Page 1 of 2
Sorry i dont know where to put this but since im always lurking this forum ill post it here XD.

Im looking to get the tony iommi tone. I already have half the equation (tone done to zero neck/both pickups, passive pickups, tube amp)

But my question is is there anything else i need?

I know he used a treble booster but with the Deltalabs Overdrive pedal which has tone, gain, and level, do i need the trebble booster? If not is there anything else i need? and dont say an SG or a better amp...you will be ignored....i do realize he used the p90 pickups in combination with the sg but i REALLY sont have the money for that now do I XD.

Thanks in advance
-Jarrod
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
you could cut the tip of your finger off
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
you could cut the tip of your finger off

lol everyone always says that XD
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
dont say an SG or a better amp...you will be ignored....i do realize he used the p90 pickups in combination with the sg but i REALLY sont have the money for that now do I XD.

Well, not to be a jerk, but you just answered your question.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well, not to be a jerk, but you just answered your question.

so there is really nothing else i can do besides get that guitar? really?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
so there is really nothing else i can do besides get that guitar? really?

I more meant the amp, but P90s really are a completely different tone than humbuckers/single coils. I don't think you need an SG per-say, but maybe some HB sized P90s would get you a bit closer.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I more meant the amp, but P90s really are a completely different tone than humbuckers/single coils. I don't think you need an SG per-say, but maybe some HB sized P90s would get you a bit closer.

okay ill look for the p90's.

My amp is perty good for sabbathy sounds. when pushing the tubes AND adding overdrive on top of that it sounds really sexy, just, somethings missing, and i dont know what. mabye my tone knobs arnt right, mabye because i done have a trebble booster...

my tones knobs are Bass:3-4 o clock Mid:7-9 o clock (technically 0 mids to 2 mids) Trebble: Cranked all the way Reverb: 12 o clock Gain:cranked.

Pedal: Gain: 2 o clock Tone: all the way to the right level: cranked

any suggestions to that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kent-Armstrong-P90-P-90-CHROME-retrofit-humbucker-/190480246873?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c5981e859#ht_986wt_1139

that pickup any good?

or this
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-PEARL-P-90-HUMBUCKER-SIZE-PICKUP-NECK-/120657846462?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item1c17c4a0be#ht_1428wt_905

These?
http://cgi.ebay.com/GFS-Dream-90-P90-fits-Humbucker-Chrome-Case-NECK-I38-/390072940503?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ad228b7d7#ht_1938wt_1022
http://cgi.ebay.com/GFS-Dream-90-P90-fits-Humbucker-Chrome-Case-BRIDGE-I39-/380142170455?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item58823d3157#ht_1938wt_1022
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Last edited by Jarrodthebobo at Apr 6, 2011,
who told you to turn the tone to 0? which sabbath tone are you shooting for as it changes through time. after the Paranoid album tony tuned down to C# so that may be part of what you are missing. on all of the early albums he uses cranked Laney amps similar to marshall plexi's for that power tube distortion sound. the other thing when you are listening to old sabbath especially is part of the sound you hear is geezers bass which is also somewhat distorted and adds to the overall heavy sound it's not all tony.
Quote by monwobobbo
who told you to turn the tone to 0? which sabbath tone are you shooting for as it changes through time. after the Paranoid album tony tuned down to C# so that may be part of what you are missing. on all of the early albums he uses cranked Laney amps similar to marshall plexi's for that power tube distortion sound. the other thing when you are listening to old sabbath especially is part of the sound you hear is geezers bass which is also somewhat distorted and adds to the overall heavy sound it's not all tony.

okay im playing NIB, iron man, war pigs, messing with children of the grave, and parnoid. im trying to find some other sabbath songs to play as well XD suggestions are welcomed!.

But what should i do for those songs?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Electric Funeral is one of my favorite sabbath tunes to play. Really easy to play too.

