The current strings that are on my bass are nearing the end of their third year. They don't seem like they're about to break yet, but should I restring it anyways?
Quote by diofan88
You already have an alcohol problem: The problem being, you lack alcohol

Quote by laid-to-waste
no, this is the first time i've ever rubbed another man's nipple in a jacuzzi

it was horrible
Well if they are rounds then yes, you should. If they are flats you probably don't have to, but it wouldn't hurt. Rounds should usually be replaced once every several months. Flats can last pretty long, but 3 years is an eternity for strings.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Oops. They're rounds. Guess I'd better hop on that, haha. Thanks.
Quote by diofan88
You already have an alcohol problem: The problem being, you lack alcohol

Quote by laid-to-waste
no, this is the first time i've ever rubbed another man's nipple in a jacuzzi

it was horrible
There's nothing wrong with replacing strings at regular intervals, and in many cases it would be encouraged, but if they're still giving you the sound you want, I don't see why you should you do it perfunctorily.

Some say that's where a lot of the Motown sound came from.

I'd definately say keep a spare set on hand, in case you break one, especially if you're gigging, but otherwise I don't thnk it's something you have to rush on.

As an aside, if you like not having to worry about strings so much, you might want to give coated strings a go. I've been using the DR Neons lately, and I love the shit out of them, they sound great and look pretty cool too.
Don't read my post and go with that. This guy isn't wrong ^^. If the strings feel good and they give the sound you want you can keep them on there, it won't cause any harm. Like I said I would recommend you change them, but you can keep them on.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
I was just playing Devil's Advocate here; I personally love new strings. For me, bass doesn't sound good without a bit of a click to it. I personally would probably change them, just saying you don't really have to, if you don't want to.
If they're doing what you want them to do, you don't need to change them.