Page 1 of 2
Im gonna make a top 25 youtube video on the first heavy metal songs. Lookingfor blues psychedelic and hard rock of the late sixties, please dont gimme the trooper or master of puppets
Quote by satinsoven
Im gonna make a top 25 youtube video on the first heavy metal songs. Lookingfor blues psychedelic and hard rock of the late sixties, please dont gimme the trooper or master of puppets

What about some early metal bands?
In the late 60s?
Cream, and Led Zeppelin (although that's very late 60s)

However. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest are really where it happened.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
"Helter Skelter" immediately comes to mind. Laid the foundation for later stoner/sludge sounds, and had the basic groundwork for loads of other heavy rock and metal genres.

Dem drumssss...... So simple, but so heavy. Not to mention the guitar tone.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
psh fuck Helter Skelter, I Want You (She's So Heavy) has that awesome proto-doom riffing
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
The Beatles' Helter Skelter and also the 1975 album "Metal Machine Music" by Lou Reed could be seen as an early form of heavy metal.
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Quote by romencer17
psh fuck Helter Skelter, I Want You (She's So Heavy) has that awesome proto-doom riffing

Fuck yes. Those two songs influenced 98% of the metal I cherish.

"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is a monster track. Not only proto-doom, but also proto-experimental/ambient/atmospheric styles. That rushing, swirling, wind sound is just fantastic. How they dreamed that track up is beyond me.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20
Fuck yes. Those two songs influenced 98% of the metal I cherish.

"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is a monster track. Not only proto-doom, but also proto-experimental/ambient/atmospheric styles. That rushing, swirling, wind sound is just fantastic. How they dreamed that track up is beyond me.

Drugs.
Quote by Magero
Drugs.

Well, duh.

But it's a lot more than that, I'm sure.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by genghisgandhi
A lot more drugs.

This.
Probably served in a cocktail glass blown from drugs, on a plate made of drugs, in a house made of drugs.
I LOVE THIS SHIT

Sir Lord Baltimore, Buffalo, Cain, Lucifer's Friend, Night Sun and Iron Claw are some bands definitely worth checking out
i am the moonstar
Black Sabbath - N.I.B

IMO The heaviest song in existence before the release of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Not to derail your thread, but a similar idea involving a documentary around that era would be deadly. I always enjoy watching interviews/docs about bands from the early 70s, its funny watching men in their 60s trying to piece together drug-addled memory jigsaw pieces.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
If you don't include Venom, I will... I don't even know yet. I'll think of what I will do in the morning.
..I was watching my death.
Flower Travellin' Band, everyone
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Deep Purple
My man Blackmore had contributed to many styles of metal.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
Deep Purple
My man Blackmore had contributed to many styles of metal.

+1,000,000
Im looking for specific songs, and lets try to keep this late sixties early seventies- black sabbath is as late as i wannago. Im thinking of cream, jeff beck, the who, stooges, mc5 , yardbirds...
Quote by The Wildchild
Flower Travellin' Band, everyone

damn straight.

Gonna order a copy of Satori next week.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by satinsoven
Im looking for specific songs, and lets try to keep this late sixties early seventies- black sabbath is as late as i wannago. Im thinking of cream, jeff beck, the who, stooges, mc5 , yardbirds...

Stop being a pussy and listen to whole albums
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Stone cold crazy.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by satinsoven

If you're thinking of specific stuff and are too stubborn to try the suggestions...

Why are you asking for anything, you mentally motionless son of a brick wall?
Philosophy > Life
Quote by Penisaur
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
This.

And frankly Black Sabbath.

Into the Void, Sweet Leaf, Wizard, Black Sabbath, Electric Funeral, Paranoid. Everything

The Who were also kind of Punkish which aided in Thrash and Black Metal

I also agree with Helter Skelter and I want You
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by The Wildchild
Stop being a pussy and listen to whole albums

I do listen to whole albums, i have the whole stooges discography on my ipod for one thing. Im already familiar with these bands, i just want some outside opinions. Im surprised no one mentioned hendrix or iron butterfly yet...
Quote by MoogleRancha
If you're thinking of specific stuff and are too stubborn to try the suggestions...

Why are you asking for anything, you mentally motionless son of a brick wall?

Saxo-Walrus

Led Zeppelin - The Battle of Evermore. Not in the sense of being really heavy, but alot of the lyrical themes and atmosphere are similar to alot of metal. like the epic fantasy/mythology related stuff.
Also, Immigrant Song could be seen as sort of proto-viking metal haha.
LastFM

The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold
Page 1 of 2