Last year, when my trucks stereo speaker were on their way to the graveyard, occasionally either the right or left channel would kinda die or fade out, emphasizing the other channel. And I listen to a lot of Sabbath.
I noticed Tony's playing on one channel was very distorted, like a fuzz, while the other channel would be clean. Same notes an all, just double-tracked with clean on one track and fuzz on the other.
Maybe not every Sabbath song, but enough of them that I remember it.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 6, 2011,
Can someone please help me with the above pickups?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by CodeMonk
Electric Funeral is one of my favorite sabbath tunes to play. Really easy to play too.

Last year, when my trucks stereo speaker were on their way to the graveyard, occasionally either the right or left channel would kinda die or fade out, emphasizing the other channel. And I listen to a lot of Sabbath.
I noticed Tony's playing on one channel was very distorted, like a fuzz, while the other channel would be clean. Same notes an all, just double-tracked with clean on one track and fuzz on the other.

thats a pretty neat find. odd to....never expected him with a clean channel XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
thats a pretty neat find. odd to....never expected him with a clean channel XD

Yeah, I'm a long time Sabbath fan (at 51, I've been around almost as long as Tony has), and I never really noticed either until then.
Quote by CodeMonk
Yeah, I'm a long time Sabbath fan (at 51, I've been around almost as long as Tony has), and I never really noticed either until then.

my dads listed to sabbath since he was a kid (hes 52 XD) and he heard me play paranoid, walked up into my room, and just stared. it was a proud moment XD. For pickups i believe i will go with the GFS mean 90s as they are cheap as a baby and it seem alot of people like em! i think my guitar dealer can get them in even cheaper as well....god i want these...i also want Tonny's "fingers" and brain XD

EDIT: oh great now im sad....how should i arange the the pups? should i buy 2 mean 90s or one mean 90 and one dream 90. and if i buy the mcombo what positions do they go in for sabbath to much! also i would still like some setting info if anyone has XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Last edited by Jarrodthebobo at Apr 6, 2011,
You don't have 50% of the tone if you still have 100% of the fingers.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
You don't have 50% of the tone if you still have 100% of the fingers.

lol. i would love to see tony's reaction to all the talk of his fingers xD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
It's pretty unique.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
It's pretty unique.

waht his poor mutilated fingers

lol. back on topic! please!

what would be the best tone settigs for black sabbath! i need to make sure mine are okay!!!! moocowww!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by CodeMonk
There is a settings thread here somewhere.

i know but the settings were 666 (probably as a joke) and it doesnt sounds right
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
666 could work.

That's the best way to get Slash tone from a JCM 800 - all knobs nooned.

Iommi uses a pretty balanced tone. You said you had mids at like 9oclock, turn it up to noon at least and dial back the bass a bit, that should help.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
you're using a fender frontman? that might be the start of your problem, he uses amps with british voicing. im pretty sure he's endorsed by laney currently, so I'd suggest looking into those if you have the money. You might also want to look into the tony iommi signature sg, or just buy one of the pickups in that guitar
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Toni also used banjo string s that are extreamly light try the ernie ball 8-40's( he had to because his prostetic finger tips!! He couldn't bend notes otherwise!!)
You need yourself some Laney amplification and P90's.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
okay im playing NIB, iron man, war pigs, messing with children of the grave, and parnoid. im trying to find some other sabbath songs to play as well XD suggestions are welcomed!.

But what should i do for those songs?

most of those songs (except children) are in standard tuning. all you really need is a basic distorted tone so i guess i'm confused as to why you are having such problems. you are limited by your amp and other equipment so i hope you realize that totally nailing the tone probably isn't possible. if you choose electric Funeral then you'd need a wah. tony's fingers do have a pronounced effect on his lead playing. it's almost impossible to get his hammer on / pull off sound because of the plastic tips he uses, regular fingers just don't have the hardness to get the notes to sound the same.
Quote by JAHellraiser
you're using a fender frontman? that might be the start of your problem, he uses amps with british voicing. im pretty sure he's endorsed by laney currently, so I'd suggest looking into those if you have the money. You might also want to look into the tony iommi signature sg, or just buy one of the pickups in that guitar

WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME I USE THE FRONTMAN! I HAVE 2 OTHER AMPS! i have the epihpone vlave spiecial and marshal g30cd (or something like that its solid state).

