Page 1 of 3
Check out this video I came across today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO8xRRkssEE

The crap that is being put into our food these days for the sake of growing bigger crops and making more money is just disgusting. Whatever happened to good old food? We're being poisoned. Most of us don't have the option to grow our own food because we don't own the necessary land and anything organic costs a good amount more than this shit. THIS PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH.

What do you think?

Also, this guy has an awesome Canadian accent.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
Welp, uuhh... I feel pretty good right now and apparently that's the only stuff I've ever eaten so... somehow unconvinced.
We're only strays.
if it's safe to eat I don't see the problem. The amount of perishable food which is wasted because it doesn't conform to the ideal image is ridiculous, and from watching the video that seems to be his only concern.

"It's huge so it's got to be diseased and poisonous"
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
You're not really being poisoned. Your body adapts to it so that we can withstand it. You'll be fine. Don't be a pussy.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if it's safe to eat I don't see the problem. The amount of perishable food which is wasted because it doesn't conform to the ideal image is ridiculous, and from watching the video that seems to be his only concern.

"It's huge so it's got to be diseased and poisonous"

I don't normally do this, but...

+1
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Frankenberry? Yes, please.

Quote by MuffinMan
I don't... see how that's bad in any way. The guy just goes on about the size of it through the whole video and nothing much else. I don't think it's any unhealthier than regular strawberries, minus whether or not poisonous fertilizer was used in its production.
Quote by WizMystery
I don't... see how that's bad in any way. The guy just goes on about the size of it through the whole video and nothing much else. I don't think it's any unhealthier than regular strawberries, minus whether or not poisonous fertilizer was used in its production.

The point is how did it get that big? When a normal strawberry weighs only a gram or two, how do you suddenly have some that are over 100 grams? It just doesn't seem right.

Quote by MuffinMan
Quote by MusicHead32
The point is how did it get that big? When a normal strawberry weighs only a gram or two, how do you suddenly have some that are over 100 grams? It just doesn't seem right.

Well it tastes the same, it's not going to hurt you, and you have more food.
I see no cons to it. You're overreacting.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
GM food has saved more lives than you can ever imagine. Over billions, and I'm not shitting you.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by MusicHead32

Has anyone died from eating strawberries? Has anyone ever gotten sick from eating strawberries? Is it even possible that our quality of life is affected in any way by eating strawberries?

I highly doubt there's anything dangerous about this. Organic food "movements" seem to target the fertilizer more than genetic modification, which seems to be the method used here to increase size. Genetic modification doesn't involve the insertion of poisons/toxins into the fruit...
Quote by MusicHead32

how did we tame wolves?

how did we beat gravity?

how did we go from barely being able to light fire to sending men to the moon and storing vast amounts of information on pieces of metal and plastic smaller than our fingernails?

we find what works and stick with it, then see if anything improves that.

It might not always be safe, but to dismiss it so casually and with little to no scientific evidence is only going to hinder progress, especially when the problem it's aiming to solve is such a crucial one.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by skylerjames13
Well it tastes the same, it's not going to hurt you, and you have more food.
I see no cons to it. You're overreacting.

Genetically modified foods haven't existed for a very long time. There is no long term research that shows that something like this won't cause harm to you years down the road. Something is clearly being put into the food that makes it grow 5 or 6 times it's own size, so how do you know it won't affect you down the road? Just because something tastes good and you have more of it doesn't mean it's right. Cake tastes good too, but I wouldn't eat the entire thing just because I know it will make me fat in the long run. The same principle could easily apply here.

Quote by MuffinMan
Quote by Eastwinn
GM food has saved more lives than you can ever imagine. Over billions, and I'm not shitting you.

This is the truth. All hippies can fuck off.
if someone utters "um" every two sentences, and uses phrasing like:

"what they do to it with some genetic crap and... you know fertilizer this and.... whatever they do with that"

I think it's safe to say they aren't an authority on the matter

also, pesticides and certain fertilizers I can understand people having issues with, but GM food isn't poisonous, or radioactive, or self aware... people need to stop being such pussies
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
That's messed up man...
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

how did we beat gravity?

Before I realised what you meant I was laughing my ass off at this.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Before I realised what you meant I was laughing my ass off at this.

the answer to all of those questions was 'with a stick'.

