Right now I have a Vox VT50 and I was looking to upgrade to something that could handle high gain a little better. My budget is the $500 range give or take 200. I've been looking at the ht series by Blackstar as well as the Peavey Bandit, and 6505 combo. Im perfectly fine with throwing a boost in front of the amp if I need to, but I still want a solid tone. The thing is, some of the amps Ive seen like the 6505 are noisy at higher drive levels. The other trade off ive seen is that the cleans suffer. Is there an amp that sounds great at clean and overdriven tones and doesn't give off a lot of noise? Keep in mind im playing at mostly bedroom levels, but it would help if the amp could play over a drummer and second guitarist if i need it to.

Amp suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Everyone and their brother will tell you to get a 6505+ combo, but since you're playing at bedroom levels you could do with a Blackstar HT-5 which will fall under your $500 budget.
yeah Ive heard a lot of people ranting about the 6505 but I think Blackstars a little underrated. Apparently they're tone machines
I don't know how the cleans are on it, but a little bit of chorus and reverb might liven them up a little if need be. You'll have money left over for a pedal or two, especially if you go used.
Used peavey 5150/6505 2x12 combo dont get the 1x12 combo.
Or used peavey ultra or xxx
Better than a blackstar especially the ht-5 which wont do metal without a boost, your vt probly does metal better than the ht-5.

EDIT- I use a 50 all tube amp at low volumes regularly no problem, and imo I get better tone than I ever could with my old advt.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Apr 6, 2011,
With high-gain comes noise. You're going to have to break down and shell out some cash for a Noise Suppressor (Commence the flood of "Buy an ISP Decimator" suggestions!), so you may as well resign yourself to it. That having been said, the Blackstar HT-Venue amps are probably very good choices for what you want to do.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The HT5 is a serious little amp. I think its a touch overpriced, but its also apparently very loud for 5 watts. If you can find the head used, and a 1x12 cab in your budget, get it. The combo isn't worth it with an 8 inch garbage speaker that wont sound good at higher volumes.
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX/JSX
Bugera 6262/333
Jet City 20 watt with boost
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
The 6505 would be your best bet... The HT-1 and 5 aren't meant for gigging and playing over a drummer lol. Loud enough for practice and recording but not for playing in a band.

The HT Venues might be your best bet from the blackstars, but quite possibly out of your price range. Club 40 is probably a safe choice in terms of loudness. They are a bit pricier though.

The 6505 has master volume I believe and is a popular metal amp. The bandit is Solid State I believe, 6505 would be a better bet. Cleans are nothing special I've heard, but not that bad.

However, I'm playing at home levels for now so I just ordered a cheap little HT-1 tone machine. When I start playing in a band I will definitely have to get something like the HT-C40 or 6505+ combo or something.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by Helicopters!
Everyone and their brother will tell you to get a 6505+ combo, but since you're playing at bedroom levels you could do with a Blackstar HT-5 which will fall under your $500 budget.

+1. I have the 5150 half stack but at home I crank the HT5 with or without a boost, depending on what I'm playing.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
The HT5 is a serious little amp. I think its a touch overpriced, but its also apparently very loud for 5 watts. If you can find the head used, and a 1x12 cab in your budget, get it. The combo isn't worth it with an 8 inch garbage speaker that wont sound good at higher volumes.

It's the HT1 that has the 8" speaker, but the non reverb combo is cheaper than the head anyway. The speaker in the HT-5 is better.

I don't quite think replacing your Vox with a 5w practice amp could be considered an upgrade though; You'd probably replace it with a smaller practice rig and a live/jam rig to meet all your needs.
yeah the ht40's a beast. it has some kind of gain boost apparently that the smaller models dont have. If i could find one used in my range i would definitely buy it
Check out the Baron Snott Watt, there are threads on here about it. And sound clips as well.

Best high gain bedroom amp EVER!!!! and its like $650 new i think
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
There's a reason the 6505+ gets recommended for metal players.

I recently bought a new amp to replace my Marshall MG100 halfstack. I wanted something smaller, but tube-driven and high in gain, to improve my tone.

The two amps I looked at were the 6505+ 112 and the Blackstar HT Club 40. I ultimately went with the 6505+ and couldn't be happier. I will say that the HT 40 definitely had better cleans, and probably better reverb as well. It also had a "super-saturated lead" switch to get you into high-gain territories. The lower models of the Blackstar line don't have this - so you really can't compare it to the HT 20, for example.

I actually played the HT 20 and the HT 40 for about an hour each in the store, lol. The HT 20 simply didn't have enough gain for my tastes. Sounded great for heavy rock and blues though! The 40, with the extra switch, definitely could get a modern metal tone.

But I had also tried a 6505+ head/cabinet in another store, and was blown away by the lead channel. So in the end, I ordered a 6505+ 112 (didn't actually see one or play it first.) When I recieved it, I was actually kind of shocked at how big it was. It is definitely the biggest 112 combo amp I've ever seen - so that might be something you want to take into consideration - the HT 40 is smaller. I can't imagine how big and heavy a 6505+ 212 would be - probably rediculous. Anyway, my 6505+ is just plain scary on the lead channel. It sounds just fine at "bedroom" levels, I normally play with the volume on 2 and it's just about right. 3 improves the tone a little, and is very loud. I would be confident gigging with this amp, and maybe having to turn it down so as not to drown out the drummer. It blows my old "Marshall" out of the water. I'd also have to say that it beats the HT 40 in overall "metal brutality."

