Tried searching, and for some lovely reason "sx" can't be searched for. So now I'm here, curious about them.

I've read up on them, played a 5-er Jazz, and also played tons of other basses in the local music store. Now, I'm looking to get a P-bass, and have read that SX with some new p-ups can sound just as good as a Fender? If that's the case, which of the two would sound better for punk/progressive music styles? Or any pros/cons to the two other than a $40 price gap.
http://www.rondomusic.com/product3650.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/ursabkmn.html (also available w/rosewood neck).

Last, what p-ups should I throw in them? I used to have a Squier P-Bass with Basslines 3/4 lb pickups and loved them. Now, those have been lost and I don't have the Squier so I'm looking for something new (as in new and cheap, or used and still cheap). Even though I like the Bassline p-ups, I can't exactly test out other ones. Would EMG's give me a better tone, or etc.

Thanks a bunch.
SX is a pretty good brand, the people who have them really like them and they seldom get really bad marks. They're probably about the level of an upper end Squier/MIM Fender, but with inferior pickups and hardware. As for the price difference, they're charging more for the first one you linked because its ash as opposed to alder. Neither bass is really better or worse then each other, they just use different wood, and one has block inlays which may or may not be a plus for you depending on your taste.

As for pups, Duncan QPs are a great general go-to pickup replacement. Whether other pickups sound better or worse is subjective, is there any kind of tone you're going for in particular?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
SX is a pretty good brand, the people who have them really like them and they seldom get really bad marks. They're probably about the level of an upper end Squier/MIM Fender, but with inferior pickups and hardware. As for the price difference, they're charging more for the first one you linked because its ash as opposed to alder. Neither bass is really better or worse then each other, they just use different wood, and one has block inlays which may or may not be a plus for you depending on your taste.

As for pups, Duncan QPs are a great general go-to pickup replacement. Whether other pickups sound better or worse is subjective, is there any kind of tone you're going for in particular?

Sorry but I have to say this. How can these be on par with higher end Squiers or MIM Fenders if they have inferior pups and hardware?

Honestly I avoid these basses, Yeah the 110-150 dollar price range sounds enticing, but once you add the costs of shipping, new pick ups and hardware you would be better off buying a new Squier VM/CV or a used MIM Fender.

I have heard that these can be decent stock, but don't really start to come remotely close to higher end Squiers or MIM Fenders until you really start throwing money into them, then again there are tonnes of threads on talk-bass where people have had to do fret levels, shim the necks due to bad cuts, basically not worth all the hassles unless you want a project bass.

Oh and BTW search for Rondo instead of SX.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Alucard817
Sorry but I have to say this. How can these be on par with higher end Squiers or MIM Fenders if they have inferior pups and hardware?

Honestly I avoid these basses, Yeah the 110-150 dollar price range sounds enticing, but once you add the costs of shipping, new pick ups and hardware you would be better off buying a new Squier VM/CV or a used MIM Fender.

I have heard that these can be decent stock, but don't really start to come remotely close to higher end Squiers or MIM Fenders until you really start throwing money into them, then again there are tonnes of threads on talk-bass where people have had to do fret levels, shim the necks due to bad cuts, basically not worth all the hassles unless you want a project bass.

Oh and BTW search for Rondo instead of SX.

the bass itself is VM/MIM quality as in build quality, wood, etc.

if you bought one of these slaped a QP and gotoh 201 on there it would cost as much as a VM and sound better
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Alucard817

Sans hardware, I've heard very few complaints regarding the bodies or necks, and you'd be hard pressed to find a good alder or ash body for so cheap. They're certainly a good sight better then Squiers lower end options.

Take what I say with a grain of salt regarding SX, my experience is limited, but the ones I have had my hands on were very good for how much they cost, I've definitely played worse VMs and MIMs.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by the_perdestrian
the bass itself is VM/MIM quality as in build quality, wood, etc.

if you bought one of these slaped a QP and gotoh 201 on there it would cost as much as a VM and sound better

For a Chinese bass at 150 bucks I have a hard time believing the wood and build quality is anywhere near as good as you propose.

As far as the QP and Gotoh are conserned, it's not a valid argument considering that tone or "sound" is subjective.
Quote by Tostitos
Sans hardware, I've heard very few complaints regarding the bodies or necks, and you'd be hard pressed to find a good alder or ash body for so cheap. They're certainly a good sight better then Squiers lower end options.

Take what I say with a grain of salt regarding SX, my experience is limited, but the ones I have had my hands on were very good for how much they cost, I've definitely played worse VMs and MIMs.

I'm sure SX basses can be kick ass with the proper mods, but I can't really see how a 100-150 bass can have good wood at such a low price point. Maybe the dude at Rondo, or whoever makes SX) has connections and gets a good deal on better cuts.
Quote by FatalGear41

^ Would you rather have agathis given the choice?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
^ Would you rather have agathis given the choice?

Good point. Unless there is a high grade Agathis.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817
For a Chinese bass at 150 bucks I have a hard time believing the wood and build quality is anywhere near as good as you propose.

As far as the QP and Gotoh are conserned, it's not a valid argument considering that tone or "sound" is subjective.

I'm sure SX basses can be kick ass with the proper mods, but I can't really see how a 100-150 bass can have good wood at such a low price point. Maybe the dude at Rondo, or whoever makes SX) has connections and gets a good deal on better cuts.

if tone and sound are subjective then maybe a stock dean metalman is the best tone ever.