Quote by element4433
Quote by MusicHead32
Genetically modified foods haven't existed for a very long time. There is no long term research that shows that something like this won't cause harm to you years down the road. Something is clearly being put into the food that makes it grow 5 or 6 times it's own size, so how do you know it won't affect you down the road? Just because something tastes good and you have more of it doesn't mean it's right. Cake tastes good too, but I wouldn't eat the entire thing just because I know it will make me fat in the long run. The same principle could easily apply here.

You don't get it. There isn't more food for JUST you. There's more food for everyone. A bigger strawberry could be shared.

And it's illegal to send out food products without undergoing serious testing to make sure it's safe for the consumer.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
It is true that there isn't a lot of long term research, but I don't think it matters. If GM food turns out to cause brain cancer at age 70, at least the people who would have starved get the chance to reach that age.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by skylerjames13
You don't get it. There isn't more food for JUST you. There's more food for everyone. A bigger strawberry could be shared.

And it's illegal to send out food products without undergoing serious testing to make sure it's safe for the consumer.

No, I do get it. But clearly I'm wrong so I'll dip on out of here.

Quote by MuffinMan
Quote by MusicHead32
Something is clearly being put into the food that makes it grow 5 or 6 times it's own size, so how do you know it won't affect you down the road?

Do you know how they genetically engineer organisms to make them bigger? They just insert genes from larger strawberries that control the size. That's it. Not chemicals and shit. Just genetic information that's probably close to 99.9% identical to what was already there. It's like selective breeding, but sped up significantly.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
something makes me think, you're vegan, shower once a week, grow hair out to avoid costs and don't use deoderant because the man says so.....

....amirite?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Holy shit that dude has absolutely no understanding of how GM foods actually work....

If it uses a bunch of big sciencey words, it's gotta be bad
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Why the hell is everyone so afraid of genetically modified everything? Like seriously, the amount of ignorance on the subject is amazing. lrn2genetics.

The possibilities of genetically modifying food to increase supply is extraordinary. The possibilities of genetic research in general are amazing, once the public taboo about it is shown to be the ignorance that it is.
If it weren't for genetically modified food about a billion (literally) more people than there already are would be starving right now.
I think we shouldn't **** around with genetics in general especially in our food.
THIS IS A PART OF MY SIG. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AS A PART OF MY POST YOU ARE DUMB BECAUSE LETS FACE IT THIS LOOKS NOTHING LIKE MY POST BECAUSE IT IS HUGE.
Quote by Mr-Mufflers69
I think we shouldn't **** around with genetics in general especially in our food.

Explain why not.
I think the problem here is best explained like this:

I was fine with animal testing, I had no views against it, I never even thought about it.
Then I got two amazingly sweet pet rats.
Now whenever I hear about animal tests on lab rats, I cringe, and if I can I try to buy non-animal tested products.

I'm fine with GM food, I have no views against it, and I never think about it when I eat or buy food.

However, if I were to get a pet Strawberry, I would be pretty pissed.

Tl;dr

The only people who are against GM food, are the ones that have Strawberries as pets.
The only people who have Strawberries as pets are mentally unstable, and so can't make a hearty argument.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
I've known this for years...where have you been?

Anything that is not normal and requires scientists to genetically change the structure of, cannot, in any way, be good for you.

Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it wont. Just because you haven't experienced any ill effects of it, or nobody has documented any proof of it, because it's such a small factor in anything that chronically builds up over DECADES, doesn't mean it's not bad for you and could cause problems down the road.

If you eat organic foods, then you won't even have to be bothered with the notion.
I demand larger strawberries and smaller Canadians!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by ethan_hanus
I've known this for years...where have you been?

Anything that is not normal and requires scientists to genetically change the structure of, cannot, in any way, be good for you.

Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it wont. Just because you haven't experienced any ill effects of it, or nobody has documented any proof of it, because it's such a small factor in anything that chronically builds up over DECADES, doesn't mean it's not bad for you and could cause problems down the road.

If you eat organic foods, then you won't even have to be bothered with the notion.

And how do you suppose we're all meant to eat organic?
There isn't enough food in the world for the third-world countries, let alone with food that hadn't been modified in any way.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
wtf, im canadian and i thought that accent was just standard for most north americans... I barely notice a difference with americans unless they've got a more exagerrated southern/ new joizy accent or something

anyways, i love strawberries, and ive eaten weird as **** shaped ones before, never thought much of it! :O

edit: holy ****, these are frankenberries

i thought he would just keep on bringing weirder ones nonstop
Last edited by piratemetalhead at Apr 7, 2011,
Page 1 of 3