I'm a high school student looking to get community service hours done and I'm looking into doing this hospital program called "Healing With Art" or something. Basically I show up and play music for patients.

I'm worried because I don't know a lot of popular acoustic songs that people might request me to play. It'd be nice to hear from someone that did something like this. What music was most appropriate? Any MUST-KNOW popular songs I should know? What I usually play isn't that mainstream. I have time to get ready for this, plenty of it. This thing doesn't start until the summer break. So if anything, I can start working on a whole acoustic set-list now.

Sorry if this thread isn't suited for this category, I tried my best. Thanks!
Wonderwall. And then all the nurses will want you. I'd advise against anything depressing (as its a hospital).
holy wars... the punishment due by megadeth. lol

just go to the top 100 tabs and pick two or three that you can play and that you like.
Taylor Swift and John Mayer. No lie, chicks dig that stuff. Ladies will dig that stuff.
This is more to benefit the patients, not to get numbers :P

But those are good suggestions regardless, thanks!
anything thats happy and up beat... wonderwall, free fallin, holet california, take it easy (and there are like probably 100 other eagles tracks that would work), layla plus you can just look at the pop and pop rock charts and play acoustic versions of those

also I just read everyone elses responses and I think wonderwall is probably a must since it seems that almost everyon has suggested it haha
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Raining Blood by Slayer.

Or seriously just some top 100 stuff
I leik music
Quote by malmsteensolo
holy wars... the punishment due by megadeth. lol

Oddly enough, I'm working on mastering a cover of it right now. Just as I read this. I've been mastering it for the last two hours.

Play Dethsupport by Dethklok.
That song is perfect for hospitals.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006

Play Dethsupport by Dethklok.
That song is perfect for hospitals.

If you can make that stretch from the 3rd fret of the E to the 8th/9th fret of the D, do this.

Top 100 works too. Just don't try to be funny and cover Friday, you'll get ripped apart.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by YaronFM
This is more to benefit the patients, not to get numbers :P

But those are good suggestions regardless, thanks!

Hospital chicks are easy. Just sayin'.
Quote by TheFerret
Hospital chicks are easy. Just sayin'.

Especially when they are in the morgue...
Erm... What?
..I was watching my death.
I was going to lock this with a link to the set list / suggest me a song threads, but this is just too damned funny.

Doctor, Doctor! - Robert Palmer
I don't need no Doctor - WASP
Sick of Myself - Matthew Sweet
Pinhead - Ramones (I don't wanna be a pinhead no more, I just met a nurse that I could go for...)
Psychotherapy - Ramones
Gimme Shock Treatment - Ramones
Don't Stop Believin' - Gurney (oh, wait... that's Journey... nvm....)
Drugs in My Pocket - The Monks

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I was going to lock this with a link to the set list / suggest me a song threads, but this is just too damned funny.

Yeah I was tossing up with this one too, but for different reasons.

I've played in hospitals many times, due to a rough couple of years during my university degree. It actually is pretty cool, hospitals can be very boring places and it's good to entertain people who can't really get out and see music.

As for what songs to play, just simple acoustic music is fine, crowd pleasers. These can be found with a simple google searches (as can EVERY "suggest me a song thread"). I actually went to visit a mate in hospital once and there was a cute girl in a clown suit playing songs for patients, I joined in with her and we had a really cool jam.

Singing is pretty much a must, unless you have an hours worth of instrumentals up your sleeve.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah I was tossing up with this one too, but for different reasons.

I've played in hospitals many times, due to a rough couple of years during my university degree. It actually is pretty cool, hospitals can be very boring places and it's good to entertain people who can't really get out and see music.

As for what songs to play, just simple acoustic music is fine, crowd pleasers. These can be found with a simple google searches (as can EVERY "suggest me a song thread"). I actually went to visit a mate in hospital once and there was a cute girl in a clown suit playing songs for patients, I joined in with her and we had a really cool jam.

Singing is pretty much a must, unless you have an hours worth of instrumentals up your sleeve.

I pretty much figured. I can't sing, so I'm planning on covering songs by playing the chords and playing the vocal melodies at the same time. That way it doesn't sound like I'm just randomly playing chords. Gotta love fingerstyle.
Quote by YaronFM
I pretty much figured. I can't sing, so I'm planning on covering songs by playing the chords and playing the vocal melodies at the same time. That way it doesn't sound like I'm just randomly playing chords. Gotta love fingerstyle.

Yeah you can get away with that in a hospital, purely because there's no competition. Let's face it, hospitals are BORING. It's good to look at something other than a small crappy tv and some other sick guy for a while.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud