So I finally got me an electric guitar today guys. Its an electric guitar, bought from guitar center, squier affinity with an amp and the whole shabang.

I am very frustrated by this I been trying this since this morning, every chord that I try, my finger ends up muting one of the other strings. For example in the A major chords, My 2nd finger keeps muting 3rd string, and the first finger partially mutes the 2nd string.

I try to really pull the fingers up and if do so then they are not holding the strings hard enough and buzz...

Is this because my fingers are too damn thick or is it just something that will take time. Please help, I want to practice but i cant practice squat if i cant even play strum even once without muting one string or the other.
Practice means working on every little thing until you get it right.

Use the very tips of your fingers, and only use enough pressure to sound the notes clearly.
I bought the same guitar for Christmas Just started playing last Monday. A is my favorite chord and I can play it without muting any of the other strings. xD

Just focus on placing your fingers right, but like my guitar teacher said, don't drive yourself crazy about it either. I have some fat fingers so I know it can be frustrating. Make sure you are bending your fingers at the joint closest to the tip, and make sure your wrist is relaxed too.
Quote by blue_strat
Use the very tips of your fingers

Work on this!

If you've not been using the tips of your fingers to play, it might get some time to get used to it and to build up the calluses, but it'll be worth it.
Also try to keep your thump behind the neck, and dont let it stuck above the neck, because that will change the angle your fingers stand on the fretboard.
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
I will try all the tips you guys have given me and I guess more importantly just keep practicing until i get it
It's going to take you a lot more than a day to get a pleasant sound out of the thing, let alone play a song...just be patient.

Just focus on trying to play single chords at the moment and wrk on fretting them accurately so all the notes ring out cleanly. Don't worry about changing between them or doing anything at any kind of speed, you're doing little more just getting your hands used to the feel of the guitar at the moment.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's going to take you a lot more than a day to get a pleasant sound out of the thing, let alone play a song...just be patient.

Just focus on trying to play single chords at the moment and wrk on fretting them accurately so all the notes ring out cleanly. Don't worry about changing between them or doing anything at any kind of speed, you're doing little more just getting your hands used to the feel of the guitar at the moment.

I am willing to work as hard as it takes and am in no hurry. I am not trying to change between chords, that seems impossible right now, just getting my finger positioned properly without muting the bottom string seems to be the probelm especially the 2nd figner, it keeps muting the string below...