So GG&A, i hate my amp. I have a marshall MG30, and i hate the tone. I play electric acoustically to get some toanz. Anyhow. i really want tone like Hendrix (blues or voodoo child esque) or Stevie Ray Vaughan or Buddy Guy(general Overdriven Blues tone) , but i also want to play some Zeppelin and mid-gain stuff. Can you recommend me an amp for this stuff?
The problem is though, i also like british sounding overdrive and Vox cleans. can you recommend me an amp for this stuff?

New or Used
closest city NYC
Budget, IDK but >$1000
guitar- Mexican HSS strat
Mostly home use, but slight possibility of jam session
Peavey Classic 30, a tubescreamer and a fuzz pedal would do it all for well under $1000, especially if you go used.
Quote by Frank_Black
Peavey Classic 30, a tubescreamer and a fuzz pedal would do it all for well under $1000, especially if you go used.

+ over 9000

except I think that that amp is very American-voiced; maybe TS should look into a Vox AC15 CC2 as well.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Helicopters!
+ over 9000

except I think that that amp is very American-voiced; maybe TS should look into a Vox AC15 CC2 as well.

tbh i was looking at a Vox ac15, but can it do Hendrix with a fuzz pedal? i didnt get to play on it that long. it sounded great but i found 2 issues- 1 its freaking heavy and 2 its huge lol
im looking for all kinds of options and im definitely going to try out plenty of amps n stuff before i buy anything
I'd be willing to bed that with the right EQing and a good fuzz you can get Hendrix tones out of it. Look for a Hendrix Fuzz Face or a Big Muff; the former is designed to sound like his tone and I've read that he used a prototype of the latter shortly before his death. As for the size/weight issues, you can always get some casters for it.
Quote by Frank_Black

This, but also swap the stock preamp tubes with a 5751 in the V1 socket and 2 Tung-Sol 12AX7s in the V2 and V3 socket. This will enhance the clarity and give you that full, crisp sound needed for stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughn (the stock preamp tubes sound muffled and thuddy).

Also, if you have money left over, swap the speaker out with either a Weber Silver Bell or Blue Dog. (both recommended by UG user gregs1020) My dad put the 10" equivalents of both into his Delta Blues (Classic 30 circuit but 2x10 or 1x15 speaker layout), and it really made a difference in tone quality.

Also, for an overdrive pedal, look into the Fulltone Plimsol.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
This, but also swap the stock preamp tubes with a 5751 in the V1 socket and 2 Tung-Sol 12AX7s in the V2 and V3 socket. This will enhance the clarity and give you that full, crisp sound needed for stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughn (the stock preamp tubes sound muffled and thuddy).

Also, if you have money left over, swap the speaker out with either a Weber Silver Bell or Blue Dog. (both recommended by UG user gregs1020) My dad put the 10" equivalents of both into his Delta Blues (Classic 30 circuit but 2x10 or 1x15 speaker layout), and it really made a difference in tone quality.

Also, for an overdrive pedal, look into the Fulltone Plimsol.

wut

im a toob noob i dont know what slots those are, or where to get these tubes, or
Quote by italiarlz135
wut

im a toob noob i dont know what slots those are, or where to get these tubes, or

Forgive me for any confusion given.

The amp will sound fine out of the box, and give you the sound you wish to achieve, but if you ever find it sounding too muffled and thuddy, print out my above post, take it and your amp to a nearby tech and say "this is what I want done to my amp, please".

You can buy tubes on Musicians Friend. They sell them for a reasonable price. Though before doing any modifications I suggest doing research or getting a tech to do it for you if you have limited experience, just so you don't hurt your amp or yourself.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Apr 6, 2011,
wut

If I can figure out how to change the tubes, anyone can. It's really as easy as old one's out, pop the new ones in. Though you probably won't have to, the difference going from solid-state modellor to real tubez will already be so mind-blowingly full of tone.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I play a Peavey Delta Blues with a 15' speaker, (Same circuit as the classic, just with the aforementioned speaker and a tremolo circuit) and the exact same styles as you (Electric blues, Zeppelin, Hendrix) and it does a GREAT job. The cleans are brilliantly thick and warm, and it loves pedals.
That said, the voxac15 might be better if you aren't currently gigging (Quieter?), though I don't think you'll be able to get great breakup out of either at bedroom levels, that's what the OD pedal's for.

EDIT: I'd personally recommend the Peavey as I've only played the Vox Ac30, not the 15.
Last edited by Frank_Black at Apr 7, 2011,
Generally a decent fuzz, neck single coil pickup and an amp with nice clean tone will give you Hendrix with some EQ tweaking. I agree with Ian though, best thing I did to my blues jnr was swap out the sovtek tubes and whack in some JJ's and very soon I'll be getting some tung sols.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte