legend is fantastic. I'm not an expert on the topic by any means, but that's my personal experience with my hybrid.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Depending on what you call a hybrid theres some pretty good sounding hybrids...

The blackstar stuff is decent, I liked my HT-5. My axe-fx rig is hybrid.. maybe backwards than what most "hybrids" are.. It sounds huge.

Mostly, you get what you pay for.. Cheap stuff sounds cheap. Theres plenty of tube purists who swear by certain things, but in the mix of a band in a live situation, most people couldn't tell with their eyes closed if sounded good.
/rig
Yes exactly. What everyone else has said. Hybrids can sound good. Just use your ears.

Sorry that you live two hours from any guitar shops, but it would be worth giving up a day to go hear things for yourself. Just think: spend a shit-ton on getting amps shipped to you until you find one you like, or just go to a couple guitar shops and try out a ton of amps and get a clearer idea. I think the latter sounds more appealing doesn't it? It will be worth it in the long run trust me.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by sjones
There seem to be some decent hybrids and then there are an equal amount of them that are lacking.

I personally own and use a hybrid. Mine is a Legend Rock N Roll 50 from the early '80's. It's a loud as hell 50 watt combo (but I run it through a 4x12 because the internal speaker is too bright for my tastes) with 3 12ax7's in the preamp (JJ's since I obtained it) and a fat sounding solid state power section.

I really dig the amp, and most people who see and hear it assume it's all tube. I've heard some hybrids that just sound thin and lifeless, but my Legend is fantastic. I'm not an expert on the topic by any means, but that's my personal experience with my hybrid.

finally another person that uses a Legend amp . i have a R&R 50 2x12 from 79 and you are correct it is loud as hell and has an authentic tube sound. the big difference is that the preamp in those is all tube and is run at the proper plate voltage. most modern hybrid amps have one tube that is in the circuit but isnt that actual circuit. the tube isn't run at a high enough voltage to really warm up and do the job properly. as mentioned most of the hybrids are really just a gimick and don't really give you a real tube sound. the vox amps use the tube as a faux power amp tube but this isn't really very effective. about all i've noticed is that modern hybrids do take a little of the edge off the SS sound but that's about it.
Quote by monwobobbo
finally another person that uses a Legend amp . i have a R&R 50 2x12 from 79 and you are correct it is loud as hell and has an authentic tube sound. the big difference is that the preamp in those is all tube and is run at the proper plate voltage. most modern hybrid amps have one tube that is in the circuit but isnt that actual circuit. the tube isn't run at a high enough voltage to really warm up and do the job properly. as mentioned most of the hybrids are really just a gimick and don't really give you a real tube sound. the vox amps use the tube as a faux power amp tube but this isn't really very effective. about all i've noticed is that modern hybrids do take a little of the edge off the SS sound but that's about it.

Legends FTW!

I'm actually thinking that once I get some money saved from the new position I just got at work, I might look into trying to find a good deal on another Legend. It seems they're selling pretty cheap. The one I'm using now was a gift from an old friend who taught me a lot about music as a kid, so I'm keeping it stock other than the normal upkeep things, like tubes. I'd like to get one that I can get modded and really tinker with.

It's funny, they're some of the oldest hybrids, but put these new hybrids to shame.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
What amp in particular are you looking at, TS? There are many many amps that are hybrid, and they're all fairly different. And the level of the hybrid matters a lot.

For instance, a Vox VT that has 1 preamp tube isn't really going to make a whole lot of tonal difference, whereas a Vypyr Tube that has a full tube power amp, as well as a preamp tube is going to be much more noticable.

Then there's the non modeling hybrids, like Blackstar, which I'm not really a fan of.

Personally, I wish people would stop giving amps a hierarchy based on if they're tube, SS or hybrid. Just use your ears, instead of focusing so much on that. At the end of the day, good amps are good amps. Most are tube, certainly, and most tubes amps are better than most SS amps, but that doesn't mean that the inclusion of tubes will automatically make an amp better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Personally, I wish people would stop giving amps a hierarchy based on if they're tube, SS or hybrid. Just use your ears, instead of focusing so much on that. At the end of the day, good amps are good amps. Most are tube, certainly, and most tubes amps are better than most SS amps, but that doesn't mean that the inclusion of tubes will automatically make an amp better.

Amen, brother!

So let it be written; so let it be done.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I have a Line 6 hybrid and it sounds good, My buddy has a Randall V2 it sounds OK, The Krank SSt is lame actualy the only thing That I even like about Krank is the Rev 4x12, its rad. But their heads aren't worth Half of what they charge.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have a Line 6 hybrid and it sounds good, My buddy has a Randall V2 it sounds OK, The Krank SSt is lame actualy the only thing That I even like about Krank is the Rev 4x12, its rad. But their heads aren't worth Half of what they charge.
Line 6 makes a hybrid? o.O
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
Line 6 makes a hybrid? o.O

yep. it sounds much much better than the regular spider..... but still not as good as a vypyr tube or a valvetronics