I would love a laney, but i dont have 1000 bucks to spend on the head, let alone a cab. also i thinking of getting the gfs mean 90 (p90 humbucker sized pickup) what should i combo it with? a dream 90, or another mean 90 or something else...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
quick question:

Whats better for black sabbath. the gfs mean 90 or gfs dream 90? or both? and in what posistions?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
my dads listed to sabbath since he was a kid (hes 52 XD) and he heard me play paranoid, walked up into my room, and just stared. it was a proud moment XD. For pickups i believe i will go with the GFS mean 90s as they are cheap as a baby and it seem alot of people like em! i think my guitar dealer can get them in even cheaper as well....god i want these...i also want Tonny's "fingers" and brain XD

GFS has good stuff, but the amp is more important than the pickups. And you can put a P90 in your Starcaster, but it won't have the same sound as his SG because they are different guitars. It will help still. But I doubt that you could get anything cheaper than GFS that's still good.

Isn't the Valve Special a hybrid? That means it's not a full tube amp. Most likely it has a tube preamp and a solid state power amp, and most 70s guitarists prefered power tube distortion (a cranked Marshall Plexi or any tube amp without a Gain knob) over preamp distortion (Any amp with a Gain knob, turn it up for the preamp distortion). I don't know much about that amp, maybe it's good for this kind of stuff. Don't ignore me, but my advice would be to get a new amp if your amp doesn't get close to the sound.

Also, your pedal is a distortion, a treble booster boosts the treble frequencies, and causes an increase of distortion, but isn't a distortion pedal. There is a difference. It's not just about how much gain it has. Treble boosters are cheap. Electro-Harmonix has one for $40: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Screaming-Bird-Treble-Booster-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=620033
on my http://www.guitarport.com/ the settings for sweet leaf are
amp=1968 plexi lead 100
rythym = drive=6 bass=2 middle=6 treble=9 presence=5 volume=8
cab=4x12 green 20's
gate=threshold -56db decay 75%
rat distortion =drive=15% gain=80% tone=40%
and a delay post set at 20ms 35% mix
but i have to agree after plyimg it with black sabath backing track as well as by itself the bass is adding to the heavyness to his sound at least on vol 4
Quote by dlowe102
but i have to agree after plyimg it with black sabath backing track as well as by itself the bass is adding to the heavyness to his sound at least on vol 4

That's a big part of why his sound is so big.
Quote by plexi123
GFS has good stuff, but the amp is more important than the pickups. And you can put a P90 in your Starcaster, but it won't have the same sound as his SG because they are different guitars. It will help still. But I doubt that you could get anything cheaper than GFS that's still good.

Isn't the Valve Special a hybrid? That means it's not a full tube amp. Most likely it has a tube preamp and a solid state power amp, and most 70s guitarists prefered power tube distortion (a cranked Marshall Plexi or any tube amp without a Gain knob) over preamp distortion (Any amp with a Gain knob, turn it up for the preamp distortion). I don't know much about that amp, maybe it's good for this kind of stuff. Don't ignore me, but my advice would be to get a new amp if your amp doesn't get close to the sound.

Also, your pedal is a distortion, a treble booster boosts the treble frequencies, and causes an increase of distortion, but isn't a distortion pedal. There is a difference. It's not just about how much gain it has. Treble boosters are cheap. Electro-Harmonix has one for $40: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Screaming-Bird-Treble-Booster-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=620033

GIR! I DONT USE THE STRATOCASTER EITHER! I USE THE ESP! STOP LOOKING AT MY SHITTY EQUITMENNT! lol. the pedal is an od btw. My amp is a full on tube, not a hybrid. i know as i have looked on the inside and seen the power tube along with the 2 preamps. just look up what tubes for epiphone valve special and youll see an ins=truction booklet pdf that explains what it runs on.

