Hey guys I'm thinking about changing my strings from 9s to 11s since 9s sound just so puny and weak.

So when I do change what changes do I need to look at having to make (bridge, truss rod,etc.)
Where's Waldo?

yay
The nut first.
I bought my Strat, came with 8's. I put 10's on it and had to have to nut modded cause the 10 set stuck sometimes.
You will probably also have to redo the intonation.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 7, 2011,
I have a bunch of strats and teles running 9's to 11's, and you shouldn't have to make any changes to make them work, other than perhaps lowering the saddles a bit if the neck bows, which it shouldn't.

In playing, the jump from 9's to 11's is fairly massive, if you play in standard tuning. I'd try 10's first, and then try 11's.
Your nut should be fine with 11's, most nuts are precut to allow up to 11's, and the low E can handle up to like 54 or 56 or something usually before having to be cut. Eh, 56 might be pushing it..

But anyways, with both my Schecter & my Ibanez I was able to string then with 11's and 12's on several occasions without ever having to mod the nut.
9s sound just so puny and weak.

Fact: Frank Zappa used 7s

I absolutely think you should try 10s first if you're in E std. tuning.
Ya I've played my friends strat with 10s on it before and it seemed just a tad harder than my 9s. And the only thing I was really worried about was the nut cause I didn't want to have to get a new one cut.

And on the truss rod it's best to adjust it about 1/4 turn then wait a couple days right?
Where's Waldo?

yay
Quote by Shred-Hed
Fact: Frank Zappa used 7s

proof? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like proof
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
lol 9's sound puny and week....w/e floats ur boat dude. depending on your guitar, all you would need to do is a minor nut filing (probably not) and if you have any style of trem, you will have to tighten its springs....thats about it unless your trying to tune to standard with .11's
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by hawk5211
I have a bunch of strats and teles running 9's to 11's, and you shouldn't have to make any changes to make them work, other than perhaps lowering the saddles a bit if the neck bows, which it shouldn't.
That's terrible advice man. If the neck bows you adjust the truss rod.

TS: check your truss rod. That's something you should do regularly anyway so you know what your neck is doing over time. It only takes a few seconds to check. Familiarise yourself with your guitar.
You didn't say what sort of bridge you have. If it's a trem you may have to adjust the spring tension.
Once that is done check the intonation - another thing you should be doing all the time as well. Intonation shifts give you warning about the health of your strings.
Learn how to set up your guitar and check it regularly. Every guitarist should know how to set up his own instrument, it's all part of being a guitarist.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification