So, I've got a chance to get a Marshall Mode Four head for £180, I was just wondering whether this is a good deal or not and what you guys think of them. How well do they do high-gain sounds, what'd be a good cab to go with it, etc? Cheers.
I know it's a great deal, yeah, just want to know if anyone on here has owned one and what they think of it, since I can't go and try it and no shops near me have one I can try.
The Marshall Mode Four is a real love-it-or-hate-it amplifier. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground when it comes to opinions about it. I bought one years ago because I got it cheap and I liked the sounds I could get from it (it does very good heavy tones), and it hasn't let me down. The Mode Four is a hybrid, so it definitely sounds better when you turn it up loud. This is a real problem, though, as it is a 350-watt amplifier. You might inadvertently euthanize the old people in your neighborhood - not that this would be a deal-breaker, mind you.

For that price, I'd definitely grab it. It takes more tweaking than a lot of amps, but it can give you a lot of good tones. Ignore the hate for the SS power amp and let your ears decide.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by FatalGear41
The Marshall Mode Four is a real love-it-or-hate-it amplifier. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground when it comes to opinions about it. I bought one years ago because I got it cheap and I liked the sounds I could get from it (it does very good heavy tones), and it hasn't let me down. The Mode Four is a hybrid, so it definitely sounds better when you turn it up loud. This is a real problem, though, as it is a 350-watt amplifier. You might inadvertently euthanize the old people in your neighborhood - not that this would be a deal-breaker, mind you.

For that price, I'd definitely grab it. It takes more tweaking than a lot of amps, but it can give you a lot of good tones. Ignore the hate for the SS power amp and let your ears decide.

If it has a ss power amp, then only turning up the preamp volume will make it sound better. Even then it apparently only has 1 preamp tube per "amp." That's not going to give you true tube tone.

However at the price it's going for it's a steal. I heard a guitarist playing one at a local show and it sounded decent, so for that price I'd definitely get it.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I'm definitely going to get this then, someone else on another forum mentioned it does downtuned metal really well and because of the wattage, it's cleans have tons of headroom which is exactly what I'm after.
what is it rated at for peak wattage? that's key for this amp actually. you don't want speaker break up.
If you want a Harley Benton cab, pick the one with Vintage 30s installed. Costs more, but it's worth it. No buying cabs with crappy speakers mister. If all you can afford is a crappy 4x12", opt for a good 2x12" instead.
Quote by TheQuailman
If you want a Harley Benton cab, pick the one with Vintage 30s installed. Costs more, but it's worth it. No buying cabs with crappy speakers mister. If all you can afford is a crappy 4x12", opt for a good 2x12" instead.

that would be a 120 2x12 watt cab for a 350 watt head?
Oopsie, forgot about the power-rating. Well, don't turn it up too loud then.

Fine. Find an empty 2x12", install Eminence Delta Pros.