ALSO, dont tube amps with a gain just mean volume? thats how it works for mine, the louder the master the louder the amp, the louder the volume/gain the louder/more distorted the amp is.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by dlowe102
on my http://www.guitarport.com/ the settings for sweet leaf are
amp=1968 plexi lead 100
rythym = drive=6 bass=2 middle=6 treble=9 presence=5 volume=8
cab=4x12 green 20's
gate=threshold -56db decay 75%
rat distortion =drive=15% gain=80% tone=40%
and a delay post set at 20ms 35% mix

question:

is drive the same as gain? or is volume gain? or is it the same? im gonna try the settings btw and see what i come out with. if i find something good ill come back and tell yall.

Now on my knobs on my guitar, what do i need to do?

Roll off the tone knob? roll of volume? i know its rythm pickup but can i use both (e.i middle selection?)
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
right now i have my amp set to treble:0 mid:full Bass:full Gain:8.5 REverb:4

Pedal: Tone: cranked Gain:6 level:cranked

Rythm pickup with tone rolled off.

thats sounds pretty good to me. gotta upload a vid so the tonemaster can hear it.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
GIR! I DONT USE THE STRATOCASTER EITHER! I USE THE ESP! STOP LOOKING AT MY SHITTY EQUITMENNT! lol. the pedal is an od btw. My amp is a full on tube, not a hybrid. i know as i have looked on the inside and seen the power tube along with the 2 preamps. just look up what tubes for epiphone valve special and youll see an ins=truction booklet pdf that explains what it runs on.

ALSO, dont tube amps with a gain just mean volume? thats how it works for mine, the louder the master the louder the amp, the louder the volume/gain the louder/more distorted the amp is.

Why did you get so mad at that? I assumed that was the guitar you used because that was the first on your list. If you don't want us to look at it, take it off! And overdrive is the same as distortion. Most pedal companies just say distortion has more gain than overdrive to have an easier way to name pedals. It means the exact same thing.

Why is the Valve Special listed under the hybrid amps on Musician's Friend? No, gain is gain. Volume is volume. But usually the gain knob controls preamp volume, and more volume pushes the tubes harder and overdrives them. The volume knob controls the power amps volume, and again more volume makes distortion. Some people prefer preamp tube distortion, some power tube.
Quote by plexi123
Why did you get so mad at that? I assumed that was the guitar you used because that was the first on your list. If you don't want us to look at it, take it off! And overdrive is the same as distortion. Most pedal companies just say distortion has more gain than overdrive to have an easier way to name pedals. It means the exact same thing.

Why is the Valve Special listed under the hybrid amps on Musician's Friend? No, gain is gain. Volume is volume. But usually the gain knob controls preamp volume, and more volume pushes the tubes harder and overdrives them. The volume knob controls the power amps volume, and again more volume makes distortion. Some people prefer preamp tube distortion, some power tube.

i wasnt mad, it twas a joke XD. I have no clue why the valve special is listed udner the hybrids as it has 3 tubes :el84, and 2 12ax7s. so mabye newer models are hybrids? i dont know...

quated off another site
"A simple way to understand Gain vs Volume is this....Gain=input volume, and Volume=output volume. That's why they say to set your gain as high as possible without it distorting so you can get as much of the good sound possible. Otherwise if it's a really low gain and high volume you pick up the ambeint noise and you get "hum" or "hiss"."
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
i wasnt mad, it twas a joke XD. I have no clue why the valve special is listed udner the hybrids as it has 3 tubes :el84, and 2 12ax7s. so mabye newer models are hybrids? i dont know...

quated off another site
"A simple way to understand Gain vs Volume is this....Gain=input volume, and Volume=output volume. That's why they say to set your gain as high as possible without it distorting so you can get as much of the good sound possible. Otherwise if it's a really low gain and high volume you pick up the ambeint noise and you get "hum" or "hiss"."

dunno where you got this but ts not really correct. if you turn up your gain you get distortion which in this case is what you want. yes as the gain increases you do get some noise but that is just the nature of the beast and not totally avoidable. Treble on 0? dude you are killing your sound and tony definitely has treble in his sound. what are yo using to push your epi amp?
Page 1 of 2