Additionally, the rhythm channel (the clean channel) has a "crunch" switch that gives me awesome overdrive tones. I've actually been playing with that quite a bit lately - it just sounds amazing for blues/rock/hard-rock. The cleans are not the best, but I've found that if I use the neck pickup, add some reverb, and use a soft picking style it sounds decently warm and clear. Cleans are not why I chose this amp, however. Hope that helps you!
Last edited by KailM at Apr 7, 2011,
ill definitely check out the Baron. but back to the ht-5, do you guys think it would better to get the ht-5 head and cab mini half stack? ive only ever had combos so i dont have experience with stacks. Like would it be suitable for my needs if i got the half and then at a later period got another cab if i needed it for stage use? does it even get any louder if i add a cab? lol im a total noob when it comes to that stuff

Here it is:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-5-Series-HT-5H-and-HT-110-Guitar-Mini-Half-Stack-489746-i1435429.gc

Theres also the full stack on guitarcenters website
Don't buy the HT-5 thinking it will be cool to have a stack. It's still a 5-watter, and don't let stack-factor influence your decision. If its sound is what you want - get it.

The 6505+ is a cool amp if all you want is metal. It does 1 sound, better than any other amp. So remember that. In addition, its essentially a 'pro-quality' amp, as many professionals use it.
KailM that definitely helps. Im new to the world of high gain amps because Ive never owned one and im glad you cleared up the 6505. Hows the noise on it? Some demos ive seen on youtube have some hiss in the background. And the thing is, im not looking for unbelievable clean jazz tones anyway. But on the other hand i dont want them to sound like crap lol i just want a faithful reproduction of my clean tone.
Yeah im definitely just trying to find something of good quality that can handle cleans and heavy distortion solidly. From what ive read online, its usually either one or the other. Thats why i was considering the ht series (combo or stack) and throwing a boost in front of it.

(for OceansBetweenUS)
Last edited by spitfire915 at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

The 6505+ is a cool amp if all you want is metal. It does 1 sound, better than any other amp.

I disagree with this - it sounds amazing for lighter rock/bluesy leads as well. (Think AC/DC tone, etc.) I have actually been playing more of that stuff lately even though I'm primarily an 'extreme' metal player haha. The pinch harmonics I can get on the rhythm channel w/ the 'crunch' switch activated are out of this world. And it's fairly easy to hold a lead note and it will slowly build into controllable feedback. Part of it might be that I've been playing for a long time and it comes down to technique, and part of it might be that it's my first tube amp - but it sounds great to me!

But I agree on the clean tones - they're not that great, but useable. I plan to add a chorus pedal to mine to add a little life to the cleans. But most of the cleans I play are just soft arpeggios in the middle of thrash/black/death metal riffs. If I played jazz or blues with a clean tone, I'd definitely have a different amp for that.
Quote by spitfire915
KailM that definitely helps. Im new to the world of high gain amps because Ive never owned one and im glad you cleared up the 6505. Hows the noise on it? Some demos ive seen on youtube have some hiss in the background. And the thing is, im not looking for unbelievable clean jazz tones anyway. But on the other hand i dont want them to sound like crap lol i just want a faithful reproduction of my clean tone.

Mine really isn't too noisy, and I usually have the gain cranked pretty high on the lead channel. It does start to feedback pretty quickly if you have it cranked, but that's what the volume knobs on your guitar are for. I would really suggest trying both the 6505+ and a Blackstar HT 40. Both are great for metal, but the 6505 is better, in my opinion. Both are also great for bluesy/rock/hardrock. And the cleans really depend on your tastes. I like a little "dirtyness" to my cleans, so the 6505 is just fine for me.
I agree on the blues stuff, but ideally, you'd also want a very clean clean channel for that stuff as well, at least as an option. which it doesn't have - so its not the most versatile.

EDIT: I also think a huge part of this is going out to try these amps yourself. When I was amp shopping I wanted a good hi-gain amp w/ good cleans on a budget. Everyone recommended the 6505+, and I really built it up to being the amp I wanted, until I tracked one down and tried it and was a little disappointed with its sounds. So go out and play any/all amps you can in your price range.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 7, 2011,
Raise your budget to the 600-800 dollar range and you should be able to snag a mesa rectoverb, great cleans and brutal lead ch.
Search craigslist and you should easily find a rectoverb for $800 and under, you might have to talk the person selling it into shipping if its not local though, also check ebay thats where I bought my rov for under $700.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by spitfire915
ill definitely check out the Baron. but back to the ht-5, do you guys think it would better to get the ht-5 head and cab mini half stack? ive only ever had combos so i dont have experience with stacks. Like would it be suitable for my needs if i got the half and then at a later period got another cab if i needed it for stage use? does it even get any louder if i add a cab? lol im a total noob when it comes to that stuff

Here it is:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-5-Series-HT-5H-and-HT-110-Guitar-Mini-Half-Stack-489746-i1435429.gc

Theres also the full stack on guitarcenters website

Stage use? I don't know that I'd use my HT5 for stage use unless I was going to mic it up. Its loud, but it ain't THAT loud. I've driven my 4x12 with it and its louder than just its built in speaker, but like someone else commented, its still just 5 watts.
just wanted to give you guys an update. i just bought an ht-20 used off ebay in mint condition for 400 (200 less than retail). Im gonna use the extra money to get an overdrive boost which should sound great with the emgs in my schecter. Speaking of which, does anybody have any recommendations as to a great boost to get? lol
Quote by spitfire915
just wanted to give you guys an update. i just bought an ht-20 used off ebay in mint condition for 400 (200 less than retail). Im gonna use the extra money to get an overdrive boost which should sound great with the emgs in my schecter. Speaking of which, does anybody have any recommendations as to a great boost to get? lol

Tubescreamers are always good otherwise I like the SHO for boost