So, rather than the age old "SD Blackouts or EMGs?" question, I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the x line of pickups that EMG is now offering. Are they better than blackouts, better than regular EMGs, or do they suck? I'm thinking about putting actives in a guitar, and I've never seen the x line pickups before, so I don't know how new they are or anything.
So, if anyone has prior experience with them, what do you think about them?
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
If I have read correctly, they're supposed to be more "Organic" than the regular EMG's. They're like 18v modded EMG's, I guess
Quote by ChucklesMginty
According to Tosin Abasi they're more 'well balanced.' And the strings don't have to fight each other for volume or something along those lines. But he's playing an 8 string so I can see that being more of an issue for him than us 6 strings.

Us mere mortals with only 6/7 strings.....
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Us mere mortals with only 6/7 strings.....

Very true, I see Tosin as a God

But same goes for Misha Mansoor, Chris Letchford, and Travis Levrier.. So
I'm uploading a video now of the EMG 81 and 81x pickups but they are on different guitars... but maybe it'll help you.
emg x series are way better than the regular emgs. now whether they are better than blackouts is all personal opinion.
I think it depends what you are planning to use it for. I think the EMG X (similar to 18v mod) sounds good for cleans, but I despise them when playing distorted. The EMG 81 is already a bright pickup, so adding more headroom to it just makes it even more shrill. The 85 is meant to be a darker/warmer sounding pickup, so by X-ing it or 18v-ing it it ends up just sounding more sharp like the 81. But everyone hails it like it's the second coming I haven't tried the X/18 on the 60 or 60A though.
Meh. I don't see the point of them, or Blackouts. If you want a more "organic" sounding pickup, why are you using actives in the first place?

And, as infuriating as it is, I wouldn't say they're "better" than anything. Different for sure, but there's always going to be opinions, and what is "better" for you, we have no way of knowing...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I thought the X's were passives?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
just get regular active emg's and mod em to 18 volts, they saound about the same as the x series and can usualyl be found a little cheaper
thats what i do in all my guitars
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Offworld92
Meh. I don't see the point of them, or Blackouts. If you want a more "organic" sounding pickup, why are you using actives in the first place?

Because some people want actives to give them low noise, high output, and a flatter frequency response, not because they want a sterile sounding pickup. The X's and Blackouts are also more dynamic.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Actives will almost always be quieter than passives of similar output. The coils themselves are very weak, so they don't pick up as much noise.
Quote by littlephil
Because some people want actives to give them low noise, high output, and a flatter frequency response, not because they want a sterile sounding pickup. The X's and Blackouts are also more dynamic.

That's a good point. Maybe I'll try some out for myself.

I usually don't consider noise or EQ a factor, because my rig is gated to hell, and I have 2 EQ's in my loop.

I like the idea of having more dynamics a lot though. I just love the sharp edge that normal EMG's have. In my mind I can't see EMG's with more headroom retaining that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X