I have an issue with the other guitarist. He plays rhytmn very well, but when it comes to contribution time I've always encouraged him to contribute because, were here to make music.

Usually I make the music (bassist/drum/vocalist do stuff as well)... that's just how it is. [EDIT: to clarify I only do the guitar tracks, rest is up to the other musicians what they think is best for their instrument]. Can't explain it, I became the chief song writer and it works pretty well so far.

But obviously two is better than one in my mind, it creates diversity. The problem is his ideas always involve the chromatic scale and they never sound good. They're not even true chromatics either, I'm talking exercise chromatics:

E 9-8-7-6
B ---------9-8-7-6 ... etc

It sounds really awkward. I try to be as nice as possible saying "maybe try this"? but since he doesn't practice soloing (for the lack of a better word for "playing elsewhere other than your lowest frets in the 0-12 range"), he doesn't have the techniques to make it sound good.
But he's insisting really damn hard on it
"No man, it sounds really good I like it"

So I thought "well maybe it's just me", I sent a demo tape to a few of my friends and they said "what the **** are you doing at 0:36-0:45?", which is his part. I tried sending it to my parents/brother and got the same reaction.

It just doesn't work musically

I honest to god have no issues with him contributing, and in fact each band member writes their own tracks once through the album, I just do a majority and co-write with them. This dilemma has never come up before and the band motion is really fluid for the most part; I don't know how to handle this.

What am I supposed to do? I don't want to **** up the band chemistry, but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice the music I write for the most part for shitty chromatic runs that some guy with 2 months of practice can play better. The devil's tritone is more melodic.
Its a bigger issue because everyone in the band is avoiding it. When I bring it up they just change the topic. I assume we feel bad because he's a nice guy and all.

Now I'm at a crossroads because he wants to put more chromatics everywhere. He already knows what I think of it, but is insisting on putting in more songs now.

Anyways I'm going to repeat myself,
What would you do?
: )
Either tell him everyone is against it, or write an entire crappy song and suggest he put his riff in that because it fits better.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
The way I see it you have three options:

-Be honest and tell him you hate that chromatic stuff and won't have it in the songs.
-Tell him you hate it, and that he needs to try some other stuff but let him put some chromatic bits in here and there, to appease him.
-Give up and let him add the chromatics fuckin' everywhere.

Obviously option 3 isn't the best. You really just need to talk to him about it. tell him you showed friends and family and they didn't like it. The band chemistry will be even more messed up if you keep tiptoeing around it.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by sloppyjoe24
Either tell him everyone is against it, or write an entire crappy song and suggest he put his riff in that because it fits better.

No one in the band besides me want to admit to the first part, or from the devil's advocate view: none of them will deny it either.

This probably sucks more for me because bands I've been in break up in the past when everyone starts disagreeing with each other and fighting over things.

Lol @ option #2

@robertito696
Good points
: )
Intervention?

Seriously though, talk to other guys one-on-one, get their honest opinion on it. If they agree that guitarist's technique is not very good, confront him with your opinion backed up by other band members.
Maybe explain to him why the chromatics sound stupid, if you can cover your theory knowledge. Especially if he has weak theory knowledge, he'll probably nod off and agree with you after you start explaining what scale would be appropriate there and why.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Maybe take this opportunity to teach him the major and minor scales, then tell him that's all he can ever use when making parts.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
What kind of music do you play?

or you can try to listen to some slayer and see how they deal with it
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Upload the solo hahaha.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
Upload the solo hahaha.

Agreed.

Also, Ckj10000, we all registered to make one post, and look where we are now.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
IMO just be honest with him, explain (using theory) why it sounds "off". Don't just go with the approach of nobody likes it. That makes it personal. Keep it objective. Make constructive criticism. Ask him to keep writing , and explain why what he has written just doesn't work with what the band is producing as a whole. Just avoid making it personal, and encourage him to continue trying. Who knows maybe one day he will come up with something really awesome.

The most important part is to criticize the subject not the person. I feel that most band break ups and disagreements in general occur because the person was criticized not the actual music.

Also try to see it from his point of view. Maybe he feels he needs to contribute more, help him do this. Show him how you do it, and let him vibe with that for a bit. Or maybe, help him implement chromatics that don't sound off. That way he feels like he is contributing and your band's music as a whole improves.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Dangertux at Apr 7, 2011,
Another vote for constructive confrontation. It will help him be a man and be a better person when facing REAL challenges in life other than "your chromatic solo runs sound bad in the context of our song".

Outside of that, find a 3rd party friend who has the balls to tell it like it is. Bring them to practice or have them listen to the recordings with guitarist and lay it on the line: "Dude, whatever you are playing there, it needs to stop. It's not working."

Unfortunately, you and band will eventually have to man up on how you feel when the guitarist is seeking your support on how "that guy was full of shit!".

You might as well just pull the band-aid off now so you guys can move forward in a positive direction.

He'll either get over it, or he won't. Over time all of your band will learn that criticism isn't the end of the world, and you have yet to see the worst of it. Might as well get it out of the way now.

Try playing a bar gig or a wedding reception where only 3 people stick around to listen to your songs, probably because they were too drunk or lazy to move.... Your skin will get incredibly thick real soon.