I used a gotoh and a QP in my example as they are popular mods for any P bass MIM squire whatever.
^ what he said, same bass different color/style. If your new to bass, can't go wrong with one, don't worry about new pickups for a while
Thanks for all the replies thus far.
As for the tone, I want something that has a good growl/bite to it. I don't want a smooth sounding bass (and I know depending on how I play will effect that), I would rather have something like a Blink-182, Rancid, Rise Against. I guess another example would be if a person were to use an Ampeg tube-top rig with a lot of drive.
Also, as far as changing the bridge to something like a Gotoh 201, what does that change in terms of sounds/etc. on a bass?
And from playing at local music stores and Guitar Centers, it seems that the higher up Squiers all had a pretty bad bow in the neck. I haven't played a MIM Fender as they were all up high and nobody seemed to want to help get one down.

Edit: As for searching for Rondo, that went straight over my head. I am doing so, and thank you for the other input as well.
Last edited by ninjatanzen at Apr 7, 2011,
he meant search for "rondo" on this site to find threads on SX basses. rondomusic being the distributor.

a seymore duncan quarter pounder (QP) would actual be a good pickup for that style of music.

changing the bridge will give you improved sustain.
Right, that's what I did. I seached for Rondo on this site and am reading other reviews. If this thread is still wrong for not having searched correctly, I can ask to have it deleted. Though I do think it is quite helpful, and I appreciate the responses.

That's what I thought, only because I had used them before. Can't be too safe though heh.

And that makes sense. With the money saved I could probably get new p-ups, bridge, and a set-up.
talkbass sings praise about sx basses. and every sx ive played i like far better than any squier ive played. all that aside i would definitely go with sx and mod it. the build quality of the bass itself is unheard of in its price range and hardware and electronics is no biggie to me personally. decent from the box but when replaced with a good duncan quarter pounder and pots and either a gotoh or bad ass bridge with some good tuners you have a hell of a bass
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by the_perdestrian
if tone and sound are subjective then maybe a stock dean metalman is the best tone ever.

I used a gotoh and a QP in my example as they are popular mods for any P bass MIM squire whatever.

Funny thing tone is. I guess thats why some people swear by jazz basses, and others swear by P basses, or Fender and Gibson.
Quote by ninjatanzen
Thanks for all the replies thus far.
As for the tone, I want something that has a good growl/bite to it. I don't want a smooth sounding bass (and I know depending on how I play will effect that), I would rather have something like a Blink-182, Rancid, Rise Against. I guess another example would be if a person were to use an Ampeg tube-top rig with a lot of drive.

then a P bass with a Quarter Pounder is right up your alley. It will give you the growl you want but it's still tame enough to give you good definition and articulation.
Quote by ninjatanzen
Also, as far as changing the bridge to something like a Gotoh 201, what does that change in terms of sounds/etc. on a bass?

Mainly sustain, but some will say they can hear a different tone with better bridges.
Quote by ninjatanzen
And from playing at local music stores and Guitar Centers, it seems that the higher up Squiers all had a pretty bad bow in the neck. I haven't played a MIM Fender as they were all up high and nobody seemed to want to help get one down.

That bow is caused by either bad set ups or no set up. Most of the basses Ive bought needed a good set up, and if you decide on an SX, it too will most likely require a set up as well.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817

Mainly sustain, but some will say they can hear a different tone with better bridges.

That bow is caused by either bad set ups or no set up. Most of the basses Ive bought needed a good set up, and if you decide on an SX, it too will most likely require a set up as well.

Hm, well I personally don't see how it could do much other than sustain the tone the rest of the bass already has. Probably hold off on that.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Is it bad to leave a bass neck bowed for too long? And if both need a set-up, I'd rather get the cheaper one and be able to afford the set-up :p
As I said thats others words about bridges not mine.

The bow is easily fixed with a few turns of a truss rod, no matter how long it sat there.

My Kramer striker 100ST (guitar) sat with a bowed neck for over 10 years with no ill effects.
I would learn how to do a set up if I were you, they are not hard (a little time consuming) but not hard. There is a damn good FAQ on this site that walks your through it step by step.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817
As I said thats others words about bridges not mine.

The bow is easily fixed with a few turns of a truss rod, no matter how long it sat there.

My Kramer striker 100ST (guitar) sat with a bowed neck for over 10 years with no ill effects.
I would learn how to do a set up if I were you, they are not hard (a little time consuming) but not hard. There is a damn good FAQ on this site that walks your through it step by step.

Right, I'm pretty bad with words tonight. I meant to say that just in general about the bridge, not as your words specifically. But that's definitely good to know it can be fixed without damage, I may have confused it with a warped neck?

I'll go find the thread for set-ups. It's probably a good idea to start on a $109 bass anyhow.
For ME... my SX P/J bass and SJM-62 guitar have both been head and shoulders above any squier (VM/CV included) instruments. I've never played a MiM Jazzmaster guitar, but i can also say from having owned a couple higher-end Fenders and G&Ls that the SX bass i have is easily on par with the MiM basses i have owned.

YMMV
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
If your not happy with the pups return them for an exchange.
Quote by FatalGear41

if it dont have the word basslines on it its not a seymour duncan and quarter pounders have bigger polepieces than other pickups
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
The only thing is, the Basslines are written on the pup covers, not them their-selves. The back has a sticker authenticating them, but it's also a sticker. Maybe I'm just freaking out, but I'll compare them to the stock pups when I get my bass.

Thanks all for the help.
Having owned both a VM and an SX bass, i can say that SX basses are on par with middle to higher level squire basses, not as good as an MIM fender but it boils down to the individual bass.

The build quality is pretty fantastic, of course there will always be the dud one in the batch and i've heard that QC has gone down since the necks stopped being orange. But, if you wanted a bass to mod then this is the one for you, good woods, good build quality, shit electronics.