Page 1 of 2
so i'm looking for a true tone monster that can get some bonecrushing metal tones. i'm playing through a solid state marshall mg250dfx and a schecter c-1 hellraiser with emg 81/85 as well as a cort x-6 vpr with dimarzio x2n in the bridge. i'm thinkng about something like a vox ice9 or satchurator to push an overdriven amp to higher gain. pedal suggestions for a solid state? i've also been looking at the boss st-2 powerstack
a new amp would be best for sure. a good tube amp would really help those emgs sound greater.

but to answer the question. the boss powerstack is crap IMO. in all honesty all boss distortion pedals dont sound good. you can get much better distortions for the money. a metal muff sounds pretty good. ive heard a barber dirty bomb mentioned here but ive never used one.
new amp?
not to be an ass, but the marshall MG series cant do bonecrushing metal well, if at all
you need a new amp. no matter what pedals you run through an MG, it won't sound good. you're probably better off saving up and getting a better amp.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Honestly, I like my Marshall MG with a Metal Muff over my Peavey 6505+, so I would recommend a pedal with the MG.
also, define "bonecrushing"
use band and song examples. preferably with links.
i had an MG, and i didnt like it at all for metal. i dont want to be like everyone else here and jump right on the "get a new amp" train, but they are right.

as far as USEFUL help, assuming an amp is out of your budget/you really like it/it keeps the aliens away, i think a great pedal for you would be the tech 21 sansamp paradriver. you can use it as a pream, or as a stompbox, and it delivers anything from bluesy crunch to SERIOUS metal tones. it has a warm tone to it, which would help with your current solid state amp, and it is VERY versatile. you need a little bit of patience though as it is a bit of a tweaker pedal. very sensitive also.
Not sure if serious.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Peavey 6505 or Bugera 333XL or Bugera 6260.

Best bang for your buck when it comes to metal.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
new amp is out of the question right now and im pretty damn happy with the current tones im getting from the amp but i'm looking to push it further. so don't bother to comment if ur just gonna tell me to get a new amp. yes, obviously a tube would be ideal, but theyre expensive and i dont have the money for it right now. my current amp is the older mg series so it sounds ALOT better than the current ones. and to give some examples of the sound im looking for, all that remains, killswitch engage, august burns red, bullet for my valentine..... etc. i've run a metal muff, fullbore, metal zone, and satchurator through my previous peavey vypyr and they sounded awful, however im willing to guarantee that that just comes with running a pedal through a modeling amp. hence the reason i upgraded a little
new amp is out of the question right now and im pretty damn happy with the current tones im getting from the amp but i'm looking to push it further. so don't bother to comment if ur just gonna tell me to get a new amp. yes, obviously a tube would be ideal, but theyre expensive and i dont have the money for it right now. my current amp is the older mg series so it sounds ALOT better than the current ones. and to give some examples of the sound im looking for, all that remains, killswitch engage, august burns red, bullet for my valentine..... etc. i've run a metal muff, fullbore, metal zone, and satchurator through my previous peavey vypyr and they sounded awful, however im willing to guarantee that that just comes with running a pedal through a modeling amp. hence the reason i upgraded a little

Yeah my Metal Muff running through my Vox Hybrid amp doesn't sound very good.
Quote by farmosh203
Yeah my Metal Muff running through my Vox Hybrid amp doesn't sound very good.

metal muffs don't sound good anyway...

Depends what kind of tone you're looking for and the amp you're running it through.
Quote by bogg808

Forum needs a wake-up call. Thanks for giving it!

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by farmosh203
Depends what kind of tone you're looking for and the amp you're running it through.

Only chance in hell that it will sound good is with a vintage non-master volume amp. Even then, your chances are slim.
Eh, the Metal Muff sounds better than the 6505+ that everyone praises. It's just personal preference.
The metal muff is shit. nuff said. If you want quality dirtboxes, look elsewhere, because the big companys haven't nailed a solid heavy distortion tone.
Quote by bogg808
The metal muff is shit. nuff said. If you want quality dirtboxes, look elsewhere, because the big companys haven't nailed a solid heavy distortion tone.

I think I'm in love...

aww shit, ninja edit!

First one was better.

How about actually suggesting something specific rather than whining about how much it sucks. You're not contributing anything.
He already said new amp. What more is there to say?

Besides awesome EHX bashing, that is.

im not big on distortion boxes (tubes+od is more the thing)...
wampler triple-wreck though would be great.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I think I'm in love...

aww shit, ninja edit!

First one was better.

Other peeps love EHX (things like DMM, POG) but i hate em. I was trying to make less of an overstatement.

Quote by farmosh203
How about actually suggesting something specific rather than whining about how much it sucks. You're not contributing anything.

Any contribution I make in regards to pedals in this thread will be irrelevant because They will (99% chance) not sound good through TS's current amp.
sell your MG and get a line 6 spider.
the III's are the best for your style.
/thread
He already said new amp. What more is there to say?

Besides awesome EHX bashing, that is.

The topic starter said he didn't want a new amp.
He's ****ed then, isn't he?

Check out the Amptweaker TightMetal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by farmosh203
The topic starter said he didn't want a new amp.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
He's ****ed then, isn't he?

This.
I just bought a jet city shockwave for 35 bucks. It has a lot of gain, and brings a nice bit of tight lowend. Kits only 50 new, and sounds better than a bunch of more expensive metal pedals I've tried. But it doesn't do low gain very well, which is fine for a pedal anyhow IMO.
Quote by bogg808

it is worlds better than the boss power stack the TS mentioned. im not gonna lie though i even like an mgs distortion over any distortion pedal (with the exception of some of the nicer upper end pedals). im not even sure why we bother posting in these threads anymore. there is no solution to these except for a new amp.
Dr. Boogie or DieFet. Build it yourself or have someone build it for you. Look at some youtube clips for samples
so it seems that we've established that the metal muff is shit...? so how about some actual suggestions to what i should look into
and to the kid that said get a line 6, if you honestly think that that amp is any good for anything at all other messing around in ur bedroom, u need to seriously rethink playing guitar...... i would by just about anything before i buy a line 6. in my opinion they are truly one of the worst sounding amps made, and everything on them is a fake IDEA of what the models should sound like
Find a Damage Control Solid Metal. /thread
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by andrerist
so it seems that we've established that the metal muff is shit...? so how about some actual suggestions to what i should look into

new amp
Quote by bogg808
new amp

This.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
This.

This.

Wait, what?
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Page 1 of 2