So, anyone every scalloped a rosewood fretboard.

I picked up a 1987 BC Rich ST off Craigslist a few weeks ago and my plans are just well, I dunno yet. Modify it. Install a TOM bridge probably.

Just curious if anyone has ever scalloped a rosewood fretboard.
All the scalloping I've ever seen is on a maple.

I'm not asking how, just if its been done by anyone here with any success.

Thanks.
One of my teachers scalloped a rosewood board on one of his strats. It worked pretty well. I really enjoy playing it and it didn't bottom out into the maple if that worried you.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yup, I scalloped the neck on my old squier. I took a bunch of masking tape and covered all the frets with a couple layers, and then took a bunch of sandpaper to the fretboard. I did it over the course of a couple of weeks, whenever I had free time, because i didn't have an electric sander or the willpower to do the same thing for more than an hour or two. But it was worth it, cause it feels sooo cool and plays really well.
My first time was rosewood, then on maple. It's actually a bit easier on rosewood, IMO.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Yes, very possible. It will go much quicker than maple so be careful and take your time.
Did my own Epiphone LP.

Tape the frets off very carefully. Don't do what I did and lay down masking tape across and then exacto knife it away; unless you have a very steady hand and/or are doing complete scalloping (I did a partial scallop 9-15ish and then a full scallop the rest of the way), odds are you'll leave a nasty exacto scar at some point. Instead, do this:

\./

where the . is the fret. Basically, stick the tape tangent to the fret where the fret meets the board.

As others said, it goes fairly quickly. Just take your time and you'll be fine
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Cool thanks all.
Taking time is not usually an issue with me. I'm really anal about my work being as close to perfect as possible. Took me forever to build my 2x12 cab.

RebuildIt, that looks nice. Sweet Epi too.

I only paid $45 for the guitar so if I mess up, no big deal other than me getting pissed at myself for ****ing up

I will keep progress of my work and post the progress of the entire job.
I'm planning on doing far more than just the scalloping.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 7, 2011,
Something that looks awesome (what I did with my scallop):

.../
../
./
/
| (full scallop after this)

Start by barely scalloping under the high e at like 9ish. Get the idea? It looks cool *and* it's functional-ish.

Be sure to post pictures of your scalloping endeavors!
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Quote by CodeMonk

I only paid $45 for the guitar so if I mess up, no big deal other than me getting pissed at myself for ****ing up

Perfect!